LNER Pitch | Vital Football

LNER Pitch

woodworkimp

Vital Youth Team
I know we have had poor weather recently but does anyone else feel the pitch today in places didn’t look in the best of condition considering the time of year and also on last season?

The pitch certainly isn’t in great shakes right now, this is due to a few reasons.

The main reason is the Everton EFL Trophy game.

Playing on the frost pretty much killed off a lot of all of the surface, which is not only coverage but it also helps keep the sub-surface stable and binded together.

The other related element is the number of occasions the frost covers have been peeled back for inspections/remedial work. I’m told each time we peel back the covers, it is like pulling sellotape from your arm. This too negatively impacts the grass coverage, albeit Everton game is still the principle factor.

The final issues is we have had to limit the hours Brad uses his lamps. The projections were if we continued with the usual trend, it would have cost the club £80,000 in electricity alone. We have had to reduce this to around 1/4 of that. All of this said, the lamps wouldn’t have been able to make a material difference to the points above.

We have no long term concerns and as soon as we get back into growing season the pitch will recover quickly.

Looking forward, the pitch will become gradually worse for Portsmouth, MK and Oxford, with a programme planned to make positive strides (possibly major ones - weather dependent) for the Peterborough game onwards.

The pitch certainly isn’t in great shakes right now, this is due to a few reasons.

Playing on the frost pretty much killed off a lot of all of the surface, which is not only coverage but it also helps keep the sub-surface stable and binded together.

The other related element is the number of occasions the frost covers have been peeled back for inspections/remedial work. I’m told each time we peel back the covers, it is like pulling sellotape from your arm. This too negatively impacts the grass coverage, albeit Everton game is still the principle factor.

The final issues is we have had to limit the hours Brad uses his lamps. The projections were if we continued with the usual trend, it would have cost the club £80,000 in electricity alone. We have had to reduce this to around 1/4 of that. All of this said, the lamps wouldn’t have been able to make a material difference to the points above.

We have no long term concerns and as soon as we get back into growing season the pitch will recover quickly.

Looking forward, the pitch will become gradually worse for Portsmouth, MK and Oxford, with a programme planned to make positive strides (possibly major ones - weather dependent) for the Peterborough game onwards.
Like I have mentioned Liam, was an oberservation, i appreciate you taking your time to come on here and explain the situation, I attended the last fans forum so from conversations on that night am aware of the issues the club can and are facing in terms of finances.

A fair question, quite a few were talking about it at the game, and promptly well answered by Liam. 👏
Absolutely Ed it was an obvious constant topic of conversation yesterday, it was fair to mention it in a thread on vitals too and it wasn’t posted as a harsh criticism more of a fair observation. It would be expected to suffer with the recent heavy frosts but it was worse than I thought it would be

Thanks for the initial question woodworkimp, certainly noted by a few in the stands yesterday and a worthwhile thread, despite some initial hostility. Thanks to Liam also for clarifying.

To be honest I think it looks worse on the TV as opposed to actually being in the stadium and looking at it live.

It looked pretty good for the time of year seeings that it's probably had covers on it for the best part of two weeks recently.

Good to have have a CEO who will come on here and explain the situation and to see Clive in the Fan Zone yesterday and available for a few words !
UTI.

Apologies for my initial reply. Just wish all problems in life would disappear so I could actually enjoy life for once!

No need to apologise football is many peoples release, as much as we have differing opinions, views etc at the end of the day were all imps fans and will support each other I’m sure if and when needed.

It has been a really hard winter. The frosts from a couple of weeks ago have jaded grass all over with lots of bruising to the leaf and loss of colour. Especially where it has seen footfall. There is a lot of grass cover on the pitch and it will soon bounce back with warmer temperatures.

It has been a really hard winter. The frosts from a couple of weeks ago have jaded grass all over with lots of bruising to the leaf and loss of colour. Especially where it has seen footfall. There is a lot of grass cover on the pitch and it will soon bounce back with warmer temperatures.
Thanks Phil, always good to hear from you.

I had a opinion which divided people, some in agreement some others not happy with it, even Liam Scully took time out to comment about the work the club was going to put in to get the pitch back up to scratch.

just got into the ground today and I have to say a massive well done to the ground staff over the period of time Liam mentioned which the club was going to take time to repair the pitch, it looks immaculate so well done to the ground staff.