last night at Welling... my views | Vital Football

last night at Welling... my views

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
Well we won, just but I was interested in seeing who exactly we put on the pitch and how close there might be to the first team.

I have to admit I left disappointed as I honestly can see why SL says they aren't ready as a group to step up yet. I'm also not sure is that was Welling's first team so it's very hard to judge. I think the problem is they are all young together, if some of them where put into a team with experienced professionals they would probably look a lot better as they may have better options when they have the ball.

A bit season I think for the second year pro's based on last night as they need to get better to break into the 18. One thing I did notice second half was the midfield and shape, which to be fair first half was good disappeared much like the first team when we came under pressure from Welling.

Individual ratings..

Hadler - very good, one exceptional save as Welling piled on the pressure. No problems with him being back up based on that.

Chapman - playing right back which I have been told is now his position, got caught upfield once of twice but other than that control good, tackling good and his positional play seems to be better than the others. Would like to see him play in midfield where I think hes better

Blackman - trialist at left back. Big strong, looks ok first half but second half the Welling number 11 reminded everyone why he's not playing league football. Has all the attributes to be good but at 27 his time might have passed. If he was 20 I'd have another look.

Tucker and O'Mara - Both did ok second half under pressure as the Gills midfield disappeared or dropped too deep (where have we seen that before). O'Mara did seem to get beaten too much in the air first half for my liking. Tucker got better as the game went on. Both aren't ready to play in the league,

Oldaker - decent first half playing deep coning to get the ball. No defensive splitting passes but also no glaring errors. We playing 442 so had Simpson/Blackman and Stevenson on the wings to hit his passes too. 2nd half, tired didn't really notice him to be honest.

Nasseri - Run with the ball, could of passed a little bit more when in decent positions agian like Oldaker thought he went missing when Welling piled on the pressure towards the end.

Stevenson - spent the first 20 minutes being told by Lillis where to stand and when to tuck in when we didn't have the ball. Good on the ball and looked to get forward. Would be better in first team situations as the forward should offer more options. Again like the whole midfield struggled more second half.

Simpson - Didns t really notice him too much first half as he was the other side of the pitch. One thing he does do well though is stay wide and offers balance with his left foot. One good run to set up M'Bo. One of the few to not tire in the second half though and him and Blackman had the tricky Wellling no11 to deal with.

M'Bo - I am still waiting for him to stamp his size on a game, although Welling did have a big strong team. Good goal, held the ball up well firsthalf and again faded second half and got less service as a result of us playing not so well.

List - Strange to watch him play with the youngsters, albeit he is a youngster still. His pass destroyed Welling first half, and scored. he looked better straight up top, for the goal he turned his marker and straight away he's one on one with the keeper. That's where is needs to play not out wide. He's better when he didn't have to think about crossing.

Overall a decent win I suppose against a National South team doing well this year. We still look physically small though even though most of our kids are now 20!!!! it's a big, big jump up to first team football and I don't think they are ready,

Hadler aside, I think the others needs decent loan stills in this league or above to progress quick enough. Not many stay beyond 21 if they haven't broken through by then. It's a huge year for us and them and a few need to step up a couple of levels.

I have stopped short of who I think will break through as players can look far better, or worse in a first team environment so its difficult to judge but sadly no one put their hand up and said I'm better than who you are playing at the moment SL. Lets all hope I have got it wrong.

Anybody else go and see that view or just me being pessimistic???

Nice insight cookie. Thanks.
A lot of folk were confused by SLs recent comments on Lists 'running' but I'm pretty sure he meant that the lad forgot to, or just did not bother to chase back /close down when he didn't have the ball on Saturday. Any evidence he did that last night?

He looked alright last night, worked hard, looked much better being right up top as it take away his options in front of him so the decision is just to run towards the goal and that's where he is at his best.

He came off after an hour but tracked back when required. I think the forward role suits him better than the wide role as he's not great at his defensive duties, sadly much like the rest of last nights midfield their positioning when we don't have the ball is questionable.

Thanks for that cookie. A nicely written report. Have a gold star ?

Odd question,anyone know if List is right or left "handed"? Matt Jarvis was right handed but preferred playing on the left as I recall. And in his early days he was frequently criticised for not doing his defensive duties.

Also, does anyone know if we've got a midfield coach?

Thanks for that cookie. A nicely written report. Have a gold star ?

Odd question,anyone know if List is right or left "handed"? Matt Jarvis was right handed but preferred playing on the left as I recall. And in his early days he was frequently criticised for not doing his defensive duties.

Also, does anyone know if we've got a midfield coach?

Jarvis was also right footed which is perhaps more relevant

Thanks Cookiejar, interesting report. We`ve still a way to go, but equally, there`s bound to be some in last night`s team that will go on to shine.

Your point about not having experienced pros around them is a good one and i`m sure that some of our youngsters would not disappoint if given an extended run in the first team.

Not sure the ages of some of the team last night but if you look back over the years, our better players that have come through our youth system and made it ateague one level have been regulars in the first team by the time they're 20. Hopefully there are some that were in the team last night that can make the breakthrough but for any that are getting to 20 or are over and still haven't broken into the first team history says their chances are receding.

Stevenson is 20 this month. Most of the other youngsters are 19 and will turn 20 by the end of the season. I think Tucker is 18, nearly 19.

I agree, the longer it takes to get them to breakthrough then the less chance they have. Jarvis, Dack, Nosworthy and even Bruce some time ago broke through very early.

Even the players who have not gone on as well, and Jack Payne springs to mind here did so at a much younger age. Spiller I think was an exception although had to break into a far, far superior team to do so.

I feel the level of opposition they played last night is where most, if not all will end up playing the majority of their football, again with the odd exception

Think even Hess junior was 19 when he broke into the first team.

Not sure the current systems of youth/academy football helps players develope, the old system of playing reserve football against experienced pros recovering from injury or first team players that couldn't get game time was far more beneficial for younger players in readying them for the jump between youth football and 'mens' football.

Despite the game being more technical and a bigger focus on being about what players can do with the ball, the physical aspect is still relevant in helping a player developer to cope with league football, ultimately I'd imagine what all the youth players aspire to.

Last edited:
I have said this for years. The under 21 league or under 23 league means they are constantly playing the same boys they have been playing since they were in the academy. they don't get to experience playing against hardened league players who cant get in, or experienced players with a bit of know all on the pitch. It massively slows their development down hence why all these kids have to go on loan to get experience, even the premier big boys send their promising ones out more than ever before because they don't play their squad players in under 23 games enough.

Judging by what you saw and the Portsmouth game, it seems some of the youngsters are still a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to playing at a higher level. Positional play, man marking and the final pass all need a bit of work still but if they keep getting a chance them a few will break into first team reckoning. For some it will happen in the next EFL cup game.

Thanks for the report.

I think you being sightly pessimistic. That was a very good win against a strong Welling team.

I would not expect us to be able to dominate for 90 minutes against a conf south team for 90 minutes with such a young side. Hopefully this kind of challenge will aid their development.

As you said it is a different prospect to trying to make an impact off the bench surrounded by senior pros.

We clearly have a strong group of young players. Hopefully 1 will develop rapidly and make us some money, and then hopefully another 1-2 prove to be able to contribute for us long term at this level.

I find it interesting that Stevenson and Chapman have both been asked to play in new roles. Perhaps a change in plan for them, but equally a good opportunity to develop other sides to their games.

List is 21 is has only really started to contribute to the first team in the last handful of games. He has physically and mentally improved since Lovell took over, which shows the development young players can make in a short period of time.

We released Mahlon Romeo aged 19 after his first year as a pro. He was light weight and his defending was erratic. At 22 he is now playing in the championship.

Different players develop at different rates. Jarvis was in our first team 12 months after being released by Millwall, for not being good enough to get a youth team scholarship for!

I would also point out that Hanlan and RCC both look like decent signings, despite not making it at Charlton aged 21.

Ages

Hadler 22
Chapman 19
Tucker 18
O'Mara 19
Oldaker 19
Nasseri 22
Stevenson 20 (today)
Simpson 19
M'Bo 19
List 21