Long on Loan at Boston United | Vital Football

Long on Loan at Boston United

Would have though NL as well, but I'd imagine this will allow Sam to still train with us on days Boston don't go in.

Not sure playing at that level will keep him in the Scottish U21 squad though

A bit of a waste - surely was getting better experience at Drogheda?

A kick for those like me who thought at the start of summer Long could challenge for number 1.

Good move and needs another year to play regularly. Obvious potential but believe we need to blood him carefully.

A bit of a waste - surely was getting better experience at Drogheda?

I generally agree but such a loan deal is classed as an International one and cannot include recall options so I suspect that is one of the reasons that wasn't considered plus the fact that their season is finishing October I think so would leave him unable to play for anyone until January after it concluded

Disappointing, should have been aiming for National League.

Agreed.

Thought he’d have plenty of suitors in the NL who would’ve been happy to have him as their number 1.

Hopefully if he impresses then we can send him to a higher division in January.

At least he is not sitting on the bench with the Imps. Any game is a bonus. Looks like more players could go there. Certainly a higher step than Gainsborough.

Read the statement by Jez George and it makes a bit more sense. Looked at a professional loan higher up the pyramid, but they want him to stay in the clubs environment, and there is easy recall if needed.

Would have preferred a higher level, but can understand Jez's reasoning.

I have a feeling that, on pre-season form, Wright has moved ahead of Long. Which makes it a real make-or-break season for Long.

I think that is a wise loan move.

Boston have great facilities, Long will be able to train with us full time then join up to play for Boston at the at the weekend.

He will still be around everyone and will still feel part of the squad and can be closely monitored in training by the manager and coaching staff but will get that all important game time at Boston.

I was hoping for national league as well, but hopefully it will help build his confidence. If he does exceptionally well, potentially look to move him up in the 2nd half of the season.

Would have preferred a higher level, but can understand Jez's reasoning.

I have a feeling that, on pre-season form, Wright has moved ahead of Long. Which makes it a real make-or-break season for Long.
Wright was signed as a No 2, was the unexpected injury and probably lack of other loan options that gave him some games. I still think we value Long as the better long term prospect. Would have to ask what good it would have done him to sit on the bench for 46 games.