The Carabao Cup Thread | Page 55 | Vital Football

The Carabao Cup Thread

Dean didn’t take winning seriously enough and if he did you have to question his ability to assess the team he puts out. Ancelotti played his first choice forward line and we played... well you’ve all been highlighting their inadequacies. A quarter final opportunity thrown away by lack of foresight. Smith is to blame more than the players who can only play up to their limitations.
Klopp rested his team. Doubt their fans are calling for his head. The players are 100% to blame, making a very lucrative career out of giving 50% effort in the odd cup competition is not acceptable. We shouldn't need Grealish and co to bail El Ghazi out of trouble against Stoke at home.

When I saw the starting line up I thought we would be in for a tough night. I understand the need to rest a few players, but all 11 of them! Yes the same line up beat Bristol City comfortably but they had also made 8 changes to their usual team, so would have made life easier for us.
Not happy we didnt take the cup more seriously, but as we wont be able to go to Wembley anyway, we have saved ourselves some disappointment there.
Lets hope the first team turn up on Sunday.

Klopp rested his team. Doubt their fans are calling for his head. The players are 100% to blame, making a very lucrative career out of giving 50% effort in the odd cup competition is not acceptable. We shouldn't need Grealish and co to bail El Ghazi out of trouble against Stoke at home.

Klopp did start with Van Dijk and Salah as well though. Personally think we should have made more of an effort to win this and played at least 3 or 4 of the first team.
I'd agree its a huge over reaction to be calling for his head after this though

Liverpool fans wouldn't care cos they haven't gone 24 years without a trophy

I make no bones about it, many on here will know, Dean Smith has to take Some responsibility for last night’s debacle, but we can’t keep on blaming individuals whilst Smith & Terry get away scott free, That team came out and even before a ball had been kicked they thought they’d won, that’s down to the manager.

half-time arrives, wow he’s gonna go fooking mad at them, but no, I can imagine his half time talk went like ‘it’s a bit cold out there init, I’m making a brew
White 2 sugars JT’ because fuck all changed when they came out 2nd half, I expected movement & pace! but no, just another 45 mins of walking and pissing about.

I just don’t rate him. sorry.

Klopp didn’t rest Salah or Van Dyke. What are you talking about?

I’m not calling for his head, that would be absurd at this stage. I’m questioning whether he’s positive enough to match the owners ambition. That was small time club thinking and lacking in ambition. Everton played Calvin-Lewin, Rodriquez and Richarlison and Calvin-Lewis gets another 3. Happy days!
We play Traore with a bunch of pedestrians and already people are saying he’s no good. We throw on Watkins in a desperate attempt to regenerate the team which by comparison has no chance of helping his confidence.
Smith didn’t take it seriously enough and I question his intelligence at this level, that’s all. He’s the manager, he should have done things differently, that’s obvious for all to see.

One thing that was glaringly obvious to me last night that I don't think has been mentioned here yet is Guilbert is not a very good defender and I can fully understand why Cash was brought in.

Guilbert let so many crosses in last night and was getting made to look very amateur against Powell. I didn't rate him too highly last season but others did and I think that elevated my opinion of him until last night. He isn't good enough.

One thing that was glaringly obvious to me last night that I don't think has been mentioned here yet is Guilbert is not a very good defender and I can fully understand why Cash was brought in.

Guilbert let so many crosses in last night and was getting made to look very amateur against Powell. I didn't rate him too highly last season but others did and I think that elevated my opinion of him until last night. He isn't good enough.

I like the guy and his commitment but that can't hide his lack of quality and inability to defend which of course is crucial for a full-back.

Does anyone think the team we put out was even Championship playoff quality? I don't. Our second string is weak, it was a poor display but the result wasn't too much of a surprise to me.

I just don't like the fact our second string is weaker than Stokes second string who are probably on 10% than our are on, and would probably have the hunger and desire to push their performance to the next level at having a shot at playing in the Premiership, Our second string can't be arsed, we should of been pressuring them like we did in the last 5 minutes from half time.

We looked very vulnerable to crosses as we did all last season. We need a strong centre half in who can command aerially because as good as the present incumbents have started we need back up and have yet to tested by better teams.
As for the midfield last night, shocking. A young kid learning his way, Nakamba one of the most clueless players I’ve seen in a Villa shirt and Lansbury, an eternal might-have-been.
if I was Jack I’d be sitting there today and thinking what’s the point. Gifted by the draw a clear run to the quarter final of one of the three competitions we’re in and thrown away by team selection, appalling.

I’m not calling for his head, that would be absurd at this stage. I’m questioning whether he’s positive enough to match the owners ambition. That was small time club thinking and lacking in ambition. Everton played Calvin-Lewin, Rodriquez and Richarlison and Calvin-Lewis gets another 3. Happy days!
We play Traore with a bunch of pedestrians and already people are saying he’s no good. We throw on Watkins in a desperate attempt to regenerate the team which by comparison has no chance of helping his confidence.
Smith didn’t take it seriously enough and I question his intelligence at this level, that’s all. He’s the manager, he should have done things differently, that’s obvious for all to see.
I’m not calling for his head just yet, but what does he bring, if he can’t get the guys playing for that shirt. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Honestly why were you shocked we were poor against Burton with a much stronger team.We have to face it this competition is now a complete farce with the way it's drawn and virtually every team from every league plays a weakened team it's probably a dressing room joke these days as to who will make the Carabo squad.If management and most grounded fans don't take it seriously why should the players especially the ones knowing they are only playing because the manager thinks they're shite why would you expect Traore and especially Ramsey to risk injury by putting it all in when they possibly will be involved against the champions of England on Sunday.Yes it highlights the limited resources we have in reserve but were Aston Villa not Man City or Chelsea who have been stock piling players for years there are very few teams in the premiere league that have the luxury of a strong second team look at Wolves against us last year absolutely shite and this season shite again against Stoke.Really don't get why people get so involved with this competition it's not the league cup anymore which we always seemed to win every other year them days were brilliant in them days you had to earn the right to be in the final these days it only gets serious in the semi's which basically turns it into a mini tournament it's not for me anymore last time I went to one of these games was Colchester away and that was only because a load of us went down for an overnight piss up.By the way McP these comments are not all aimed at you it's just my general feelings of the whole situation.
It’s a shame but it’s true the league cup is a joke in the early rounds and I reckon you are right it must be demoralising for the players to be picked in these games when the manager makes 11 changes making it clear they are not rated as a first team option by the manager.

Maybe the issue is the frequency of games, at least usually the rounds are more spread out so there will be different players who may have slipped out of the first team in that time, but 2 games in consecutive weeks it really makes it stark who is first choice and who isn’t.

As I said in a previous post, the competition needs a serious revamp. The early rounds are a joke and as you say only becomes exciting in the semi finals, but then quickly becomes a procession for the top teams once they decide to play their full teams leaving no hope for any one else.

Glad I didn't pay a tenner to watch! A joke if you ask me on top of all the other subscriptions you need!

It’s a shame but it’s true the league cup is a joke in the early rounds and I reckon you are right it must be demoralising for the players to be picked in these games when the manager makes 11 changes making it clear they are not rated as a first team option by the manager.

Maybe the issue is the frequency of games, at least usually the rounds are more spread out so there will be different players who may have slipped out of the first team in that time, but 2 games in consecutive weeks it really makes it stark who is first choice and who isn’t.

As I said in a previous post, the competition needs a serious revamp. The early rounds are a joke and as you say only becomes exciting in the semi finals, but then quickly becomes a procession for the top teams once they decide to play their full teams leaving no hope for any one else.

Maybe they should have some rule whereby, if a player hasn't been in the squad/had pitch time, whatever, by a certain round of the competition, they become not eligible to play.

I always remember it being treated more seriously when I was a kid. The only thing I've ever seen us win and I wouldn't mind seeing us do it again!

Perhaps teams didn't have the squad sizes that we have today.

Also doesn't help calling it the Twix Cup or whatever it is these days.