League 1 v this. | Vital Football

League 1 v this.

hindleymonwafc

Vital Champions League
It's a funny un and I don't know the answer but I'll just throw it out there to see...last season was great, winning a lot , fantastic away days , town buzzing with Tics on a high against this....and I'm not sure what this is yet. Hoofball, obviously better opposition who can rip you a new one anytime....life is about enjoyment or should be. Point im trying to make is I really hope we survive but if we don't there's plenty of reasons to be cheerful in the league below.

Which do I prefer ?.. I prefer winning to feeling a sense of doom ...so whatever league that is don't matter , just win and I'm happy.

It's a funny un and I don't know the answer but I'll just throw it out there to see...last season was great, winning a lot , fantastic away days , town buzzing with Tics on a high against this....and I'm not sure what this is yet. Hoofball, obviously better opposition who can rip you a new one anytime....life is about enjoyment or should be. Point im trying to make is I really hope we survive but if we don't there's plenty of reasons to be cheerful in the league below.

Which do I prefer ?.. I prefer winning to feeling a sense of doom ...so whatever league that is don't matter , just win and I'm happy.
One day we'll go back down to League One (or god forbid even lower) and we won't be winning a lot, the away days won't be fantastic and we'll be reminiscing about the "good old days" when we used to attract 9-10k home fans on a matchday when we're getting outplayed on a Tuesday night against Forest Green.

We're in the second tier of English football with four of our fellow Lancashire brethren and an array of grand old clubs whom once upon a time we'd never imagine playing in a league fixture. Most importantly, we are one dream season away from potentially securing the club's financial and long term future forever and being back in the biggest sports league on the planet. That's what keeps me going no matter how remote the possibility of it happening is. Huddersfield did it, Barnsley and Luton made the playoffs. It can be done!

Only on this forum could we have people on here declaring a 0-1 win against Birmingham City as one of the best days since the FA Cup final and then two weeks later have someone pining for a return to the third tier! It's either one extreme or the other. :ROFLMAO:

League 1 v this is all about if's, but's & maybe's....whose to say we don't turn a corner this season / next season & go on a great winning run which brings us a glimpse at the premier league. Yes u can say that's fantasy but who'd have thot when we had Jewel in charge all those years ago that it was about to become reality eh 🤔
As u alluded to would you rather be winning than scared of a spanking then most wud prob prefer the winning but after winning comes the dreams of something better which is what I'd stick with....win games, gain promotion , progress up the leagues n if the we get 'ripped a new un' then so be it. Oh the joys for another European tour wud be a truly good un & something to dream about rather than dreaming about a rain sodden night away at Oldham or Rochdale 😉

I bet you're a bundle of laughs on a night out. :downer: Get a grip man.

Bloody hell. Weve only lost one game! You could say whats the point in any of it? Championship promoted sides will only get twatted in Premier league (See Bournemouth and Forest this week). I know. Lets go down and just stay mid table in League One. Be a right good crack!

So which do you prefer ?.. I've already said as long as we are winning im not that bothered but would prefer the higher division. Feckin hell its not rocket science but I forgot the average IQ of a handful on here is about the same as their shoe size.

No good on the Chase some of you bozos ( not you jock BTW).

Enjoying seeing us win is the main point here really. There were many matches last season particularly at home where our football was something to be desired. Boring, turgid stuff where we relied on goals from corners and via free kicks. However we left New Springy with a smile because we were getting three points.

You get it jeff...im not saying i want us in league 1 but if the choice was the enjoyment of last season against not winning and playing a standard of hoofball that turns my stomach its a no brainer.

I want a smile on my face

All fans want a team winning and being successful at the highest level possible.

Winning every week in L1 is miles more fun than losing in the Championship but there's never any guarantee it would always go that way.

So as much as we all loved winning L1 3 out of the last 4 times and hated getting relegated from the Championship 3 of the last 4 times - I'd always pick taking the chance on trying to succeed in the higher league. As if you can do that it's so much better and the financial implications are life changing for the club's long term sustainability.

Last edited:
I agree with this I have preferred league one recent times we have been in it but the problem is if you start being a yo-yo club like we have In recent times. Eventually that will stop and if it stops with us being league one. Then soon league one will stop being as fun. I remember when we came down from prem many of us me included was not to bothered because we thought we would get to see us win more games, visit a few grounds we had not been to and then get back to prem in a season or two and first season was fun in championship we got in playoffs had a great cup run and would of proably won league had we not had coyle as manager first few months. But then ever since then it as been hard slog mostly and not as fun, due to us mostly struggling, which this season will probably be the same. But for me personally I would like us stay up and establish ourselves as a mid table side then It just takes a bit of luck and a good run and you are in playoffs. An if we could win that then even if it is only for one season the championship will be alot more fun than it is now

At the risk of being labelled "easily pleased" I derive enjoyment from watching the team regardless of the results. To see the team I have supported from being a young lad playing in the Championship again is still beyond the wildest dreams I had in those days when we were playing non league football.

For sure I would love to see us winning game after game and playing a sparkling brand of football, but I am practical enough to lower my expectations and accept that that is something we will have to wait for given our current resources.

I was ecstatic last season as game after game we piled the points on and looked more and more likely to top the pile at the end of the season. Given that we were only just out of administration my expectations were for a consolidation season and mid table mediocrity. It was simply magic to watch us lift that trophy and wildly exceed my expectations.

Switch to this season and once again my expectations are lower than some on this board and therefore to me the start to this season has been enjoyable with one win, one loss and four draws. True the football has been lacklustre and as some say turgid, but it has been effective and we have already taken a couple of scalps with draws against Norwich and WBA, who look likely to be in the mix for promotion.

To sum it up, enjoyment is all about expectations, and if your expectations are set at a lower height then your enjoyment of the games will be higher than if you are expecting the team to win every time they lace up their boots. I loved last season and would not be suicidal if we were to return to L1, however I would be more than happy with winning a relegation battle and staying up this season.

I have said it on another thread that people need to lower their sights and not expect the team to be something that it is not, at present, and then perhaps they will enjoy the season.

Enjoy what you have for life is short, and you are a long time dead.
My first match was at springy, Boston United, thought it was magic, no way for me to get to see Everton those days, no car, no phone, to much work to face in a new house.
When you depart this world no football at all.

Did not expect much this season
Happy to see my team in the second division, which was beyond my wildest dreams in non-league days (been watching since 1967)

Just hope we can hang in there, very happy with the results so far.
Of course I would love us to have signed some new players last week.
Some of the comments on here about the lack of signings, come across as though it was their money the club was not spending.