Lincoln City 0-1 AFC Wimbledon: What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Lincoln City 0-1 AFC Wimbledon: What 3 Things Did We Learn?

1. How do you beat Lincoln City in 2021? Now if anyone thinks I am giving away a secret here that managers and coaches of other teams don't know please feel free to delete this point. If you play with a high press and don't allow the defenders and midfielders the time on the ball, you will make chances from mistakes. Wimbledon had done their homework on Tuesday and employed this tactic. Charlton inexplicably didn't on Saturday and we won. So we need to be able to counter the opposition stopping us from playing how we want to, we need to make very quick adaptations during the game. That involves the midfield being switched on to give better options to the defence and goalkeeper.

2. When you look at a dictionary definition of inconsistent there is a photograph of our team. We will have to understand that this is the nature of a team still coming to terms with each other and there will be further matches like Tuesday where it just doesn't happen and the players look like they've been introduced to each other about five minutes before kick off. I suspect that we will see one good performance swiftly followed by a not so good one for the rest of the season. It isn't going to be pretty on occasions.

3. In the summer of 2020 Alex Woodyard was released by Peterborough. It was mooted on this forum as to whether he would be a good signing for us. I like many thought we'd moved on and should have been looking at better. After Tuesday night it is clear that if he was wearing the red and white stripes, the result would have gone our way. He ran the match from the middle of the park and showed exactly what we could have done with. Quality player still

I suspect that we will see one good performance swiftly followed by a not so good one for the rest of the season

That's really scary. If that was the case then we would NEVER be consistent. After this (inconsistent) season where we are work in progress there would inevitably be some new signings again which would mean another inconsistent season.. 😊
Other than this agreed with everything 👍

From my point of view not sure If I've learned 3 (new) things but I'll try.

1. On that night to forget we lacked many things as a team but one thing is especially annoying for me this season (the lack of it). That thing is very important in football at any level. That thing can kill opposition. Sometimes even without playing good. I can't understand why we allowed to not have (almost) any at our disposal. That thing is pace. There is not enough of it in our team at the moment. Only really rapid player we have got right now is Bramall who doesn't play too often (and doesn't play too good neither).

2. Another example of a player who drastically improved under MA is Poole. I know he didn't play but that made me think how better player he is now comparing to his start at the club and how important he became for us. That's not only because TJ played bad. That's mostly because how good Regan is playing now.

3. Even 617 lads can be quiet for most of the game. Very unusual. Hopefully it won't happen too often as they are heart of the atmosphere at the Bank.

Last edited: