Lineup v Peterborough | Page 3 | Vital Football

Lineup v Peterborough

Maybe the top end. But one point out of Wimbledon, Rochdale and Coventry probably shows that it’s us being weak rather than the division being particularly strong :surrender:

...sliding towards relegation.
The best players were back today and we lost, again.
Something has to happen.

This division is starting to look a bit strong for our team.
Yes - and that's why the two shabby performances against AFC and Rochdale were so disappointing. There aren't many teams in this league on a level with us. Gallantry only goes so far. We're now in the bottom four after 1 point from 7 games (ouch) - and sadly, I expect us to stay there.

That was a much improved performance against a horrible, moneybags, Steve Evans side. There was a time in the second half when it could have gone either way, but unfortunately evil prevailed, as it usually does, and to be honest was likely to do so from the start.

No complaints about the result, but it was much better than the last couple of games.

This division is starting to look a bit strong for our team.

I think that's slightly overstating it. I think that there are a few teams that are well ahead of the rest in terms of resources, and that's going to make the difference on days like today. Peterborough have spent a lot of money and are up there with the big boys in this division. It was a decent performance today.

Of course, that all counts for nothing if you're going to turn in rubbish against your equals, as we did the last couple of weeks, but I don't think that in terms of playing strength, we're any worse that the rest of the also-rans in this division. It's going to be a hard slog, but it's not all over yet. If we can play against most other teams like we did today, we'll get results.

But at least it showed today that we can provide a good performance. We scored two cracking goals, but later in the game the defence lost shape and again we were giving the opposition far too much space and backing off rather than tackling. Their third and fourth goals were defensive failings.
I was disgusted with the ref, at one stage it looked like he had been paid by Peterborough, as they were getting away with fouls yet he was constantly punishing us. How their number 10 got away with diving so much amazed me. As for not making their players leave the pitch after receiving treatment, which was some six minutes, I found that surprising too.

Lots of positives to take from today's game. Change of line up helped.
Impressed with Parrett, Charles-Cook, Hanlan.
We were poor against a poor Wimbledon side, yet today against top of the league side, we're gutted we didn't get at least a point. I think Ehmer made 2 mistakes for 2 of their goals, apart from that I was pleased with the performance. At 2-1 up, it looked like we'd go on to win, but then they get the break away goals and we're done. We had the greater percentage of play according to the BBC stats.

I was mystified as to why he put Wilkinson on when we needed List, who is always likely to get a goal out of nothing, as against Coventry. Wilkinson's a waste of time unfortunately.

Poor defending and bad organisation. Better attacking play yes, but at the cost of being far too open. As much Lovell’s fault as the players this time, I think.

I was mystified as to why he put Wilkinson on when we needed List, who is always likely to get a goal out of nothing, as against Coventry. Wilkinson's a waste of time unfortunately.

List wasn’t in the squad, I think he got injured in the Faversham match.
I agree that Wilkinson was a waste of time though.

SL has got to be more defensive.

I’ve only been to 3 games this season, but each time we’ve either been carved apart on the counter attack or given the opposition far too much space to get an easy shot on goal.

I’m not pointing fingers at the defence necessarily. It’s the midfield are far too attacking minded.

On each occasion that we conceded today, I looked where all the Gills players were and there were at least 4 players still in the opposition half.

I have a memory, it may be wrong, but I think it was after Ashurst left us -we were certainly managerless- the lads started playing like the shackles were off, lots of attacking, Brazil-like flow, and goals too, but we kept losing.

Now I'm not saying come back Peter, but the ship needs steadying, and that starts at the back.

Match day is truce day. Whatever else I might think of the ****, I usually agree with him on footballing matters.

Yeah I know, I posted it for comedy value, don’t worry I won’t give up my day job ;)

There are so many different personalities/views/discussions on here and that’s what appeals. One thing we all agree on is the Gills though.
(y)

Now now Lark, you aren't allowed to scapegoat poor little Wilko just because he's a ####ing lazy waste of space when the rest of the team are busting a gut.

I thought we played quite well but were outclassed by a clearly better side. Play like this every week and we'll be ok. Need a striker, ie Eaves, on at the start. Also need a competent left back. Ogilvie/Garmston not good enough.
Oppos will target that area every match (as did Posh).

I've always assumed we'd struggle this season. 20th ok by me.

Ps, lots of people were having a moan about the ref. He was ok. We lost to a superior side. Don't do a Garrard and blame the ref. Virtually every fan in the country seems to think the ref is biased against their team. Mathematically this cannot be right. Their ayers did he usual lyimg on the ground shite but he did add plenty of time on.

If one of our players had been pushed over as Dembele (class) was for them we'd have screamed for a pen.