Legends | Vital Football

Legends

libertine

Vital Squad Member
Now that the Cowley era is behind us, which players from their time here would people class as Lincoln City 'legends'? I know everyone has a different opinion about what players need to do to qualify as a legend, but for me the National League squad was iconic. I'd personally class Rhead, Raggett, Arnold and Waterfall as legends even though they've been replaced by better players. Maybe Anderson too, due to his role in our two promotions.

I think there's a big difference between rocking up twice a season in the Lincoln Legends lounge and being a legend
So plenty welcome in the former but none for the latter

Well this topic is about as subjective as you can get. For me there has to be a combination of longevity/loyalty, ability, personality/character not in any particular order of importance or definable degree.
Off the top of my head, prior to my birth I think of Andy Graver and Tony Emery. In my lifetime Percy Freeman, Sam Ellis, Dave Smith, John Ward, Phil Neale, Gordon Hobson, Grant Brown.
There are players I loved to bits for various reasons like Trevor Peake, Gareth Ainsworth, Matt Rhead etc. but I personally wouldn't class as full on legends. Apologies to those players I have missed who I would class as legends if I gave the topic more thought rather than on the hoof (Grant Brown - sorry couldn't resist).

I think from the period, Rhead for me. Just because he was such an iconic player, had such memorable 'moments' (things like Gateshead away, Burnley, the head bandage, the overhead kick, even the backheel at the Emirates)! Legend/cult hero anyway.

Arnold had the 'moments' but his career here fizzled out a bit.

Anderson has a chance to be, still being so young and having had a hand in so much success. The others you mention, good players and Raggett scored that memorable winner, but they didn't feel like they were here long enough/just heroes from 16/17.

Anderson has a chance to be, still being so young and having had a hand in so much success. The others you mention, good players and Raggett scored that memorable winner, but they didn't feel like they were here long enough/just heroes from 16/17.

If Anderson had half the talent of Ainsworth he'd be a better player than he is. He does a job but is nowhere near becoming one of our best.

Legend seems to me to be more about having that connection with the fans rather than the quality of the player. That’s why Yeo always gets the kind of reception he does (airbrushed from history the times he left us) so on that basis Rheady is probably the one.
Having said that I think all the team from that season should be assured of a warm welcome at Sincil Bank once their playing career is over but that’s not the same as a fully fledged ‘legend ‘

Are we including managers in this because there can only be..................
no forget it, not opening that can of worms again.

Whatever happens or has happened Danny and Nicky will always be City Legends. I cannot believe any Imps could ever think otherwise. After the last 3 years some of the total guff written on here and elsewhere is nothing short of disgraceful and disrespectful. Those with anything but total respect and admiration for the Cowleys must be among the 2016 new or returning brigade who had no interest in the club during our 5 years in the abyss.
Nothing they allegedly did towards the end of their reign should ever be allowed to stain what they achieved.
Number 1 and 2 true Legends for me without a doubt.

Whatever happens or has happened Danny and Nicky will always be City Legends. I cannot believe any Imps could ever think otherwise. After the last 3 years some of the total guff written on here and elsewhere is nothing short of disgraceful and disrespectful. Those with anything but total respect and admiration for the Cowleys must be among the 2016 new or returning brigade who had no interest in the club during our 5 years in the abyss.
Nothing they allegedly did towards the end of their reign should ever be allowed to stain what they achieved.

Agree 100% john.

Well this topic is about as subjective as you can get. For me there has to be a combination of longevity/loyalty, ability, personality/character not in any particular order of importance or definable degree.
Off the top of my head, prior to my birth I think of Andy Graver and Tony Emery. In my lifetime Percy Freeman, Sam Ellis, Dave Smith, John Ward, Phil Neale, Gordon Hobson, Grant Brown.
There are players I loved to bits for various reasons like Trevor Peake, Gareth Ainsworth, Matt Rhead etc. but I personally wouldn't class as full on legends. Apologies to those players I have missed who I would class as legends if I gave the topic more thought rather than on the hoof (Grant Brown - sorry couldn't resist).

I dont think the dust has settled long enough to really think about calling any of the 'Cowley' players Legends apart from maybe Matt Rhead and he was not a Cowley signing. I was lucky enough to enjoy the Taylor era and agree with his players named above. Time allows you to reflect on their characters and contributions, especially as some are still with us and I think Bossie could be a candidate for legend status, his beard already is.
When it comes to ex Managers, Bill Anderson and his dog Sandy who it was rumoured picked the team, GT, Colin Murphy and of course the Cowleys ( given me the best time in my 60 year Imp supporting career , even though I am still getting over the way they left ! )

UTI.

Last edited:

spot on fella

Absolutely! Will always be grateful and so should all City fans. They pulled this club up by its boot straps and took us places we could only have dreamt of.

Spare a thought, Wrexham are on their 12th season in non league.

I feel like there's loads of heroes from the Cowley years (Farman, Power, Raggatt, Waterfall, Woodyard, Bruno, Akinde, Arnold, Anderson etc etc I've missed loads) but only one man who counts as a bona fide club legend, and that's Matthew Rhead.

And that's because "legend" is about far more than just their achievements as a player, but it's also about their entertainment value (don't tell me you didn't enjoy his duels with goalkeepers before free kicks), relationship with the fans, participation in certain big moments (Gateshead, Wembley, Burnley). Put up a damn statute of the man.

I feel like there's loads of heroes from the Cowley years (Farman, Power, Raggatt, Waterfall, Woodyard, Bruno, Akinde, Arnold, Anderson etc etc I've missed loads) but only one man who counts as a bona fide club legend, and that's Matthew Rhead.

And that's because "legend" is about far more than just their achievements as a player, but it's also about their entertainment value (don't tell me you didn't enjoy his duels with goalkeepers before free kicks), relationship with the fans, participation in certain big moments (Gateshead, Wembley, Burnley). Put up a damn statute of the man.

Big part of our success; bigger character.