Josh Andrews | Vital Football

Josh Andrews

vinney

Vital Reserves Team
I was quite impressed when he came on. For a starters ,the defender that had been trying to pull Olly Hawkins shirt off all game ,had no such joy with Andrews. The first time he tried it on with Josh he got a smack in the head, and I noticed he never tried it again. The ref had been so weak all game,that he never even spoke to Josh. He ( Andrews) is a totally different proposition from Hawkins, and it appears he's more suited to L2.
He's a proper centre forward who is not going to be bullied by aggressive defenders. Unfortunately,he's probably not going to be able to start games for a couple of weeks,so it's possibly a bit late to make much difference this season, but I think he could be the answer to lead the line next season

I was quite impressed when he came on. For a starters ,the defender that had been trying to pull Olly Hawkins shirt off all game ,had no such joy with Andrews. The first time he tried it on with Josh he got a smack in the head, and I noticed he never tried it again. The ref had been so weak all game,that he never even spoke to Josh. He ( Andrews) is a totally different proposition from Hawkins, and it appears he's more suited to L2.
He's a proper centre forward who is not going to be bullied by aggressive defenders. Unfortunately,he's probably not going to be able to start games for a couple of weeks,so it's possibly a bit late to make much difference this season, but I think he could be the answer to lead the line next season
Agreed watching him on I follow he looks a bit of a handful for defenders .It will probably take him too long too get going as you say for this season.But at least he is a starting block to build a forward line around.

Encouraging and I did like what I saw when he played against us for Accrington.

Only note of caution for me would be that for physical players like Andrews and Hawkins they can look particularly impressive when coming on fresh against tired opponents - in today’s case defenders that had exhausted much energy on manhandling Hawkins all game.

I don't want to get carried away but suffice to say, I agree with all.

He also looks a threat to run in behind. Away at Morecambe, he was standing off the shoulder of the defenders. Hawkins just doesn't do that.
The reason we play against such high lines of late is that there is no threat to go in behind or move off the ball.

He can be the spearhead we need next season.

But he is going to need some dynamic wide players beside him.

Encouraging and I did like what I saw when he played against us for Accrington.

Only note of caution for me would be that for physical players like Andrews and Hawkins they can look particularly impressive when coming on fresh against tired opponents - in today’s case defenders that had exhausted much energy on manhandling Hawkins all game.
The thing that pleased me most was his urgency to actually get involved in the game, He is a big old unit, sorry - young, and as others have said, looks to be a a bit of handful for defenders to keep quiet. Ok, his appearance yesterday was a bit of a cameo but I liked what I saw and if he stays fit (and depending on how SC wants to play him, with or without Hawkins up front) he looks to be a really good find.

Can we agree that we definitely have a framework to build on next season?
Yes we probably do have a few names that we need to move on but they are names and as we found with Bonne there's normally takers for named players who have achieved during their careers. Yes there maybe a cost in some cases. But I would guess not a massive one.

Yes we probably do have a few names that we need to move on but they are names and as we found with Bonne there's normally takers for named players who have achieved during their careers. Yes there maybe a cost in some cases. But I would guess not a massive one.
Oh, definitely. We have really been building a sturdy framework since the Galinsons arrived.

In years gone by, I recall times when we have looked really unbalanced, playing square pegs in round holes, but I wouldn't say that now. The defence has been pretty good even before Ogie arrived. We have given a few cheap goals away recently but generally we have some solid performers who work well together and two keepers that are more than good enough for League Two.

The fact that we are still struggling to score goals since SC has had us playing out from the back and passing more suggests that "Hoofball" from the back was never the problem in that regard, even though Max particularly took some stick about it, IMO unfairly considering the likes of Ashby and Butters did it in our glory years.

IMHO it is pretty clear where money needs to be spent on the team and we have the option of sending our attacking loan signings - Mahoney, Walker and Hurtado - back if Clem wants different players in those positions (did he pick the latter two?).

Midfield is maybe the only problem area regarding cost, if Dieng and Jonny Williams have another year on their contracts and SC wants to look elsewhere. If Dom Jefferies wants to go, it will leave another space where SC can choose a replacement.

In summary, if we did not even have a framework, would we still be 7th? And what does that say about, for instance, Walsall shipping 5 yesterday? or Notts County sinking down the table?

I do wonder if some of our underperforming names might raise their games if we were able to recruit a forward line to be feared?

There will surely be "comings and goings" during the summer transfer period and, to be honest, I have no idea who will, or will not be wearing a Gills shirt next season. I doubt whether Mahoney will (want to) remain here after his loan period ends but then again, I don't really see him playing regularly, if at all for Huddersfield. Dom Jefferies, Ashley Nadesan and Scott Malone may all seek a wage packet elsewhere however, I hope they don't. I will not be too sad if Josh Walker stays a Burton player and Jayden Clarke is told his future lays elsewhere and I won't be dismayed with his departure as I would be if Shaun Williams gets the same message, which seems likely. If that does turn out to be the case then I really hope the club will at least organise a grand farewell for someone who did a massive job for us at Priestfield.

If that all what I have put down in words actually comes about, and it is highly unlikely I know, then we would need 7 new players to come in. Some of the free spots could be taken by some of the younger lads however, no matter which division we are it, we will still some experienced heads with some physical grit joining before the new season starts.

Thankfully, speculation is gratis but none of us will know how large (or small) the budget will be in June/July, On the whole, I think that SC has done well with the players he added to the squad and that fills me with some optimism.

Last edited:
Oh, definitely. We have really been building a sturdy framework since the Galinsons arrived.

In years gone by, I recall times when we have looked really unbalanced, playing square pegs in round holes, but I wouldn't say that now. The defence has been pretty good even before Ogie arrived. We have given a few cheap goals away recently but generally we have some solid performers who work well together and two keepers that are more than good enough for League Two.

The fact that we are still struggling to score goals since SC has had us playing out from the back and passing more suggests that "Hoofball" from the back was never the problem in that regard, even though Max particularly took some stick about it, IMO unfairly considering the likes of Ashby and Butters did it in our glory years.

IMHO it is pretty clear where money needs to be spent on the team and we have the option of sending our attacking loan signings - Mahoney, Walker and Hurtado - back if Clem wants different players in those positions (did he pick the latter two?).

Midfield is maybe the only problem area regarding cost, if Dieng and Jonny Williams have another year on their contracts and SC wants to look elsewhere. If Dom Jefferies wants to go, it will leave another space where SC can choose a replacement.

In summary, if we did not even have a framework, would we still be 7th? And what does that say about, for instance, Walsall shipping 5 yesterday? or Notts County sinking down the table?
For me Mahoney and Walker are likely departures regardless of availability. Mahoney does offer something but Hutton can do the majority of what he offers going forward .Yes we would need to replacement for sure but one with greater mobility and pace as well as hopefully more goals. Mahoney is definitely a luxury player who has produced on occasions.

There will surely be "comings and goings" during the summer transfer period and, to be honest, I have no idea who will, or will not be wearing a Gills shirt next season. I doubt whether Mahoney will (want to) remain here after his loan period ends but then again, I don't really see him playing regularly, if at all for Huddersfield. Dom Jefferies, Ashley Nadesan and Scott Malone may all seek a wage packet elsewhere however, I hope they don't. I will not be too sad if Josh Walker stays a Burton player and Jayden Clarke is told his future lays elsewhere, well, I wouldn't be dismayed with their departure as I would be if Shaun Williams gets the same message. If that does turn out to be the case then I really hope the clubwill organise a grand farewell for someone who did a massive job for us at Priestfield.

If that all what I have actually comes about, and it is highly unlikely I know, then we would need 7 new players to come in. Some of the free spots could be taken by some of the younger lads however, no matter which division we are it, we will still some experienced heads with some physical grit joining before the new season starts.

Thankfully, speculation is gratis but none of us will know how large (or small) the budget will be in June/July, On the whole, I think that SC has done well with the players he added to the squad and that fills me with some optimism.
Mahoney will go league one i think.

Time for another clear out - 6 or 7 need to go.

Whether contract expired / sold on etc.

So many players hav not delivered the goods.

Both Williams, Nadesan, Lapslie, Malone, J Clarke, Dieng.

For me Mahoney and Walker are likely departures regardless of availability. Mahoney does offer something but Hutton can do the majority of what he offers going forward .Yes we would need to replacement for sure but one with greater mobility and pace as well as hopefully more goals. Mahoney is definitely a luxury player who has produced on occasions.
Yes, I have to admit that, knowing his reputation, Hutton has surprised me by showing that he does have the discipline to play in a flat back four when necessary but his main strengths are clearly going forward, either as a wing back or a wide midfield player in a 4-4-2.

If Mahoney goes back, we should perhaps be looking for someone to do the same on the left side instead, as Malone's form seems to have faded.

I’m pretty sure that we will try to sign Mahoney but I think he’ll be too expensive for us.
Walker can go back to Burton and probably loaned elsewhere.

Yes, I have to admit that, knowing his reputation, Hutton has surprised me by showing that he does have the discipline to play in a flat back four when necessary but his main strengths are clearly going forward, either as a wing back or a wide midfield player in a 4-4-2.

If Mahoney goes back, we should perhaps be looking for someone to do the same on the left side instead, as Malone's form seems to have faded.
In my estimation, Hutton has been a bloody revelation and his gameplay has clearly benefitted the teams attacking options. He does not, as yet, have the same responsibilities as Manhoney (i.e. he doesn't roam all over the field) but Mahoney expected departure could open more doors for him. He has already shown that he is more than handy with both feet, has a good motor and appears to enjoy attacking any and all defenders. An added bonus is the fact that he DOES actually defend when needed and not shy away as some of the detractors on here have suggested. I've said it before and I remain rock solid in my view that he has been the signing of the season. Max Clark has blossomed since he started getting game time however he is seriously left foot only - which is not a criticism because what he does, he does well, but a second Hutton type player - as GBN has has already said - in front would be scary (for opponents) and bliss for us......

Last edited:
I don't want to get carried away but suffice to say, I agree with all.

He also looks a threat to run in behind. Away at Morecambe, he was standing off the shoulder of the defenders. Hawkins just doesn't do that.
The reason we play against such high lines of late is that there is no threat to go in behind or move off the ball.

He can be the spearhead we need next season.

But he is going to need some dynamic wide players beside him.

FWIW, I'm not Clem's burner account.

But this is music to my ears. When I try to be objective about what I see us lacking, it's very reassuring to me he sees the same. Give the guy time...

Clemence said: “I want to play the right way, I am not a tippy-tappy coach, I want us to play forward.

“I want us to make sure we have penetration in behind and that is what Josh Andrews gives you, he is a big lad, a handful but he can run in behind and then when you have someone like Dom Jefferies he can nick balls and he can run in behind.

“You have to disrupt back lines, you have to attack the back of the back line, not just play in front of them, that will be the aim and we will try and create a team like that going forward.

“A lot of the boys will be here next year and I have seen a lot of good stuff but they need some help and that will be the aim over the summer.”

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway...c-midfielder-is-just-the-man-for-clem-305515/

FWIW, I'm not Clem's burner account.

But this is music to my ears. When I try to be objective about what I see us lacking, it's very reassuring to me he sees the same. Give the guy time...

Clemence said: “I want to play the right way, I am not a tippy-tappy coach, I want us to play forward.

“I want us to make sure we have penetration in behind and that is what Josh Andrews gives you, he is a big lad, a handful but he can run in behind and then when you have someone like Dom Jefferies he can nick balls and he can run in behind.

“You have to disrupt back lines, you have to attack the back of the back line, not just play in front of them, that will be the aim and we will try and create a team like that going forward.

“A lot of the boys will be here next year and I have seen a lot of good stuff but they need some help and that will be the aim over the summer.”

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway...c-midfielder-is-just-the-man-for-clem-305515/
Reading that gives me the warm fuzzies.
I'm starting to look forward to next season already

Dom Jeffries has been big loss to injury as much as Hurtado and Andrews have been. He is the only player who offers some drive forward from midfield. Maybe with those 3 players fit things may have turned out a little different for Clemence.

Dom Jeffries has been big loss to injury as much as Hurtado and Andrews have been. He is the only player who offers some drive forward from midfield. Maybe with those 3 players fit things may have turned out a little different for Clemence.
Shame he’s probably off to higher football

J. Williams has worked his socks off doing that. Possibly the reason why the opposition target him so much.