Loan Watch | Page 31 | Vital Football

Loan Watch

Remember seeing his performances for the Academy, in their Cup run on YouTube. Clearly a natural goalscorer, he's not particularly my definition of a unit, but he certainly seems to be using all his physical assets to his best advantage, to add to his undoubted skill on the ball.

I think we should leave him there for the season, much as I would like to see him back at the Bank.

The pound signs are spinning on the upward trajectory and he's evidently now a 90 minute player.

Last edited:
It is a first time in a while that we can speak about one of our loan youngsters having a successful loan. I think a lot of credit as to go to how Freddie has applied himself. He is still only a young man . He got into our first team for a few games when very young. Did OK without standing out. Suffered a concussion injury and then had a less than impressive loan at Gainsborough.
A lot of young players would then have gone by the wayside and disappeared as so many do.
But he then made a success at Drogheda and is replicating that at Walsall. A striker who can score goals is worth is weight in gold, what would we give to have one at the moment! Obviously like most of us I have only seen highlights but he really looks a handful for defenders. He looks big and strong and also very mobile but also very skilful with the ball at his feet. His 3 finishes yesterday were excellent and his movement to get on the end of these chances excellent.
I know come January we might still be desperate for a striker and might have to recall him, but I hope not. A full season at Walsall will be great for his confidence and then a full preseason with us and hopefully he will hit the ground running.
I certainly wouldn't sell him at the end of the season he has just signed a new contract and I want to see him in an Imps shirt again. Unless we get a totally ridiculous offer for him I wouldn't take it.
Well done Freddie keep the good work up!

Great hatrick ,2 first time finishes with either foot and a skillfull turn and composed finish As well. At 19 he looks some player and only a few months into a long term deal so we hold the aces and his future looks bright. Interesting to see how the new management team and the club handle him going forward. I would hope to see him in a City shirt for a good while to watch his progression.
possibly our best young striker to evolve at the club since Darren Huckerby

Remember seeing his performances for the Academy, in their Cup run on YouTube. Clearly a natural goalscorer, he's not particularly my definition of a unit, but he certainly seems to be using all his physical assets to his best advantage, to add to his undoubted skill on the ball.

I think we should leave him there for the season, much as I would like to see him back at the Bank.

The pound signs are spinning on the upward trajectory and he's evidently now a 90 minute player.
I think if Walker and House are not match fit by January he has to come back, but if they are fit again then a season there has to be good for him. Dont get stupid bookings for taking your shirt off ! Their Manager sounded a sensible bloke as well !!

How do you define a while and success?
Roughan only last year seemed a success
You are quite correct but can't think of many more. But I am sure this will start the ball rolling with a list of others who have done OK. Ahui looked like he had a decent spell in Ireland but has disappeared in Scotland.
However Draper has not only had an excellent loan spell but has become one of the main players for the last two teams he has been loaned too.

Draper and Benn should both be recalled. I am not sure why they were brought back from Ireland half way through their seasons and then sent out on loan elsewhere after they had already proved themselves.
It's 100% certain we will get good offers for Draper in December let alone next summer. It's fair enough saying we won't sell but if course we will if it's the right offer and more importantly if he wants to go.

Come december we could be in the same position with Freddie that we was with Jack hobbs who i think only played 1 game for us and went to liverpool for a big fee the championship sides will be sniffing round wanting him

Freddie can display his talents in front of a larger than usual audience on Friday November 3rd as Walsall are live on ITV4 against Sheppey United (assuming that we allow him to play in cup games).

Apologies for going slightly off piste, but if anyone else is watching the rugby tonight, is not reserve hooker Theo Dan Freddie Draper's long lost, slightly chunkier brother?