Josh Rees signs | Vital Football

Josh Rees signs

Well worth a punt. Has had a good football education. Midfield goals are always welcome.

20 goals in 53 games in all competitions, Lovell describes him as "quick, confident in possession" and looks to get forward. That'll do me, welcome to the club Josh.

Byrne needs to get his finger out if he is to compete for a midfield place or is this signing a sign that he won't be returning? If he does return we won't be short of midfielders.

Sounds like a good signing but a step up so a bit of a punt but given his stats a punt worth taking .Welcome Josh .We we have to wait and see how Lovell's midfield fits together but it is certainly looks more of a attacking threat .

Just watched a video of all his goals from last season - not a single one any further out than 8 yards which I thought was quite an impressive feat for a 16 goal midfielder. Most scruffy goals but at least shows he has a knack of being in the right place.

Byrne needs to get his finger out if he is to compete for a midfield place or is this signing a sign that he won't be returning? If he does return we won't be short of midfielders.
Byrne scored two cracking goals last season and was probably the most improved player overall; if he stays, he'll have competition. If he goes, good luck to him.

We released 3 midfielders (Martin, Waggy and Hess) and have signed 3. We've lost some experience, but I'm not sure Byrne will have to battle for his place any harder than he did last year - IF he signs (looking increasingly unlikely).

Still want to see another striker - ideally someone rapid. Hang on a minute, a certain 100m Olympian is available. That would boost attendances!
:yes:

Another player has re-signed, announcement due imminently. Jesus, if this is Byrne then we’re swimming in midfielders, but with such better attacking looks.

...oh, it’s Hadler. Not bad news though.

But does anyone know enough about these new midfielders of ours to begin plotting midfield options?

Herr, I watched the goals on a subscription site called Wyscout. Costs £4.49 a month but you can find loads of video clips on almost any player in the world. Already watch plenty of videos on Charles-Cook and Parrett. Charles-Cook has looked the most impressive so far and is very much in the same mound as Sean Clare. Parrett is similar to Lee Martin but struggled for a comparison for Rees - perhaps similar to Chris Whelpdale in terms of playing style.

Maybe Bingham (if fit) in the holding role - or Byrne/Reilly depending on signings. Dean Parrett in the middle, the Charlton guy out wide. At this stage I see Josh Rees as a squad strengthener. But at this stage it's all guesswork.

I remember when Whelpdale and Charlie Lee came in on loan, they were a revelation. Always thought Whelpdale was classy.

We released 3 midfielders (Martin, Waggy and Hess) and have signed 3. We've lost some experience, but I'm not sure Byrne will have to battle for his place any harder than he did last year - IF he signs (looking increasingly unlikely).

Still want to see another striker - ideally someone rapid. Hang on a minute, a certain 100m Olympian is available. That would boost attendances!
:yes:
On the radio last night they were saying that RCC will be a bench warmer as he is not fully developed yet.

Pleasing that SL has opted to dip into the National League. Welcome Josh, hope you have a great season at the Gills.
Pleasing or indicative of the budget that we've had to recruit from non league?
Good luck to the lad anyway, let's hope he can make the step up.