Levels of hypocrisy and the fundamental attribution error | Vital Football

Levels of hypocrisy and the fundamental attribution error

carlosvendetta

Vital 1st Team Regular
Hey. This might be a long one, so, have missed this and these past few months and years have left me thinking. Interesting window and times, so had me thinking about the above. Let's be honest, we're all hypocrites; we set our parameters for what we expect of others and then promptly fuck about with those boundaries in private.

Publically, I hate Ashley, I hate sports direct and every tool that has enabled them to be as profitable as they have been. But I love bouncy Wimbledon balls and the feeling that you get when you pop a new canister and youexperience that stale rubber smell and you know those balls are going to bounce high. All for 4.99, I love cheap tennis, thanks mike. Hypocrite. Anyone who grabs a bargain is probably lining a billionaires cock somewhere down the line.

Anyway, why I love nufc and the whole fundamental attribution error. It's one of my favourite things in psychology. An experiment where participants were shown an animation of circles and triangles engaging with each other, just basic patterns of shapes moving together and interacting with each other. Point is, nearly all the participants, when asked to explain what was going on in the animation, instead of just saying, square bumped in to triangle and then circle bounced off the screen, attributed the behaviour to human patterns, the two triangles were a couple and the circle was trying to divide them etc. In other words, the findings supported the view that humans need to attribute meaning to things, it's one of our aims, to make things meaningful. I grew up I'm west wales but all of my family are geordie, my father was an engineer and he got work designing a roads in wales so moved south. I grew up in Welsh wales and went to a Welsh primary, I experienced what you would openly call racism now and my only escape was at every school holiday where the family would return to Newcastle to just be with people they related to and weren't trying to exclude them. They were my happiest times in childhood, surrounded by family from benwell and hexham all eager to catch up and celebrate each others' company. That was when I was carried through town on the way to matches and spent many games getting pissed on but hyper stimulated to fuck.
Sure we all have our own story and the layers and depth of meaning we've all put on it , that's what defines what this all means to us. One of the events that hit me hardest was Carroll being sold to liverpool. At the time, I'm convinced he wanted to stay and be a local hero so that just stamped ashley for me. This was new football and nufc were balls deep. Owned by a man for whom every decision was driven by their own philosophy on the 'profit motive'. For some its invest in expensive quality, go for the top end, for others its minimise costs and go for the biggest profit margin etc. You know who we got.
Anyway, this brings me back to now, moving on from our austere Spanish friend who is a very clever manipulative but benevolent fella. Our possible buy out from an Arab (monarchy?) that has made its billions from reaping a resource that is killing our planet, and that has maximised revenue by effectively utilising a slavery endorsing economy. Ironically, the fella who headed up said company actually has invested significantly in educational and innovative projects, but seemingly lacked the clout. So, I accept, within the relatively restrictive human rights violations you can bend in the uk, Ashley has done his best to hit most, if not all of them - is he really morally more bereft than an owner from another source of billionaire income? Varying degrees of hypocrisy again, get rid of MA but replace with more hidden, less overt unethical behaviour. I suppose, they can make money however they want, as long as they dont lie to the fans, right?

So, then I came back today. For the record, I think AC is quite probably a dickhead and has undoubtedly pissed many people of in his lifetime and definitely behaved like a **** many times. But, I also think hes had a miserable 8 years since he left; sure hes made millions but he could never recapture that feeling hes had when he was back home. I saw delight in his face when he was interviewed today and it made me emotional and reminded me about the emotions we feel that dont make sense but are fucking real. I hope he does well and if he hits it, it could be one of those moments where everything clicks.
When SB was announced, I wanted to cry. I thought he is shit. Benitez drilled professionals and hes some fat agent Bruce **** who wrote appalling crime novels that suggest hes a fucking genuine moron. However, Benitez was undoubtedly cold and everything that's come since suggests very few players love him in the long term. They learn from him hut none of them seem to want to be like him. Bruce seems to be just what many of the poncy twats need right now and at least benitez seems to have coached enough common sense into most of them so who fucking knows, we actually have some talent in that squad.

Perfect storm,? Who fucking knows. Not sure what level of hypocrisy to go with. I hate capitalism, I love nufc, I want us to compete, I hate capitalism, and so the loop goes on... mike Ashley sees the populous and taps into their cultural identity in the most simplistic way but he knows that for many a geordie manager, a pair of geordie brothers with youth and actual talent, a geordie defender with grit and returning hero is enough to right the wrongs or change the point of view.
The difficulty for me is, what is the appropriate level of hypocrisy I should showing to make me socially acceptable and engage with the team I love without being a dick?

Last edited:
I'm going to hypocritically support this team more than the team we had for the last three years because hypocritically I think Bruce has more reason to be here than Benitez.

Keep on posting Carlos.

At the moment I'm just adjusting to the fact that the only word out of all of that drivel that needed to be excluded was ' C U N T ", quite possibly the most noble and spectacular word ever spoken. What a load of bollocks.

Cracking post Carlos. You always did bring a different angle to things.

On a sidenote, im pretty sure it was you and Rabit that debated the latest 'must listen to' music and in that case and if so, what's hot? :grinning:

Thanks, but I have no fucking idea what is hot buddy. Recently I've been listening to The Mouse and The Mask by Dangerdoom. I like Slow Thai's album, Nothing Great About Britain which is like a grittier more recent version of the Streets' Original Pirate Material, Psychodrama by Dave and I'm still loving the Kids See Ghosts album which would be my recommendation but possibly skip track one if you're not a hiphop fan. I like the new The National album and because of the anniversary of the moon landing I ended up listening to The Race for Space by Public Service Broadcasting which I love - it cuts together footage from Capcom with guitar and drums, really love it.

Thanks, but I have no fucking idea what is hot buddy. Recently I've been listening to The Mouse and The Mask by Dangerdoom. I like Slow Thai's album, Nothing Great About Britain which is like a grittier more recent version of the Streets' Original Pirate Material, Psychodrama by Dave and I'm still loving the Kids See Ghosts album which would be my recommendation but possibly skip track one if you're not a hiphop fan. I like the new The National album and because of the anniversary of the moon landing I ended up listening to The Race for Space by Public Service Broadcasting which I love - it cuts together footage from Capcom with guitar and drums, really love it.

Cheers Carlos. It's gone 1am, im tanked up and youtube is readily available with everyone in my house gone to bed. I'll have a gander at some of your picks.