Life Outside Wigan | Page 5 | Vital Football

Life Outside Wigan

His initial post suggested that his kids were also treated as not welcome for not being at SP. He's deleted all his other posts now, but they're obviously fairly young (though I'm not sure if he said his eldest is now capable of going by himself) ... so given that we left SP in 1999, what's the likelihood that anyone would be berating or unwelcoming toward someone who wasn't even born when we left there? It just didn't add up.

You're right that some of the replies to him were maybe uncalled for, but bugger me, he certainly matched them with his own responses.

When questioned about specifics of his story he kept dodging gaslighting or giving vague answers. You'd think if he had so many examples of being treated 'second rate' he'd have had no problem using them to justify himself. But all we got were nebulous things about how he felt rather than what actually happened. Funny that.

Sorry Moonay but as I said to Fazman, after his initial post most were sympathetic including yourself but he didn't respond to them just merely wanted to rant about how shit the club is, how shit the fan base is & a general rant about nothing really. I'll ask u what I asked Fazman, any idea on the real reason for his rants / posts etc. Like I said earlier it seemed he had a chip on his shoulder & never gave any real facts to his posts despite enquiries to them.
I agree with your first bit Jock, so not really sure why you're sorry. No idea why he posted that ... or why he continued to look on here and respond when he'd no intention of remaining to be a fan.

As they say though, there's nowt as quare as folk !

I agree with your first bit Jock, so not really sure why you're sorry. No idea why he posted that ... or why he continued to look on here and respond when he'd no intention of remaining to be a fan.

As they say though, there's nowt as quare as folk !

Based on his behavior despite him claiming he's happy that he's got a new club, he's really not. It's a bit sad really.

& also bit suspicious if as Moonay has said he's removed some of his posts....strange person indeed.
Other than the opening post on the thread (which is presumably why he can't delete it) can you see any others?

The replies that other posters have made to his posts still carry the copy of the post he made, but the posts themselves have disappeared ... I've double checked I've not mistakenly got him on "ignore"!

Edit - Click on his name in that opening post, and it says he's only got one post ... that one.

If memory serves me, Mr Smith had some problems with the club during the administration, can't remember what it was exactly but I think it was to do with either a donation or offer of assistance which was refused.

If that is what he is upset about then turning on the fans and the club is not the way to go in my opinion.

If memory serves me, Mr Smith had some problems with the club during the administration, can't remember what it was exactly but I think it was to do with either a donation or offer of assistance which was refused.

If that is what he is upset about then turning on the fans and the club is not the way to go in my opinion.

Amongst his replies, he said in response to when people questioned him as a supporter:

'i would praise those who were playing well but were scapegoats and get frustrated with those who could have played far better and were home grown, so were exempt from any form of blame. I dont think the academy is as good as people say it is in comparison to other clubs and this opinion seems to be unwelcome.'

It sounds to me like he wasnt shy about being vocally critical of certain players and the club and fellow fans defended them and he got into an argument with them. He also said this happened 'more than a dozen times' in 3 seasons - so it sounds like he wasn't shy about letting people know his opinion but didn't like responses he got. Which is kind of the theme of his posts on this thread.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't end up in arguments with anyone when I go games let alone more than a dozen in 3 seasons. Seems to me Mr Smith may be the cause of his own issues. If his attitude and tone towards fans in real life was the same as it was on here it's probably not suprising.

Last edited:
I've just explained what I think his reason for the initial post is. We aren't welcoming as a club fanbase.

His replies are just biting back that I can see but I've not gone through the whole thread but the posts on this page come across as a pile on.

Not sure if this may be of interest to you Fazman as you feel as a club we're not very welcoming to new fans etc & I seem to remember one of your posts in a thread mentioning how the club isn't all that geared up to facilities etc for minority groups / disabilities etc.

Not sure if this may be of interest to you Fazman as you feel as a club we're not very welcoming to new fans etc & I seem to remember one of your posts in a thread mentioning how the club isn't all that geared up to facilities etc for minority groups / disabilities etc.
Hi Jock,

I did plan on replying to that over the weekend but life had other plans unfortunately.

Thanks for reminding me though and I will reply to it in the morning.