Loan Watch | Page 37 | Vital Football

Loan Watch

A couple of possible scenarios..

1. Freddie stays at Walsall, scores abnother 10 goals, is scouted by a Champ team and nets us £1m

2. Freddie comes back to us but we get a loaneee from Leeds, Walker and House get fit and Freddie spens the rest of the season on the bench, where he is not scouted

3. Freddie comes back but finds the transition to L1 beyond him and voices in the crowd call for Jovon to be brought back into the team

4. Freddie returns, scores 15 goals and walks across the Brayford to sign for.................(enter the neame of your preferred PL team)

What does the team think?
Walker and House will not play again this season. Forget them. Even Hackett has been out for over 3 months.

I was in the 'keep Draper at Walsall' camp, but I'm swaying towards recalling him now.

10 in 19 at Walsall is a decent record at L2 level (and bottom half L2 as well, he's hardly in a decent side there either), he's physically beyond his age and will handle L1 from that point of view better than Makama does, and will there be a better chance to see whether he's got what it takes given our lack of options up there? It's those sort of circumstances where someone is thrown in and it works. I bet Draper is even thinking that it will/would present a great opportunity or him. Even if we do bring another striker in, we'd still need another in and around the squad anyway.

I think he might be playing in a front two at Walsall, though?

Ok, although I think we should leave Freddie at Walsall, for the sake of his own confidence and development, I’m not completely averse to him being brought back with our current situation of House and Walker out for the season. A lot depends though on who plays up front with him and how much support he gets from midfield and WBs. If he’s getting those opportunities at Walsall he might not get them with us. If Skubala is bringing in a couple of ‘providers‘ (plus Duffy with his superb crossing) I can see it working. We’ll know very soon.

Last edited:
Ok, although I think we should leave Freddie at Walsall, for the sake of his own confidence and development, I’m not completely averse to him being brought back with our current situation of House and Walker out for the season. A lot depends though on who plays up front with him and how much support he gets from midfield and WBs. If he’s getting those opportunities at Walsall he might not get them with us. If Skubala is bringing in a couple of ‘providers‘ (plus Duffy with his superb crossing) I can see it working. We’ll know very soon.
Nobody has said House is out for the season. Hackett should be back training shortly.

I would bring Draper back, as Lukeimp said he is physically beyond his age and scoring, one in two the league below would probably get him offers by league one teams anyhow.

Through injuries our attacking threat is virtually non existent. Season ticket renewals will probably come out February/March and going to watch a game when you know we are highly unlikely to score or have minimal shots on target won’t get people to reach for the cheque book to renew in a rush especially in a cost of living crisis.

After the Bolton game on the 26th we went to a party where three part timers had gone to the match and all said they wouldn’t be going back in a hurry.

The injuries are bad luck, but the fans need to feel there is a shout at scoring and being entertained.

It is a pity because if the three/ four with Montsma, were fit I would be surprised if we didn’t make the playoffs. But it is,what it is and the club has to do the best wheeling and dealing it can in January.

Bringing Draper back based on current performances a no brainer, can’t believe it’s being debated.

However, similar to what I just posted on Bolton match thread, hope we don’t bring him back and play him as lone striker in what is effectively 541. Hoping he makes something happen out of nothing after defending all game. Haaland would struggle in our formation at the minute, whoever is up top come end of January needs better support in terms of our formation and tactics. Genuinely think two Ethans would work well in 4231 or even good old 442!

I would bring Draper back, as Lukeimp said he is physically beyond his age and scoring, one in two the league below would probably get him offers by league one teams anyhow.

Through injuries our attacking threat is virtually non existent. Season ticket renewals will probably come out February/March and going to watch a game when you know we are highly unlikely to score or have minimal shots on target won’t get people to reach for the cheque book to renew in a rush especially in a cost of living crisis.

After the Bolton game on the 26th we went to a party where three part timers had gone to the match and all said they wouldn’t be going back in a hurry.

The injuries are bad luck, but the fans need to feel there is a shout at scoring and being entertained.

It is a pity because if the three/ four with Montsma, were fit I would be surprised if we didn’t make the playoffs. But it is,what it is and the club has to do the best wheeling and dealing it can in January.
After we had recruited some decent options up top, I really thought we would have a good season. I'd had a bet on us finishing top 6 based on that. When the 2 forwards got injured, and I saw the next game revert to back-foot dour defence, I happily took my bet at 70p profit. Before that, my bet had stood at 200% (£10) profit had I taken it.
I just wish we would try something to at least give us a glimmer of obvious attacking intent!

Bring Freddie back and offer Walsall the opportunity to take Adelakun or Makama as both would benefit from the experience.
Great idea - would soften the blow of losing Draper, although whether either of the potential replacements would cut the mustard in L2 is a moot point.

Nobody has said House is out for the season. Hackett should be back training shortly.
I didn’t say anything about Hackett, but House and Walker are definitely out long term. There won’t be much of the season left if and when they get back, so for me it’s pretty much for the season.

A clever back heal, “worked his socks off again”.

Previous game v Crewe, Draper MOTM. Also a fans favourite: “some nice scenes after the game with a hell of a queue lined up for Draper’s autographs and photos in the after match interviews, with Draper staying until the last kid was done.“

All the signs of a player who’s played their last game?

All the signs of a player who’s played their last game?

I think he will play in the FACup for Walsall at Southampton on 6th January, then be back with us for the Wycombe game.

There were a couple of ball flashed across the six yard box tonight that were crying out for a goalscorer to get on the end of them.

I'm not sure we currently play a style that will suit Draper, but when he comes back it should be down to MS to make sure that we start to!

H Cann scores for Posh Sports
Originally planned to go, but rain and LNER cancelling trains through staff shortages (red cards and injuries?) deterred me. So missed 6 goals and red card. Haydens goal was shortly after the latter advantage to take it to 2-2 and eventually win 4-2. Not sure if other loanees also played