Leyton Orient Game to be played again | Vital Football

Leyton Orient Game to be played again

Sensible decision. I assume all tickets will remain valid. Will that also include any IFollow purchases?
I'm sure we'll find out when the game date is announced

Just seen someone post on twitter that we should let them walk a goal in so we basically start the game from 1-0 down after a few seconds.

No idea who this guy is but seems a very strange thing to do.

Edit - (Seen this several times now so maybe just me who thinks its a stupid idea).

I really really do not think this is an option.

I would not expect a team to let us do that for an abandoned game.

Shall we also not play Sorensen as he went off injured.

Might as well not play with a striker as we had none on the pitch when the game was called off. (OK that one about the striker might happen anyway).

Last edited:
As distasteful as it may feel, and for a number of reasons, there really wasn't much chance of there being any decision other than this.
I'm sure the occasion will be marked appropriately, and fully expect the football gods will see to it that Orient win anyway!

Just seen someone post on twitter that we should let them walk a goal in so we basically start the game from 1-0 down after a few seconds.

No idea who this guy is but seems a very strange thing to do.

Edit - (Seen this several times now so maybe just me who thinks its a stupid idea).

I really really do not think this is an option.

I would not expect a team to let us do that for an abandoned game.

Shall we also not play Sorensen as he went off injured.

Might as well not play with a striker as we had none on the pitch when the game was called off. (OK that one about the striker might happen anyway).

Really, well that's just not going to happen and is why their manager wanted to get the game re started.

You simply cannot replicate any of the conditions of that night so the only thing you can do is replay the whole match.

I would be absolutely livid if we let them score from the kick off.

Yes, it was tragic circumstances of why the game was abandoned and we all have sympathy for the person who lost his life and his family and I'm sure they'll be a fitting tribute but the wheel keeps turning and there's going to be 3 points up for grabs....3 points we desperately need.

My own view was that the result should have stood, but that said, now that it is going to be replayed, it’s a great chance to get something out of a match that we had effectively lost.

Sentiment simply cannot play a part in the decision making process. You have rules/laws and they must be followed. The game has to be replayed from the start.

As cold as the above paragraph sounds, it's not meant in anyway to downplay or disregard the tragedy of the original game. Anyone with an ounce of compassion knows the outcome of the game matters little after what happened. But for the integrity of the competition, the game must be replayed in full.

I guess the easy joke is on current form we won’t need to purposely let them go 1-0 up as they will anyway.

Sensible decision. I assume all tickets will remain valid. Will that also include any IFollow purchases?
I'm sure we'll find out when the game date is announced

I've had a fairly quick look at Leyton Orient's website but can't readily find anything about what happens in the case of abandoned matches.

In the Terms and Conditions on our own website it states:

"If the Match is played but abandoned after half time, Home Match Ticket holders will be required to purchase another ticket for the rescheduled Match."

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same with Orient but we'll have to wait and see.

We've not much precedent to go on - I see from the Nannestads' book that the last City game to be abandoned was all the way back in 1992 when fog closed in at Sincil Bank during half time of the match with York. I had a season ticket at that time (and also when the home game with Crystal Palace was abandoned in 1976) so it didn't bother me financially.

I think the last away game abandoned was the one at York when David Longhurst died. Did anyone on here go to the replayed game? But with pay at the turnstile being the norm in those days there would have been no provision for tickets remaining valid.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't have to pay again on iFollow, but there again we'll have to wait and see.

I've had a fairly quick look at Leyton Orient's website but can't readily find anything about what happens in the case of abandoned matches.

In the Terms and Conditions on our own website it states:

"If the Match is played but abandoned after half time, Home Match Ticket holders will be required to purchase another ticket for the rescheduled Match."

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same with Orient but we'll have to wait and see.

We've not much precedent to go on - I see from the Nannestads' book that the last City game to be abandoned was all the way back in 1992 when fog closed in at Sincil Bank during half time of the match with York. I had a season ticket at that time (and also when the home game with Crystal Palace was abandoned in 1976) so it didn't bother me financially.

I think the last away game abandoned was the one at York when David Longhurst died. Did anyone on here go to the replayed game? But with pay at the turnstile being the norm in those days there would have been no provision for tickets remaining valid.

I'd be very surprised if we didn't have to pay again on iFollow, but there again we'll have to wait and see.
After that shower on Saturday they should pay us £10 to watch!

It as always going to be replayed, so no surprise at this news. I suspect if the game was 3-0 or something the outcome may have been different? But 1-0 with 6(?) minutes left plus injury time was never going to have the result stand.

Personally, I'd be happy for us to give them a goal head start. They'd earned a 1 goal advantage when the game got cancelled in such tragic circumstances.

Yes, we could've gone on to win or get a draw, but the odds are they would've got all 3 points. We'll never know for sure, but what we do know is they were 1 up with less than 10 minutes to play, so it feels like the sporting thing to do.

Personally, I'd be happy for us to give them a goal head start. They'd earned a 1 goal advantage when the game got cancelled in such tragic circumstances.

Yes, we could've gone on to win or get a draw, but the odds are they would've got all 3 points. We'll never know for sure, but what we do know is they were 1 up with less than 10 minutes to play, so it feels like the sporting thing to do.
I think you are very generous, you have to remember the result will effect other teams in this League and not just these two, and could have a bearing on play offs or relegation for other sides as well. The tragic circumstances of the man dying have to be separated from the football side in my opinion.

I think you are very generous, you have to remember the result will effect other teams in this League and not just these two, and could have a bearing on play offs or relegation for other sides as well. The tragic circumstances of the man dying have to be separated from the football side in my opinion.
No doubt in my mind the result would have been 1-0 had the game finished. From a purely football point of view we are very fortunate to get another go at all.
From a human point of view the result matters not one jot when judged against the circumstances. Of that I'm sure we all agree.