Luke Robinson | Vital Football

Luke Robinson

runcornfan1978

Vital Squad Member
Shaun Maloney will sit down with Sporting Director Gregor Rioch and Luke Robinson to ascertain where the Wigan Athletic left-back will spend the second half of the campaign.

According to reports in Scotland, he's been doing quite well up there. Contract is up too at the end of this season & is still only 22.

Thoughts??

given Tom Pearce is out for a while I expect it might make sense for him to come back and try and earn a new contract.

Maloney has said that he does not want to bring Robinson back if he cannot give him regular game time. He is speaking with Gregor Rioch and the medical team to get a clearer picture of how long Pearce will be out and will then make a decision on whether or not to bring him back.

He’s been used at wingback and left sided centre half and done well for them. If he’s comfortable on the ball and half decent defensively then he’ll probably get a chance for us. Watts has struggled since he came back so I wouldn’t be surprised if we end the loan. I like Rekik but it looks like his loan will end too. If Robinson has progressed well and can do a job for us it’s another academy player in the first team squad.

As soon as we have a player who isn’t comfortable in possession in defence or midfield I think we start to look sloppy and invite pressure. Watts struggles with our passing game and against Derby I think Sze and McHugh were dropped in at the deep end and too much was asked of them. For me Adeeko has also struggled recently but S Smith has improved massively, he looks very comfortable receiving the ball and puts himself about a bit. Magennis also did well tonight showing for the ball and helped us keep possession. I don’t think Lang was missed tonight as he loses the ball a lot, I’d love to see him get back to how we was a couple of seasons ago but he’s really struggling at the moment.

He’s been used at wingback and left sided centre half and done well for them. If he’s comfortable on the ball and half decent defensively then he’ll probably get a chance for us. Watts has struggled since he came back so I wouldn’t be surprised if we end the loan. I like Rekik but it looks like his loan will end too. If Robinson has progressed well and can do a job for us it’s another academy player in the first team squad.

As soon as we have a player who isn’t comfortable in possession in defence or midfield I think we start to look sloppy and invite pressure. Watts struggles with our passing game and against Derby I think Sze and McHugh were dropped in at the deep end and too much was asked of them. For me Adeeko has also struggled recently but S Smith has improved massively, he looks very comfortable receiving the ball and puts himself about a bit. Magennis also did well tonight showing for the ball and helped us keep possession. I don’t think Lang was missed tonight as he loses the ball a lot, I’d love to see him get back to how we was a couple of seasons ago but he’s really struggling at the moment.

What I do like about S Smith is that there are times when he takes the ball on the half-turn and looks to be positive and go forward, Adeeko just seems to have lost that at the minute and in fairness, I think he's just running on empty. Recalling Robinson does give us another option at the back as well

Don't get the Smith hype personally, mainly because he's very poor on the ball, his first touch and control is horrific. Counted a good few times tonight where he got into trouble as a result. Adeeko is around three years younger and will be a far better player long term. I think it's very easy to forget that he's only 20 years old. He's got a very bright future.

Don't get the Smith hype personally, mainly because he's very poor on the ball, his first touch and control is horrific. Counted a good few times tonight where he got into trouble as a result. Adeeko is around three years younger and will be a far better player long term. I think it's very easy to forget that he's only 20 years old. He's got a very bright future.
The first few times I saw Smith play I thought he’d never make it. Recently I’ve changed my mind, he always shows for the ball and is willing to take risks to try to get us going forward. As well as looking tidy in possession he also puts himself about a bit. Adeeko also has potential but has a habit of turning back and most of his passes go that way. I think Smith is ahead of him at the moment as he looks better receiving the ball and can help us build attacks. Having Shaw at the side of him helps too, he was outstanding tonight, especially in the first half.

If I think back to us having Power and Naylor in midfield, what we see this season is a massive change. Neither of them showed for the ball at all and they seemed to go hiding. That’s not saying they’re bad players, I just don’t think we were able to play through midfield at all with them as they weren’t comfortable on the ball.

Hmmmm...not sure Adeeko has that bright a future. Not writing him off just yet but he looks scared shitless of taking any forward movements. S Smith looks a better prospect at the moment.

Hmmmm...not sure Adeeko has that bright a future. Not writing him off just yet but he looks scared shitless of taking any forward movements. S Smith looks a better prospect at the moment.
Agree totally, sorry Adeeko has had his chance for the moment. Scotty has show great improvement 👏.

Neither do I, he gets caught in possession regularly, his passing is suspect only Clare is worse on those points, but the worse for me he never moves into space looking for the ball, he is static and lets opposition midfield players run by him and doesn't track them. Even yesterday the only chance Carlisle had in the first half, the lad who gave away the penalty, curled one over the bar from an excellent position, it was Smith who gave the ball away and didn't attempt to get back.

The first few times I saw Smith play I thought he’d never make it. Recently I’ve changed my mind, he always shows for the ball and is willing to take risks to try to get us going forward. As well as looking tidy in possession he also puts himself about a bit. Adeeko also has potential but has a habit of turning back and most of his passes go that way. I think Smith is ahead of him at the moment as he looks better receiving the ball and can help us build attacks. Having Shaw at the side of him helps too, he was outstanding tonight, especially in the first half.

If I think back to us having Power and Naylor in midfield, what we see this season is a massive change. Neither of them showed for the ball at all and they seemed to go hiding. That’s not saying they’re bad players, I just don’t think we were able to play through midfield at all with them as they weren’t comfortable on the ball.
I agree Scott Smith has improved greatly and fair play to the lad. I’d put him in ahead of Adeeko at the minute. Adeeko has great energy but is poor on the ball

Yes the real world of football

In exactly the same way as our initial admin season, we're having to live with who we've got. Accordingly, you're probably right, some of the lads may not be here had we got access to more resources.

However, they're here, and they're generally putting the effort in to ensure we at least remain a League 1 club for next season, and who should the Gods smile on us, who knows what else.

I really don't get the slagging off of players. Well, no, that's wrong ... i get it from 8/9 year olds ... and I suppose even younger teenagers, who all think they're Jack Grealish. I don't get it from grown ups though. If a young lad's trying, then great, that's what we want. He'll do some good stuff, and he'll make mistakes. Why vilify him for them?

Apparently, Smith was up there with Shaw for MotM last night ... I suppose some will obviously disagree with this. Thank God our opinions are irrelevant.

Whatever we all think of individual players, the one thing that is apparent from these players is their determination and effort, that can't be faulted.

I have at times been guilty of having a go, like Moonay's 8/9 year old kids, but that is and was at the seasoned professionals like Darikwa last season and to a lesser extent Clare this season.

Josh Magennis has also come under fire, but to his credit he was excellent last night, and should get the nod for a starting place if Charlie Wyke isn't fit enough.