Lets be grateful for what we have | Vital Football

Lets be grateful for what we have

Brexiteer

Vital Squad Member
rather than what we haven't

It would probably ruin this board but we have to face facts.
We are not going to attract a billionaire investor, we are a lower league club, Scally is doing his best and Lovell given the chance will hopefully grow into the role.
It would be nice to see some creativity in midfield, let's hope that we can attract some talent.

We are 7 places higher than we were when SL took over with the same players. I'm grateful. Success next season will depend on investment in improving the quality of the squad this summer. Big test for SL to lobby PDPS for exactly what cash he thinks he needs and to filling those gaps were we have been found wanting.

I walked out of the Rochdale away debacle thinking we were down already, it was so poor. If you said then that we would be safe with 53 points after our last away game I'd have taken it there and then.
We all agree we need more creativity in the team, how we get it will be of great interest in the summer.

I walked out of the Rochdale away debacle thinking we were down already, it was so poor. If you said then that we would be safe with 53 points after our last away game I'd have taken it there and then.
We all agree we need more creativity in the team, how we get it will be of great interest in the summer.
That's about how I felt Ian - well said

I`m pleased. Prior to Christmas didn`t think we had a cats in hell`s chance of staying up. Now eagerly planning my trip to Sunderland`s ground. Well done Gills, well done SL.

You,re right we won,t attract a billionaire or any investor with him in charge. Funny how Northampton ( albeit temporarily) and Peterborough have managed it though.
Proper businessmen (Darren McAnthony anyone) know how its done. The bespectacled one reached his limit long long ago
Well done SL anyway on a different note

Billy you wouldn't want the Peterborough Chairman trust me on that.
He picks the team and if you think Scally is a bit prickly this guy is barbed wire - be careful what you wish for comes to mind

"Fashionable Greater South East London professional football club seeks generous benefactor to take it to the next level. We won't ask too many questions of you, if you don't ask too many questions of us. Club colours negotiable. Ditto club location and name. The successful candidate will be forward-looking, fast-paced and have no prior convictions or outstanding ICC warrants. The position comes with a British passport (sorry, post-Brexit only), three National Insurance numbers, personalized car registration and immediate access to professional networks in the east London business world. Previous experience desired but not essential. Inquiries will be handled in confidence and interviews with discretion. Application fees competitive. Hurry."

Judging by the comments from some on here, there must be at least a dozen who think they could run the club better.

Jokerman's post hits the nail on the head. Scally has a lot of faults but there are a load of land mines out there to step on.

I am reasonably content and grateful to SL and the lads for dragging us out of the mire. The televised home game against Portsmouth was the nadir for me but also hearing the report of the Rochdale away game heightened my despair.

It is even more remarkable that we have climbed to safety with such a terrible home victory record.

I would not want Macanthony either. Far too hands on and publicity seeking. Will be interesting to see how much Posh get for Marriott and how the Sweaty Man spends it. Their new investors said that Posh are in the wrong division but they are not going anywhere fast. Having the division's clear top scorer didn't even earn them the play offs so they are perennial underachievers.

Of course, each season throws up some teams that defy their lack of resources (Shrewsbury, Scunny - us a couple of seasons ago) and others that waste larger resources (Northampton, MK, Bury - us last season with JET' s salary)

My own opinion is that our biggest fault was not balancing the midfield when Dack left. There was no way we could afford a like for like player so we should have looked for a couple of lesser players who could spot a forward pass and/or put in a decent cross, even if not as consistently as Bradley.

IF there were at least twelve other FL clubs within 25 - 30 miles of Gillingham, many of them with far better stadiums with cheaper ticket prices: Just asking, but, would you still be grateful for what we have ????????

Judging by the comments from some on here, there must be at least a dozen who think they could run the club better.
Without being specific regarding who could run the club better than the chairman/owner, don't forget he never had any 'football' experience before taking over the club. So, it's quite possible that some on here could do a better job.

"We are not going to attract a billionaire investor, we are a lower league club"

How come Ebbsfleet or Eastleigh, for example, can attract rich investors?

"It would be nice to see some creativity in midfield, let's hope that we can attract some talent."

Perhaps if he stopped banging on about a new stadium and invested in players instead of architects and planning consultants, he'd get more bums on seats and instead also of banging on about only being able to reach the PL by having a new ground.

Last edited:
You,re right we won,t attract a billionaire or any investor with him in charge. Funny how Northampton ( albeit temporarily) and Peterborough have managed it though.
Proper businessmen (Darren McAnthony anyone) know how its done. The bespectacled one reached his limit long long ago
Well done SL anyway on a different note
Northampton...who are getting relegated? Are you having a laugh?

Peterborough...their fans hate their chairman.

I think we all knew that Millwall and Charlton has cheaper season tickets than us.

How much do you think we should charge for our season tickets?
What do you think the increase in uptake would be?

What exactly does ‘Scally out’ mean? Do you want him to just up and leave or sell the club. If it’s the latter then you’re in luck as he’s already trying to sell the club. Embarrassing protests won’t help with that.

"I think we all knew that Millwall and Charlton has cheaper season tickets than us."

& how on earth is that acceptable?

"If it’s the latter then you’re in luck as he’s already trying to sell the club."

Needs to drop his valuation.

You missed out the two all-important questions about how you would price STs and the anticipated take up. Without offering an alternative you’re just blowing hot air.