Leeds Utd Sportsmanship | Vital Football

Leeds Utd Sportsmanship

Nick Real Deal

Vital Football Legend
Remarkable scenes at Leeds today. Bielsa ordered his players to let Villa score unchallenged to make amends for his players poor sportsmanship which led to a goal for Leeds.

How many times do we players need to be told "play to the whistle" - at the end of the day, the player didn't have a head injury and it's the ref and only the ref that can decide if a game is stopped...

Personally, I would have taken the goal...all this kicking it out nonsense is just an excuse to cool the game down half the time.

How many times do we players need to be told "play to the whistle" - at the end of the day, the player didn't have a head injury and it's the ref and only the ref that can decide if a game is stopped...

Personally, I would have taken the goal...all this kicking it out nonsense is just an excuse to cool the game down half the time.

Perhaps true, but terrible sportsmanship. Villa had put the ball out for the Leeds injury at the other end and the favour should have been returned. "That is a shambles" were the first words uttered by the commentator and nobody wants to see a player pretending to put the ball out to open up space for a pass. That's not the spirit of football and never has been.

As for Bamford, I hope VAR eventually stops this nonsense. Getting a player sent off by holding your face when not touched is disgraceful and should be punished retrospectively with a ban. It was very embarrassing for the ref and linesman giving a red card after conferring. Who saw what, as video evidence showed nothing except for Bamford raising his arms.

What we're back to again is football having to go through the gutter to get back to being a sport again. Like you, I just want players to play to the whistle and carry on. Chuffed to bits Bielsa showed his players what class and integrity is all about and hope El Ghazzi gets that red card rescinded.

Bamford was a disgrace and deserves a ban for that. Bielsa ordered his players not to prevent the goal. The Villa manager said he suggested it to Bielsa and he discussed it with his coaches and agreed. Bielsa didn't instigate the thought process apparently. Whether it's right or wrong it's worthy of discussion and clarification of the spirit of the game.

I think the right decision was made by Bielsa although one of his players didn't agree.

Bamford was a disgrace and deserves a ban for that. Bielsa ordered his players not to prevent the goal. The Villa manager said he suggested it to Bielsa and he discussed it with his coaches and agreed. Bielsa didn't instigate the thought process apparently. Whether it's right or wrong it's worthy of discussion and clarification of the spirit of the game.

I think the right decision was made by Bielsa although one of his players didn't agree.

The piece that I still don't get is the referee. Jansson clearly caught the Villa player who went to ground very quickly and naturally after the contact. Whether he meant to or not, Jansson must have caught him on his way through which makes it a foul. Why did the ref simply not blow up? Did he think the Villa player was faking it? For me, what happened next was totally avoidable.

Perhaps true, but terrible sportsmanship. Villa had put the ball out for the Leeds injury at the other end and the favour should have been returned. "That is a shambles" were the first words uttered by the commentator and nobody wants to see a player pretending to put the ball out to open up space for a pass. That's not the spirit of football and never has been.

As for Bamford, I hope VAR eventually stops this nonsense. Getting a player sent off by holding your face when not touched is disgraceful and should be punished retrospectively with a ban. It was very embarrassing for the ref and linesman giving a red card after conferring. Who saw what, as video evidence showed nothing except for Bamford raising his arms.

What we're back to again is football having to go through the gutter to get back to being a sport again. Like you, I just want players to play to the whistle and carry on. Chuffed to bits Bielsa showed his players what class and integrity is all about and hope El Ghazzi gets that red card rescinded.

Following the rules of the game isn't terrible sportsmanship.

The sooner this putting the ball out because a player can act better than another one, the better.

It's competitive game, there is no need to allow this 'sportsmanship' to be used the way it now is - it's a sure thing to stop the impetus of the game and to disrupt.

Players and teams obviously need to learn the hard way; it's as bad as the con trick Bamford tried in my book.

Following the rules of the game isn't terrible sportsmanship.

The sooner this putting the ball out because a player can act better than another one, the better.

It's competitive game, there is no need to allow this 'sportsmanship' to be used the way it now is - it's a sure thing to stop the impetus of the game and to disrupt.

Players and teams obviously need to learn the hard way; it's as bad as the con trick Bamford tried in my book.

Must admit, the new rule to only stop the game for a head injury makes total sense to me. I still have no clue after a few seasons why all levels of football struggle to conform to it. Perhaps the physio should be allowed to come onto the pitch and treat the injured player like in rugby right up to the next stoppage. Let's face it if you're not good enough to play around a guy laying on the ground and the physio then perhaps you should not be playing football.

It's a difficult one. Sometimes the ref gets it wrong or misses something but the players don't. They know the player is in trouble irrespective of what side they are on.
It's a human instinct to have concern for another person who is injured. It all happens so fast and pressure is on results so decisions could become clouded.
I don't know the answer but for me Leeds came down on the side of sportsmanship.

Simulation is a problem I agree, what Bamford did should not go unpunished. The Villa player who went down and stayed down....was he in trouble ?

It's a difficult one. Sometimes the ref gets it wrong or misses something but the players don't. They know the player is in trouble irrespective of what side they are on.
It's a human instinct to have concern for another person who is injured. It all happens so fast and pressure is on results so decisions could become clouded.
I don't know the answer but for me Leeds came down on the side of sportsmanship.

Simulation is a problem I agree, what Bamford did should not go unpunished. The Villa player who went down and stayed down....was he in trouble ?

So the other problem is making sure you get the foul. Both sides knows its a foul, the referee knows it a foul but for some reason only known to the referee, the foul is not given. That drives a behaviour from the players to make sure they get the foul by simulation.

Root cause - the referees not using the rule book and just doing their own thing. One of the most pervasive reasons for problems in football today in my opinion.

I really don't think it's difficult. There are both linesman and a 4th official that have the ear of the ref; if they don't call it to the ref's attention, it probably doesn't warrant it.

How many times now do you see a team's players pointing to a player laying prostate on the ground to pressure their opponents into kicking the ball out - only for the prostate player to do an impression of lazarus and shortly thereafter to be sprinting to stick a tackle in.

This so-called sportsmanship is now out of control, sometimes this will happen 3 - 4 times a game and everytime, the player gets a magic spray/sponge limps to the line only to start waving at the ref to come back on.

It really is nothing more than a con now.

Let the ref referee the game and players play it and not try and do the refs job for him.

I really don't think it's difficult. There are both linesman and a 4th official that have the ear of the ref; if they don't call it to the ref's attention, it probably doesn't warrant it.

How many times now do you see a team's players pointing to a player laying prostate on the ground to pressure their opponents into kicking the ball out - only for the prostate player to do an impression of lazarus and shortly thereafter to be sprinting to stick a tackle in.

This so-called sportsmanship is now out of control, sometimes this will happen 3 - 4 times a game and everytime, the player gets a magic spray/sponge limps to the line only to start waving at the ref to come back on.

It really is nothing more than a con now.

Let the ref referee the game and players play it and not try and do the refs job for him.

Case in point 1, Ryan Fredericks in the latter part of the game on Saturday. Was holding his hand up as if he had a broken leg. Waving at the bench to get the physio on and I thought myself sitting 20 years away at the time it was a bad injury. Gets up and plays on.

Case in point 2, Leeds player gets sent off for nothing but only after referee and linesman have conferred and corroborated their stories. Will the FA rescind it or ask for an explanation from their officials? I doubt it.

I'm looking forward to this massive pain barrier the game has to go through as technology is introduced. Us TV watchers have had the benefit of it for years. Let's see the players and refs now adapt to more of a purer game as it's start to drive some of the rubbish out of the game.

Just to close this one out......good news for football.

El Ghazi has had his red card rescinded.

Bamford ended up with a 2 match ban for "successful deception of a match official"

The linesman or referee that were high as a kite and were seeing things that actually didn't happen. I have no news on that :-)

Just to close this one out......good news for football.

El Ghazi has had his red card rescinded.

Bamford ended up with a 2 match ban for "successful deception of a match official"

The linesman or referee that were high as a kite and were seeing things that actually didn't happen. I have no news on that :-)

Excellent.