Loic Remy - Deal Resurrected? | Page 13 | Vital Football

Loic Remy - Deal Resurrected?

I'm genuinely past caring about what happens. There is little point in planning anything when you have a huge ego like Ashley at the helm. My support for NUFC is mostly running on memory. Nobody can take away the wonderful memories, and I do live in hope that one day we will have a club that is able to create more of the same. NUFC has been a huge part of my life, too big if I'm honest. Not just the financial side (which has been considerable) but also the emotional investment. I just can't be bothered with all the lies and deceit, but most of all I can't accept the utter contempt in which the supporters have been held. Without us the club is nothing, but with us all on the same side we could be anything we want to be. That's the real tragedy, and one I no longer wish to participate in. Me and thousands of others. What a bloody waste.

Caught the beginning of this story late last night here and woke up to the news that he's more than likely off to QPR. If they're offering daft money then it's no surprise he chose London instead of Tyneside. Simple maths really.

The sooner people reconcile themselves with the fact that football, from top to bottom, is now solely about money the easier it will be to swallow events like this. Players don't play for the shirt or the fans, they play for the wedge. Sad but true.

We just have to hope that we have other credible options......

Seen a couple of articles this morning saying nothing has been decided yet. Marseilles have said he's still considering his options. With any luck debuchy and cabaye have been on the phone trying to persuade him to come here. Sadly Geordieracer is more than likely right, it's all about money these days, hence the frankly ludicrous ticket prices we're seeing (that drew a protest from a random city fan at the weekend). This is why we should cap wages, as it would reduce the costs of clubs and would mean they could reduce ticket prices for the supporters for whom it is becoming harder to afford to attend matches

initially a lack of fitness, followed by a lack of form i think Taff. Not exactly been setting the world alight.

Interestingly QPR have supposedly refused to comments on the reports linking them to Remy, although this was on ITV sport so could be rubbish

TD, I have discussed this with a few people and all they mention is a heart condition and that he has not been injured. I am wondering whether this fella really is the business now. The top clubs are no longer chasing him. And maybe we have enough French players in the side already.

It's a fair comment Taff. His form has certainly not been good this season, which has seen his value plummet from around 20 million to less than ten. As i've said on another thread though, it's not the quality of the player we're missing out on that concerns me. It's the principle that we're losing out to a smaller club that is below us in the league

Remy apparently citing our form as his concern. Versus a team who is bottom of the league and won twice in ten months. Don't kid yourself bonny lad it's about the money.

Clearly a desperate attempt not to look like a money grabber in the hope that if we survive and QPR go down we'll come back in for him. Obviously he thinks in our despair we'll forget that QPR are still below us in the table. although in fairness their recent form is actually better than ours

Geordieracer69 - 15/1/2013 09:56

Remy apparently citing our form as his concern. Versus a team who is bottom of the league and won twice in ten months. Don't kid yourself bonny lad it's about the money.

Just as well we weren't concerned about his form then otherwise he would still be stuck in the Veledrome.

2 weeks ago he wouldn't even speak to Redknapp,now he's signing.Pretty obvious that a big fat pay packet turned his head.
Dont get me wrong,id have been delighted if he had/does sign but part of me does worry his first step would be asking for directions to the diamond strip not to the training ground.
Might be a bullet dodged if all he's after is money,all depends if we have a plan b,c & d though.

We can't keep calling these players greedy bastards the simple fact is we won't pay decent players the going rate just look at the players we've missed out on
De Jong, gamiero, gervinho, Ba and now remy are they really greedy bastards NO they were just offered the kind of wages most clubs will pay

We won't get anyone who has anything about them as other clubs will pay the going rate the only players we will get under Ashley is ones either nobody's ever heard of or nobody wants

I don't recall most of those being called greedy bastards. De jong we never had a bid accepted, Gamiero didn't want to come to england, gervinho WE turned down cos his attitude sucks (started texting during contract negotiations). Ba may have been a tad greedy but at least he moved to a top club playing in europe. Then look at our squad, the likes of ben arfa, Cabaye, Cisse, Santon and a couple of others, when on form would get into most sides in the top flight, including those at the top of the league, yet they play for us on our "below going rate" wages. Whether that's because they see us as a stepping stone or some other reason i don't know, but clearly our lower wages are deemed enough by some players. Ashleys budgets are restricting us, and it is going to cost us, but the players aren't above blame, if it was footballing reasons Remy would (probbaly) be a newcastle player right now.

Wrestleuk - 15/1/2013 11:00

We can't keep calling these players greedy bastards the simple fact is we won't pay decent players the going rate just look at the players we've missed out on
De Jong, gamiero, gervinho, Ba and now remy are they really greedy bastards NO they were just offered the kind of wages most clubs will pay

We won't get anyone who has anything about them as other clubs will pay the going rate the only players we will get under Ashley is ones either nobody's ever heard of or nobody wants

sad but true,..ba was probably valued at £15m and that is what we need to pay for the same quality striker, and match wages other clubs are prepared to pay for top players...although a wage cap sounds sensible in theory it could be our ticket to relegation..

Remy ain't worth 80k per week end of , its a problem for us because there is no level playing field now as some clubs will pay whatever and clubs like us and Arsenal will work within a cap , ultimately it needs sorting across football

with our current structure I am glad we didn't compete only because of the disharmony it would bring amongst the team

Platinii - 14/1/2013 21:57

Rza - 14/1/2013 20:39

Spot on chief, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pay someone their true value. Ashley is too stubborn, the fucking miserable fat ****. People are wondering why our players want to leave

So you think Remy should be paid 50% more than the best players at the club?

I wasn't talking about Remy, I was talking about negotiations with players in general - Ba included. If we'd have bit the bullet and paid what he deserved, we wouldn't be in this embarrassing predicament. Good to see you're the latest to fall for Ashley's propaganda machine.

Toongeek is right, squad harmony is important. Must admit if i was a professionl footballer earning say 30K a week and someone who was no better than me came in and got double that i'd be pretty annoyed. I agree that sometimes we do need to bite the bullet, but Remy has shown (or will have shown if he goes to QPR) that his biggest motivation is money, and that's the kind of player we SHOULDN'T bite the bullet on. Ba we should have upped the wage offer but i suspect that both parties got sick of negotiating with the other in that situation

There are reports in France that QPR are paying £83,000 a week (€100,000) and have guaranteed him a FREE TRANSFER if they get relegated. I am no fan of Ashley's but it would be madness to offer those terms. We would be in danger of .....eeerrrmmm...... doing a Leeds? I know, I know, I'll get me' coat.