Loans | Vital Football

Loans

EagerExile

Vital Squad Member
At the risk of turning this back into a football forum -

Is anyone else getting twitchy about the lack of new faces? I know the window's got a while to run yet, but Evans was talking before Christmas about strengthening. So what's going on? Was Evans just saying what he knows the fans want to hear, is Scally not making money available, or have our targets decided not to come to GFC? Maybe a combination of all three?

Or will we all get a nice surprise later in the week with a couple of quality signings? God knows we need them, especially after the loan recalls.

As I posted on another thread, I think Evans will go down the road of experience in any new signings.
A bit like the signing of Ollie Lee last season.
Certainly with CB cover.
Maybe a couple of ex championship players looking for a contract.
Time will tell but that seems to be his M.O.

Eager, SE likes the revolving dressing room door, we`re surely not done yet !
SE indicated, at least a week ago, that he had already decided the GFC status of the loan players. It would be reasonable to think that Robertson, for sure, was on his "retain" list, possibly Eccles also. So does that mean he now has to add to his previously worked out shopping list ?

If we see half a dozen or so new faces then it could be that SE had counted his chickens a tad early. Didn`t he hint that his plan was to get three or four new faces, perhaps that`s now five ? I`m currently in the "nice surprise" camp but will extend your week to a fortnight.

I like our young centre backs, but it`s surely a good bet that SE will bring in an older head to help out the back line. A quality striker (yes we all want those) must figure in the new signings.

The loan recalls should free up some cash for new signings, the Arsenal lads could well have their full wages covered by their parent club. I expect some new players before the next game. A scratch sides against Accrington and Lincoln will struggle, Evans will almost certainly have started talks with any targets he has in mind, and expect news by Friday.

Sean Clare's signed for Burton on loan from Oxford! Another one who hasn't lived up to early promise, maybe.

Think SE said last week that they’d had 2 targets that for different reasons did not materialise. One apparently wanted to stay with his parent club.

I would say that it would be logical to go for players that Evans believes could be good permanent signings. With the message do well for me and we can sort a long term deal for you as soon as I can get your registration.
Short term with a view to long term appears to be the best way forward in my view .That way we are hopefully not trying to recruit a whole team again next year if even half are a success it will help recruitment next season.
We need lads who will feel part of it and fight for Gillingham I believe even if the quality suffered slightly having a determined team is far better for results.

Wonder how many of the season-long loans we`ve now let go (been recalled) will be re-loaned by their parent clubs to other L1/L2 teams ? Wouldn`t be surprised to see both of the Arsenal lads go out on loan again during the next week or so.

Wonder how many of the season-long loans we`ve now let go (been recalled) will be re-loaned by their parent clubs to other L1/L2 teams ? Wouldn`t be surprised to see both of the Arsenal lads go out on loan again during the next week or so.

I reckon Robertson will be staying at Celtic, but possibly return here after their Covid issue subsides.

Eccles I think will stay at Cov but Drysdale loaned again.

The Arsenal pair should go out elsewhere. I bet Coyle would prosper at somewhere like Crewe alongside Mandron in a side that passes it about well.

We only have O’Connor left of our loans is that right? And the new guy in last week.

I reckon Robertson will be staying at Celtic, but possibly return here after their Covid issue subsides.

The Arsenal pair should go out elsewhere. I bet Coyle would prosper at somewhere like Crewe alongside Mandron in a side that passes it about well.

We only have O’Connor left of our loans is that right? And the new guy in last week.
Given O'Connor is clearly never going to make the saints first team. Maybe Evans will try to sign him permanently he has not been as good as last season but perhaps he would feel more part of things if a free transfer could be negotiated. Putting at end to the vast numbers of loans players might help the team togetherness.

Coventry boss saying that Eccles and Drysdale both likely to be loaned out again.

Interestingly, Coventry also have a number of L1 clubs wishing to acquire striker Amadou Bakayoko, who is out of contract in a few months. Probably do a good job for us !