Latics v U's | Vital Football

Latics v U's

jocklatic

Vital 1st Team Regular
Well only a few days to go till the game & no one has started a match thread so thot I'd start one...
Could be a bit of a banana skin this one as Cambridge are in reasonable form with 4 wins from 6 & currently sitting 6th in the league...
Hoping for a nice convincing win especially after the dodgy red card loss to Barnsley n the after effects it caused us at Blackpool with us being unable to play CH.....

I’ll be interested to see if Rekik and Sessegnon come into the squad. I think it will
look much stronger with them in there, they both offer something different to what we have as they will carry the ball forwards. Jonny Smith did well at Blackpool when he came on and played well for the u21s yesterday, I reckon he’ll soon be pushing for a start ahead of McManaman.

I’m hoping we get back to winning ways, we’ll need to find a way to break down the opposition if we end up with lots of possession again. We’ll also need to stop the opposition having as many attempts on our goal if we’re to go on a decent run.

After listening to the Cambridge fan on the podcast I suspect they will play like Barnsley and Blackpool and let us have the ball and try to hit us on the counter.

Apparently they play 4-5-1 and are happy to sit back. Sounds like they've stretched their budget in January and over the summer by offering decent wages to free transfers with League 1/Championship experience and have an older squad (sounds familiar).

Just hope we can break them down. Score early and I think we'll win but if we don't we'll have to be very patient.

I’ll be interested to see if Rekik and Sessegnon come into the squad. I think it will
look much stronger with them in there, they both offer something different to what we have as they will carry the ball forwards. Jonny Smith did well at Blackpool when he came on and played well for the u21s yesterday, I reckon he’ll soon be pushing for a start ahead of McManaman.

I’m hoping we get back to winning ways, we’ll need to find a way to break down the opposition if we end up with lots of possession again. We’ll also need to stop the opposition having as many attempts on our goal if we’re to go on a decent run.

Don't forget we also have the other new signing from deadline day, Godo, to give us pace and power on the flanks. From all the reports I have read he has electric pace and a decent cross.

I think/hope Rekik & Sessegnon will start, maybe Jonny Smith too, Macca on the bench, Charlie Hughes obviously back too

Cambridge will have watched us this season and very likely try to replicate what Wrexham, Barnsley and Blackpool did that caused us to struggle. So i'm expecting them to sit back, stay compact, allow us to have the ball in non dangerous areas then look to break from deep fast and in numbers.

Maloney said that we've been working on how we can break down the opposition when they do that. So i can imagine that will be put to the test. It's definitely something that we have to learn to deal with as it's likely going to be what we face nearly every week going forward.

Having Hughes back is going to be a big help, as offensively the accuracy of his cross-field long balls to the wingers are a massive weapon.

It wouldn't shock me if we went with 3 at the back and had Rekik and Hughes on the right and left and used them as very attack minded overlapping centre backs to try and help us create overloads to break through the Cambridge lines.

Cambridge have had a good start to the season so they'll not be push overs, but this is a game we should be to win in our own right, especially after back to back loses.

If he’s does switch to a back 3 I think we’d be looking at something like below as the starting 11. It could easily switch to a back 4 during the game and see Rekik step into midfield as well.

Tickle

Hughes
Morrison
Rekik

Clare
Adeeko
Smith
Pearce

Lang

Humphrys
Wyke

peeple all saying be careful. there on the up cos theyve had a good start to the season.
well so did we. look what hapened.
3 - 0 as we show our intention for the rest of the seeson.

Aasgaard is fit again according to Maloney.

Maloney also talked about Jordan Jones in his press conference so it does seem like as horrendous as his cameo against Barnsley was Maloney has faith he'll come good.

Sessegnon hasn't had a preseason so he's not ready yet but other than him and Kerr everyone is fit.

So we are in the fortunate position to have so much to choose from we'll have to leave good players off the bench.

Attacking midfield competition is fierce now with Lang, Humps, McManaman, Aasgaard, Smith, Godo and Jones.

I'm not usually positive. But we've had two long weeks of recovery, training and to stew on those two losses, one of which still feels unjust. Thelo back fit, a couple of the young lads full of confidence after their international duty, Hughes will be like a caged tiger waiting to be let loose.

Score early and I reckon we'll smash these by three or more.

Maloney also talked about Jordan Jones in his press conference so it does seem like as horrendous as his cameo against Barnsley was Maloney has faith he'll come good.

Sessegnon hasn't had a preseason so he's not ready yet but other than him and Kerr everyone is fit.

So we are in the fortunate position to have so much to choose from we'll have to leave good players off the bench.

Attacking midfield competition is fierce now with Lang, Humps, McManaman, Aasgaard, Smith, Godo and Jones.

Liam Shaw also ready to join the fray according to Maloney.

Liam Shaw also ready to join the fray according to Maloney.

We don't really have any idea what he is like but hopefully he'll be the tough tackling def mid we've been missing. That's not saying anything bad about Adeeko and Smith, but that isn't their game and we have missed a Naylor type in the squad.

It is very early days and we've not seen all of the new signings in action so we can't do a definitive comparison yet but considering the wage bill for the L1 title winning squads Caldwell, Cook and Richardson had was about double the budget of Maloney's - I don't think we look significantly weaker.

Obviously the others had more experienced and established players as you'd expect for the wages that were being paid, but i think on what we've seen on the pitch so far we have the potential to match them. Time will tell and undoubtedly some of our young players are still learning, so they will have times when that lack of experience shows but I'm optimistic.

Last edited:

The fact that Jones made it through the summer transfer window still with us showed me that Maloney had plans to integrate him into the first team at least through the first half of this season.

I think it was Humphrys who said in the most recent "Teammates" video that Jones fancies himself the best player in the squad, so hopefully that indicates he still has a fair amount of ability despite how little we've seen of him since he first signed.

The fact that Jones made it through the summer transfer window still with us showed me that Maloney had plans to integrate him into the first team at least through the first half of this season.

I think it was Humphrys who said in the most recent "Teammates" video that Jones fancies himself the best player in the squad, so hopefully that indicates he still has a fair amount of ability despite how little we've seen of him since he first signed.

To be honest i do wonder if that was more because no one else wanted Jones, but whatever the case he's still a Wigan player and there's absolutely no doubt that earlier in his career he looked a very good player so hopefully Maloney can get that out of him.

But he we have so many options on the wings now he may struggle to even get on the bench let alone get on the pitch or get a run of games to find his feet. Same for a number of our wingers - if you have a bad game you may fall way down the pecking order and not get another look in for weeks.