Lineker | Vital Football

Lineker

Ainsworth7

Vital Reserves Team
MOTD being used as a political football has to be right up there with one of the most colossally depressing and mind bendingly tedious consequences of the Culture Wars. And that’s up against some pretty stiff competition.

Still, anything to keep the fried animals sizzling.

Seems borderline impossible to defend on the bbc side - based on both their own guidelines and how they have been interpreted for Alan Sugar, Andrew Neil etc, or even actors etc in their programmes.

Different if Lineker opened match of the day reading open border essays interspersed with shouting fuck the tories, but their own guidance says risk is low where an individual is expressing views on an unrelated area like a sports presenter talking about politics.

I probably wouldn't have used the language he used but it doesn't really matter - it's absurd to force him off the air and makes the bbc look extremely weak / kowtowing to gov. The biggest 'snowflakes' seem to be the MPs who think this is a pressing issue having been utterly useless on a long list of issues including this for a long time.

I don't support him.

Genuine question- in this instance, why not? You can hate left wing luvvies, think the tories' immigration policy is genius (not sure many people do even on the right but still) and not be bothered about lineker as a presenter even... but I think it's very hard to have a coherent position that says you should be taken off air if you tweet something about gov policy. It doesn't even make sense in the bbc guidelines or interpretation of them, and I don't think you can hold a consistent position on it other than people shouldn't be on telly of they have opinions I don't like.

Not a watcher of MOTD or Football Focus , but totally agree with Gary Lineker but support him fully as a man putting forth his thoughts . I don't have a problem with that at all .If i was in the same job as him and the other , i would have done exactly the same as them . If football programs suffer then so be it

The language that Lineker used was disgraceful. He should go for a tour around Auschwitz and talk to the few families of the survivors, if as he implied the U.K. government are acting like the Nazis did.
He wasn't talking about the holocaust. He was talking about the language used by the Nazis in the thirties and what he said is factually correct. Fascism is become real in this country as evidenced by the backlash. Are you with, or against it?

Either way MOTD might be better without all of the pundits! No Micah Richards giggling like a 12 year old is an instant plus. No world beating football legend, Jermaine Jenas, sharing his extensive winning knowledge, no ref bashing having seen the replay umpteen times, no VAR discussions, and no manager bashing from ex-players without the bollocks to try it themselves. I might actually watch it for a change.

Big mistake by GL, thought he was still interesting after he stepped off the pitch for the last time. Ask any youngster about GL and they will say crisps. Have a look on Guido Fawkes website about his tax woes.

He wasn't talking about the holocaust. He was talking about the language used by the Nazis in the thirties and what he said is factually correct. Fascism is become real in this country as evidenced by the backlash. Are you with, or against it?

I think anyone with a functioning brain and who is capable of rational thought (and doesn’t use the Daily Mail as a surrogate) knows exactly the context of which he was referring to. What’s more concerning is the way this has all been weaponised - why the fuck are the Government interfering in sports broadcasting? I genuinely thought Johnson/Truss might have been a nadir. Some hope.

The language that Lineker used was disgraceful. He should go for a tour around Auschwitz and talk to the few families of the survivors, if as he implied the U.K. government are acting like the Nazis did.

I dont understand this argument at all. A comparison with the worst thing to happen isn't to down play it but to show how serious the contemporary situation is or could become (in his opinion). And yes, it's obviously hyperbole, but that's a legitimate rhetorical technique. Do you really feel people will start to undervalue the holocaust if it's ever used comparatively? ... And when that Tory mp Andrew Bridgen said the rollout of the vaccines was the ‘biggest crime against humanity’ since WWII-era genocide' - it was obviously stupid and massively incorrect, but not offensive purely for using the holocaust as a time marker. I just don't get why it has become something unsayable.

If presenters of any political persuasion are allowed to veer from the impartial in entertainment shows, where would it end?