Leicester City v Manchester City - Carabao Cup - Tues 18th December 2018 - KO- 7.45pm (UK Time) Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Leicester City v Manchester City - Carabao Cup - Tues 18th December 2018 - KO- 7.45pm (UK Time) Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Next up for Guardiola's squad in a busy schedule - a trip to the King Power stadium where they will face Leicester City in the quarter-final of the Carabao Cup. The teams met at the same stage of this competition last season with City progressing after winning the tie on penalties (3:4). This was after Mad Bobby Madley had added a generous 8 minutes of added time with City leading 1:2 at the 90 minute mark. This was of course sufficiently long enough to allow Jamie Vardy, penalty conjuror extraordinaire, to manufacture a reason for Madley to award a penalty and send the game into extra time. On seeing the board loaded with 8 minutes of added time Pep was apparently heard to say pointedly to the 4th official "Add more".

Leicester come into the tie in indifferent form having lost their last two fixtures and with their two wins in their last six coming courtesy of a penalty shootout against Southampton in the previous round of this competition and a stuttering and ten man Watford in the league.

The head to head between the two sides (last 6):-

City W3 D1 L2 GF13 GA10

Pep will be conscious of the looming Christmas schedule and is likely to make his team selection with this in mind. Last time out he gave starts to Diaz and Foden in midfield and Adarabioyo in defence with Dele-Bashiru and Nmecha going on as substitutes. He also deployed Zinchenko at left back to add to the youthful tinge of the starting XI. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same approach this time out despite the availability of the sublime De Bruyne :bow: and the incomparable Sergio Aguero :bow:. Both made the subs bench against Everton with KDB coming on for a short cameo and Sergio an unused sub. The latter may very well continue to be wrapped in cotton wool given the hectic Christmas schedule which includes the crucial match against Liverpool at the Etihad on 3rd January. Laporte took a couple of heavy clatters on Saturday so may be given a rest; Stones was an unused sub after a knock and may feature at some point and KDB may get some minutes although I am sure Pep will be mindful that he deployed Kev as a sub against Fulham in the last round in his first appearance after his knee ligament injury…..only to see him crocked again. Given that in the last 6 matches between these sides there have been 26 yellow cards and last season saw Foden clattered hard by Maguire causing him to miss several matches with ankle ligament damage I think Pep will be hoping he can avoid risking using the Belgian.

VAR will be in operation for this fixture.

Skoorb’s potential starting XI
Muric, Walker, Otamendi, Kompany (if Danilo is not passed fit), Zinchenko, Gundogan, Delph, Diaz, Foden, Silva B, Jesus

City injuries:-

Mendy - knee
Bravo - Achilles
Silva - Hamstring
Mangala - knee
Danilo - 'Knock' - perhaps facing a late fitness test

Leicester injuries: -

Amartey - Ankle/foot
James - Lacking match fitness
Chilwell - knee - perhaps facing a late fitness test

Officials:-

Referee - Lee Mason
Assistant Referees: Harry Lennard and Matthew Wilkes
Match Observer: Andy Hall
VAR: Graham Scott
Fourth Official: Stuart Attwell
AVAR: Derek Eaton

Prepared by Skoorb on behalf of Buzz who lost his internet. Let's hope Santa's Elves can restore connectivity in time for Christmas :santa:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh gawd.
We’ve had Oliver (blind Pugh), appalling Pawson and now Mason who’s too fat to keep up.

Lester are struggling at the moment, but they are more than capable of beating us. Focus and miracles from the physios are needed.

I'm the complete opposite JK, busy schedule coming up with tricky away ties over Christmas before Liverpool at home, we need our first teamers as fresh as possible.

I'd go fo something similar to Skoorb

Muric

Walker (if we've no youngster that can fill in, I'd like to see Garcia)
Kompany
Otter
Zinch

Gundogan
DeBruyne ( give him an hour)
Foden

Mahrez
Sane
Jesus

Ideally Walker doesn't play because I think he's running on empty.

I really hope we see that midfield trio that I've suggested, hopefully we're in a position where we can bring Bernabe on for DeBruyne on the hour mark.

Wrap the rest in cotton wool.

Totally forgot about Mahrez :slap:

First return to his old 'hunting ground'..... will probably start. Will he may welcomed back by his old fans .......or will he get the 'Sterling Treatment' :unsure:

I strongly suspect the latter.

It'll be interesting alright, I did notice a lot of Leicester fans wish him well when he left them but that was on social media, not always a good guage for how the match going fans feel.

I'm the complete opposite JK, busy schedule coming up with tricky away ties over Christmas before Liverpool at home, we need our first teamers as fresh as possible.

I'd go fo something similar to Skoorb

Muric

Walker (if we've no youngster that can fill in, I'd like to see Garcia)
Kompany
Otter
Zinch

Gundogan
DeBruyne ( give him an hour)
Foden

Mahrez
Sane
Jesus

Ideally Walker doesn't play because I think he's running on empty.

I really hope we see that midfield trio that I've suggested, hopefully we're in a position where we can bring Bernabe on for DeBruyne on the hour mark.

Wrap the rest in cotton wool.
This team looks pretty strong to me, but I would start stronger and pull three off after 65 mins, when the job is done. Red Kev, Ferna, and Kun to come off.

Walker has been inclined to a few moments of mistakes but with a bit of bad luck
Included. I would play him just to sort himself out.
Kun and Kev should get playing time before being substituted.
Foden should definitely be up for 90mins along with Zinchenko, Diaz and Kompany.

My fear is that he's nursing a knock Ozi, he's being beaten in foot races, very unlike him. I suspect the only reason he's being selected is because Danilo is injured, may well be wrong but it seems physical to me.

As per Skoorb's link, I'd prefer Jesus to start to keep his momentum going, the last time he's scored he was sat on the bench in the nexr one, don't think this helps.

My fear is that he's nursing a knock Ozi, he's being beaten in foot races, very unlike him. I suspect the only reason he's being selected is because Danilo is injured, may well be wrong but it seems physical to me.

As per Skoorb's link, I'd prefer Jesus to start to keep his momentum going, the last time he's scored he was sat on the bench in the nexr one, don't think this helps.
Fair enough Bluey, wasn’t aware of that re Walker.
We have had a bad run with injuries mate.

The margins are so thin at this level of sport that if you are carrying any kind of knock, you can get found out or just not "hit your straps"

Last edited:
Goalkeepers:

Ederson, Muric

Defenders:

Kyle Walker, Nicolás Otamendi, Philippe Sandler, Oleksandr Zinchenko, Vincent Kompany

Midfielders:

Fabian Delph, Ilkay Gundogan, Kevin De Bruyne, Felix Nmecha, Raheem Sterling, Riyad Mahrez, Phil Foden, Brahim Diaz

Forwards:

Sergio Aguero, Gabriel Jesus

Not spotted boarding the train (but may have travelled independently) -

Danilo, John Stones, Aymeric Laporte, Bernardo Silva, David Silva, Fernandinho, Leroy Sané