League One Match Thread (19/04/24 - 20/04/24) | Page 5 | Vital Football

League One Match Thread (19/04/24 - 20/04/24)

Strangely I found that more intense than Tuesday night. I can only put that down to handing fate back into our own hands if Stevenage held on for the draw.

Must win tomorrow, and IF we do I think on balance I would go for a draw in the Blackpool v Barnsley game. That would effectively take Blackpool out of the equation on goal difference and leave us needing to match the Oxford result for the final game.

Anyway, let's just get the win and take it from there. UTI

If Blackpool and us win tomorrow think it will be 2 from 4 on the last day
Yep, Barnsley will definitely be in the mix then, and they are on dreadful form.

MApp sympathising with Oxford and seemingly a bit upset that Stevenage didn't just roll over for them. Sums up a lot of his time with us tbh. No way to break down these side.

Stevenage have taken 6 points from the last 6 games and only lost twice in that time, so perhaps a draw isn't that far fetched.
Their poor run has been going on for a long time, I'm sure FB was planning his exit long ago: P17 W3 D7 L7 F13 A18 Pts16

On that basis, we should be very grateful for the point they gained tonight. Oxford had 25 shots to 2 from Stevenage - excellent.

All this talk about Piergianni reminds me of when I played (many times) against his dad in the Peterborough Sunday Combination League back in the late 70s/early 80s. Now dad, Franco, was a striker and knew exactly where the goal was making him somewhat prolific in that department!

At least that is Stevevansage officially out of contention. A bit of a cock up - they were 14 points clear of us at the start of February with two games in hand.

All this talk about Piergianni reminds me of when I played (many times) against his dad in the Peterborough Sunday Combination League back in the late 70s/early 80s. Now dad, Franco, was a striker and knew exactly where the goal was making him somewhat prolific in that department!
Why does Peterborough have such a relatively large Italian community?

Last edited:
Daren't look at the score until full time because I always jinx it. Good result and back in our hands now.

Hope we get the win tomorrow but wouldn't it be great next Saturday if Pompey threw the towel in, just like Posh did for Oxford last Saturday, for the only game they didn't win in the last five.

Football is still an unpredictable game, when Oxford started the run of home games, if you'd have said they will finish 6-0, 1-1 & 0-1 you would have struggled to match the scores with the fixtures!