Keith Peacock & Cascarino | Vital Football

Keith Peacock & Cascarino

I still remember Cas turning up looking very much a non league player.I think what Keith achieved with Cas was remarkable.I am totally convinced that without Keith's input Cas would have remained a non league player.I shows what can be achieved with a talented coach, good recruitment and a bit of patience.
This I believe was Keith's first season
With many of his own signings it still took till October to get the initial team into any sort of gear the first few months of results weren't good at all .There are lessons there for all those jumping on Clemence's back at every opportunity.

Last edited:
Yes all 3 were, but I think a lot of fans forget about Gavin when we talk about legends, he was different class and not surprised at all he went on to play in the top flight
Absolutely. I was only young but I really hated it when Gavin left for Bournemouth. We played them away in the cup a couple of years later, I went with my dad and I remember he scored and we lost the game. Anyone else remember it? I thought it was a bicycle overhead kick he scored, could be wrong!

Absolutely. I was only young but I really hated it when Gavin left for Bournemouth. We played them away in the cup a couple of years later, I went with my dad and I remember he scored and we lost the game. Anyone else remember it? I thought it was a bicycle overhead kick he scored, could be wrong!
Just seen the game on Gills Scrapbook. He didn't score but we did lose 2-1. I remember he did do an overhead shot though!

Was at that Bournemouth match.

Clearly remember Crown scoring (iirc we'd just signed him, shortly after our London Fanzine had slagged him off as a Southend player, lol). Gave us a few minutes of hope and an element of excitement.

Gavin was brilliant for us. The season we went down I always hoped he'd hog posession as passing to anyone else was a waste of time.

Yes all 3 were, but I think a lot of fans forget about Gavin when we talk about legends, he was different class and not surprised at all he went on to play in the top flight
Being born in 1984, I obviously have no recollection of Gavin playing for us, but I remember him as a very good player at Newcastle and Chelsea, as well as being flabbergasted when my dad told me he played for Gills, I just couldn’t comprehend a player that good played for us (this was probably in about 1993 when I would have been comparing him to players like Liburd Henry and Robbie Reinelt).

Being born in 1984, I obviously have no recollection of Gavin playing for us, but I remember him as a very good player at Newcastle and Chelsea, as well as being flabbergasted when my dad told me he played for Gills, I just couldn’t comprehend a player that good played for us (this was probably in about 1993 when I would have been comparing him to players like Liburd Henry and Robbie Reinelt).
If I recall correctly he initially came on loan. Sir Keith was looking for a dynamic midfield player and looked no further than across the kitchen table. Played one full season, head and shoulders above everyone else in a team that got relegated.

Happy to be corrected, I’m used to it in our house.

Alongside Hess and Paul Smith, I'd say Gavin Peacock is the best midfielder I've seen in 40 years of following the Gills. Absolute class as a player, and as a person by all accounts, like his dad. He rose very fast after leaving us, and rightly so.

If I recall correctly he initially came on loan. Sir Keith was looking for a dynamic midfield player and looked no further than across the kitchen table. Played one full season, head and shoulders above everyone else in a team that got relegated.

Happy to be corrected, I’m used to it in our house.
Yes he came initially on loan before signing for a £40k fee . Was actually at the club over 2 seasons, from 1987-1989, below from Wikipedia:-

“he moved to Third Division Gillingham in October 1987 in a move which was started by his father, Keith, Gillingham's manager. Peacock joined on loan initially, but signed permanently for £40,000 in December 1987.[3]Shortly after joining, his father was sacked by the club but Gavin remained on as a player until after their relegation to the Fourth Division in 1989. He was named as the Kent side's Young Player of the Year award in his first season and then in the relegation season of 1988–89 his displays saw him recognised by the supporters who voted him as Player of the Year.”

He’s one of the first players I remember watching for Gills in what must have been the relegation season, but I recall my dad always spoke highly of him. Remember being confused by Gavin Peacock and Pat Gavin playing in the same team!