Lincoln Top 10 Managers- Win Ratio | Vital Football

Lincoln Top 10 Managers- Win Ratio

Graham Taylor had a very impressive record as well. For post war managers only 2nd to Danny. Would be interesting to see a 'loss' ratio as well. Tilson would be prominent on that list i think!
MK's win ratio would be skewed by all the draws we had last season.

Just seen this on line and thought some may find it interesting.

Funny how Michael Appleton had virtually the same win ratio as Murph.

No surprise who is number 1 in the win ratio race.

Agreed. Very interesting. Although I'd suggest the rankings also bear out the old adage about "lies, damned lies and statistics". From what I can tell, the figures include cup results, so Messrs Ellis (5) and Loxley (4) benefit from FA and League Cup wins that favourably skew what were otherwise below average League seasons when they were in charge.

Also, some allowance ought to be made for managers appointed in mid-season after their predecessor messed up. Ron Gray and Colin Murphy would surely feature more prominently if you were to exclude the crap they inherited in 66/67 and 78/79.

A bit surprised to see the likes of Sam Ellis and Bert Loxley ahead of certain others, but if the website below is correct:

Ron Gray - 33.99%
John Beck - 34.62%
Bill Anderson - 35.91%
David Herd - 36.78%
Keith Alexander first spell - 27.08%
second spell - 38.03%
So presumably those two are averaged out which keeps him out of the top ten.

As said, Colin Murphy inherited a poor team, plus what would also keep his average down are the last two seasons of his first spell being mediocre. The split for his two spells in charge according to this site are 37.86% and 38.89%.

I really enjoyed reading this and despite a few errors it was interesting to see the results

However, as with most statistics you can interpret them how you choose as there are so many mitigating factors to consider.

You could argue that Danny inherited the worst team of the lot as we were barely hanging on to National league status when he took over.

What is clear though, is that we older imps have been on a hell of roller-coaster ride over the years! We're certainly on a high again, but this time there is a sense of stability that I've never experienced before with LCFC.

I too am grateful for having lived through both the Taylor & Cowley years. Happy days past and present.

UTI

I really enjoyed reading this and despite a few errors it was interesting to see the results

However, as with most statistics you can interpret them how you choose as there are so many mitigating factors to consider.

You could argue that Danny inherited the worst team of the lot as we were barely hanging on to National league status when he took over.

What is clear though, is that we older imps have been on a hell of roller-coaster ride over the years! We're certainly on a high again, but this time there is a sense of stability that I've never experienced before with LCFC.

I too am grateful for having lived through both the Taylor & Cowley years. Happy days past and present.

UTI
I think you make a very good point in terms of the state of the team/ club that new managers inherit.

New managers come into clubs basically for two reasons, either that the previous manager has left because he has put a good successful team together and has had success and has moved on to bigger and better things or that they have come in, struggled and has either stagnated or have suffered relegation and the Directors relieve him of his duties.

So as you say you can always manipulate statistics to suit your narrative but looking at it in black and white my vote for our greatest ever manager (in my lifetime) would go to Danny Cowley just for what he achieved after taking over a team and a club that was close to disappearing into a black hole.

Graham Taylor had a very impressive record as well. For post war managers only 2nd to Danny. Would be interesting to see a 'loss' ratio as well. Tilson would be prominent on that list i think!
MK's win ratio would be skewed by all the draws we had last season.
I worked this out. In terms of %age of losses, Kennedy is 3rd behind Danny and Graham Taylor.

So glad I got to see the Cowley years, the Graham Taylor years, the Appleton years, the Big Keith years, the Murph years, the Schoey year and a bit and the David Herd year and a bit! I'm ever hopeful that the Kennedy years are heading towards a time to be remembered with affection too!
Call me an Imptomist and tickle my arse but maybe, just maybe, the best is yet to come😁