Legal Advice | Vital Football

Legal Advice

david-avfc

Vital Football Hero
Hi, as I posted earlier and yesterday in another thread I have a situation with my letting agency (belvoir lettings)

Last night I left the house without my keys and got locked out because it's one of those doors that locks automatically on the latch

I found an emergency contact number on the letting agents website and rang it, the guy said he worked for belvoir. He said he will send his mate who is a locksmith out, I said I can't afford a locksmith and he said the letting agency will sort it for me. When the locksmith came I asked him if I had to pay or will the letting agency cover it and he said belvoir will cover it.

Today I got a phone call from the guy from the emergency number saying I was liable to pay and the cost was £80.

I went into the Belvoir office and they said they will not pay as they have no evidence the person on the phone said they will pay for it, they also said the number I rang was not an employee but a contractor so it's not their problem.

For this transaction I did not sign any documents or even give them my name or full address (I live in a house with 3 flats, I only gave my address to the house and not the specific flat and as far as I'm aware the locksmith did not take a note of the flat number).

However in my tenancy agreement it does say tenants must pay contractors.

So, am I liable for this bill or not as I was not aware that this was a contractor as the number is listed on their own website and he said he worked for them, I was under the pretence that I was not liable to pay at the time and no documents were signed by myself in regards to this transaction.

The letting agents said as it was a phone call there is no evidence so they are not liable, but then surely by the same logic I could say the same.. no price was quoted and there is no evidence of any transaction actually taking place apart from a couple of unrecorded phone calls.

So anyone who has any experience or understanding of how these things work please reply

Cheers,
Dave

PS I am planning on going to the citizens advice bureau on Monday - I just missed the opening hours

Edit:

So I've calmed down a bit now and can think a bit clearer. I don't think this is actually a problem between me and my lettings agency. I actually think this is just between me and the original guy I phoned up. As he said he would not charge me, and no price was agreed or signed for I believe he has made a mistake himself and I am not under any legal obligation to pay him (or the locksmith).

Unfortunately because the woman in the letting agency office was so rude (she actually told me I should have slept in the park and sorted it out the next day (I think when this whole thing blows over I'll be making an official complaint)), the situation wasn't really clarified, it could have been cleared up as to whether or not I actually "owe" them or the contractor or any one at all.

I am going to go to the citizens advice bureau on Monday to get their advice as I'm sure they will have a better understanding of these disputes than myself or anyone on here. As BodyButter said it's probably best to stay quiet which I will do until I get advice from the citizens advice, so I won't be contacting Belvoir or any of the contractors.

PS I am really pissed off about this so don't give me any comments about not forgetting my keys in the first place, already had that from the rude bitch in the office

BodyButter - 17/4/2015 17:18

I'm not a lawyer but I think you just have to eat this one.

I'm not expecting the letting agency to pay, but in regards to the contractor, am I actually legally obliged to pay him anything? No terms were agreed upon and there is no official evidence any transaction actually took place

david-avfc - 18/4/2015 02:28

BodyButter - 17/4/2015 17:18

I'm not a lawyer but I think you just have to eat this one.

I'm not expecting the letting agency to pay, but in regards to the contractor, am I actually legally obliged to pay him anything? No terms were agreed upon and there is no official evidence any transaction actually took place

You could try to stiff him on the payment but he'll probably just let himself in and take what he wants.

Why don't you tell the contractor to bill the guy that booked him?

not got time to read, dashing out. PM fieldy the link (Mike_Field) to pop in and look, he's pretty good at this stuff.

Housing charity "shelter" have a free advice line for tenant/landlord disputes. As you didn't book the contractor, or agree any terms, you probably have a valid argument.

Green Tea - 17/4/2015 17:36

Why don't you tell the contractor to bill the guy that booked him?

The guy who booked the locksmith (who said he worked for Belvoir) is the one asking for the money.

I think he's made a mistake and found out today the letting agents will not pay him so is now trying to pass the cost onto me. He doesn't have my name or full address and as no terms were agreed I don't know whether he has a legal right to demand payment from me or not.

As for the actual locksmith he didn't ask for payment at all, I assume if he gets paid (he mentioned the other guy was his mate and asked for a favour) he recovers the cost from the other guy

Please ask your question here and let us know what they have to say. Good luck.

http://www.justanswer.co.uk

SherlockGT - 17/4/2015 18:54

Please ask your question here and let us know what they have to say. Good luck.

http://www.justanswer.co.uk

Don't particularly want to pay for it. I'm going to the citizens advice bureau on Monday so I'll get some professional advice then and I'll post what they say