Look man. | Vital Football

Look man.

seanbeanstattoo

Vital Football Hero
Liked the kid when he broke onto the scene with Neverton and Ingerland U x,y and z. Loved his open approach in taking a leap going to Red Bull.

Fulham pulled a blinder getting him on loan which leads me to ....

He would have been absolutely perfect for us.
1. Solves the pace up front issue, (yes I know we've got Burke)
2. Can drift past defenders and go for goal. ( See his outstanding one last week).
3. Tracks back and tackles like Osborne.
4. Prem and Bundesliga experience.
5. Very creative at link up.

We could have got him on loan and saved a kings ransom on Brewster to get the RCM/ LCB we so desperately need.

I keep hearing from various sources we are after Brooks in Jan. More I think about it the more I think it would be a crazy,kamikazie waste of money and actually seal our fate.

Great effort last night. Fine margins but yet again. YOU HAVE TO PUT AWAY YOUR CHANCES OR YOU LOSE AND GO DOWN.

Thought the title was an oblique reference to VAR!

He certainly looks good for Fulham and was unlucky not to score yesterday

We don't sign players like Lookman unfortunately.

And if we stumble upon them we waste them.

Re: Brooks. Would be a terrible gamble.
He’s like Crystal glass. Lovely to look at, expensive, but very easily damaged.
While he was with us, the fitness staff spent a lot of time trying to build up his body strength in order to withstand the physical needs of a professional footballer.
Sadly, the way he plays, with wonderful close control, I fear he is always likely to get injuries.
However skilful he is, he is not much use sitting at home nursing injuries - as Bournemouth found out last season.
If we were one of the mega rich clubs, I would say “buy him, he’s great to watch, a potential game changer, and we can afford to take the risk”.
Sadly, we are not one of those.

The more I think about it - is this about whether Wilder, who has brought us so far, is able to take us to the next level - which is actually already the level we need to be at just to survive.

I want to see a change in tactics - we still look so cumbersome as we edge our way into the box - and McBurnie must wonder what he is supposed to be doing, as he never seems available for the early cross anyway. The effective teams in this Div either have pace, or creativity in midfield - but definitely one of them.

I will always be loyal to CW - but hope he can lead us upwards, rather than sideways.

I think we spent so much time on getting Brewster and trying to get a JOC replacement the midfield got overlooked. It is a long time till January so we have to look within. I have been saying put Ampadu in midfield and he did well. Why not a midfield 3 of Bogle, Berge and Ampadu ?. Lots of energy and all of them have good technique.

The more I think about it - is this about whether Wilder, who has brought us so far, is able to take us to the next level - which is actually already the level we need to be at just to survive.

I want to see a change in tactics - we still look so cumbersome as we edge our way into the box - and McBurnie must wonder what he is supposed to be doing, as he never seems available for the early cross anyway. The effective teams in this Div either have pace, or creativity in midfield - but definitely one of them.

I will always be loyal to CW - but hope he can lead us upwards, rather than sideways.
No, it's more about Wilder having the ability and wherewithal to get the right PLAYERS to get us to the next level.

Look at it another way, he got so much out of L1 players last year that we looked comfortable in the PL but that can only work for so long.After a while a magician needs a new deck. a new set of tricks to work his magic on particularly when some wear out or get injured.

Maybe we got out of the Champ too soon( not a theory I subscribe to or CW would want- he's driven by success) and he didn't have time to buils a better squad there to be better equppied, long term, to establish ourselves fully in the PL.

He built a squad to play a certain way and that worked.and worked so well it was respected, admired and fawned over . What he doesn't have is the resources to build a second squad equally as good as his 1st X1 to deputise when injuries hit. That's why he's shoppng for potential not proven , why we have Bogle, Lowe, Brewster , Ramsdale ,Moose etc

That's what we are seeing the results of now- it's not CW's ability threshold that's been breached it's the monetary threshold that's the barrier.

No, it's more about Wilder having the ability and wherewithal to get the right PLAYERS to get us to the next level.

Look at it another way, he got so much out of L1 players last year that we looked comfortable in the PL but that can only work for so long.After a while a magician needs a new deck. a new set of tricks to work his magic on particularly when some wear out or get injured.

Maybe we got out of the Champ too soon( not a theory I subscribe to or CW would want- he's driven by success) and he didn't have time to buils a better squad there to be better equppied, long term, to establish ourselves fully in the PL.

He built a squad to play a certain way and that worked.and worked so well it was respected, admired and fawned over . What he doesn't have is the resources to build a second squad equally as good as his 1st X1 to deputise when injuries hit. That's why he's shoppng for potential not proven , why we have Bogle, Lowe, Brewster , Ramsdale ,Moose etc

That's what we are seeing the results of now- it's not CW's ability threshold that's been breached it's the monetary threshold that's the barrier.

I think he's been given sufficient resources to make the changes - it's his decision how the money is spent and what type of player we were looking to recruit.

It worries me how he is expecting McBurnie to play - ie a winner of knock-ons mainly - what does this stay about our style of play?

The HUGE miss (as was clearly shown yesterday - in defence) is Magic Jack.
Obviously, we miss him in attack as well.
Not knocking anyone who stands in for him, but for us, Jack has been.......... well, magic!
It's shown all season and the back end of last season how much we miss a fit and firing Magic Hat,along with FLECKY i've always thought he was almost impossible to replace for us.UTMPB

The HUGE miss (as was clearly shown yesterday - in defence) is Magic Jack.
Obviously, we miss him in attack as well.
Not knocking anyone who stands in for him, but for us, Jack has been.......... well, magic!
Spot on as always sir!

As is shown by the number of headed goals we’re conceding compared with last season and usually to our keeper’s left. I know Jags is getting on and not as mobile as he was AND he’s right footed AND it means we’ll not have any overlapping CB down our left side but I think playing him at LCB could be our only option until January. I think Ampadu should stay in CM and play Osborne in Fleck’s role with Lundstram making way. Steven’s can fight it out with Lowe for LWB. I don’t think he’s good enough in the air to play CB.

I think he's been given sufficient resources to make the changes - it's his decision how the money is spent and what type of player we were looking to recruit.

It worries me how he is expecting McBurnie to play - ie a winner of knock-ons mainly - what does this stay about our style of play?

Our style of play is a similar conundrum to the the style that Bassett & Warnock had, it's how do leave it behind when you need to upgrade or a new manager comes in, it took us years to get rid of that style which in it's own way was "unique"
Wilder has done the same, a unique style that suits where we are (or actually where we were), it's a style not every player can fit into which limits our marketplace (however much money we have), the style needs to evolve in order to stay in the Prem' hopefully CW realise this and will keep chopping and changing players and style until he gets it right

If shopping at Aldi , yes, if wanting a bit of Waitrose, no- and it's a bit of Waitrose we need.

As I said above re injuries , and others have posted, JOC is the big miss, a superbly fit, athletic , effective defender and great bolster to our attack, who rarely missed a game ergo difficult to replace.As the England manager cannot source a decent left footed centre back across all teams it indicates that sort of scarcity is not available so, to be laying blame at CW's door for not sourcing a slot in replacement is harsh.

As for McB , frankly, and let's all be honest here,he's a waste of money. Silk purse, sow's ear (as he's done before) must have been in CW's thoughts but, regardless of where and how you play him ,IMHO, he's not up to it.He's a grafter, as I've said, he's enthusistic, a trier, will run all day etc etc etc but back to the shopping analogies, if you want best butter you don't get away with margarine.
I, like everyone else, would love him to come good but sometimes you just have to hold your hands up,cut your losses and admit you got it wrong- which is not something a football manager can do as he has to try and recover some of the asset value. It could be worse, we could have done a Lampard and bought a Kepa- and that's why he plays him occasionally- to get another mug to buy him.

Last edited:
The Brewster signing is the one that potentially could get CW the sack. Half the window budget was spent on him, he has to come good, he can't fail - and from the two showings so far he looks raw and will need time to get up to speed with the PL and how we play, time we don't have.

It was a tough ask bringing the volume of quality we needed in the window for an amount half the PL wouldn't bat an eyelid on spending on a single player. But we could have done better than padding out the squad with Foderingham, Jags and Rodwell. The club knew the risk with JOC, not signing cover was negligent.

The lack of use of the foreign market after already beginning down that route baffles me.

Can only assume it was a conscious decision by CW to go young and British. The links are there, especially in Belgium.

Considering the comparative VFM available on the continent it does seem an opportunity wasted.

Does anyone else feel Lundstram is now an albatross? I thought he was garbage until we hit the prem. Then appreciated how much he contributed until he lost it. Seems very hit and miss now. Slow,uncaring,sloppy and happy to get a yellow card.
We can't afford a single passenger for one minute. I so wanted Lunny to kick on. Seems he's coasting to me.

The Brewster signing is the one that potentially could get CW the sack. Half the window budget was spent on him, he has to come good, he can't fail - and from the two showings so far he looks raw and will need time to get up to speed with the PL and how we play, time we don't have.

It was a tough ask bringing the volume of quality we needed in the window for an amount half the PL wouldn't bat an eyelid on spending on a single player. But we could have done better than padding out the squad with Foderingham, Jags and Rodwell. The club knew the risk with JOC, not signing cover was negligent.

I know its irrelevant but the striker we needed a long time back was Danny Ings. Brewster will not keep us up. Our team as a unit might.