Jose Mourinho July Manager of The Month Vote Here | Page 3 | Vital Football

Jose Mourinho July Manager of The Month Vote Here

It’s now time for Jose to show up and do the business of winning us the league and a few cups. Buy some players if necessary but we have waited too long as fans. We have the Stadium, the training grounds and a decent team but we need to move on, SERIOUSLY. We’ve had time to get most back to fitness, now we need results.
Understand the frustration but to say buy some players if necessary is the understatement of the season....and we all know that being able to buy the quality of player that we need to win the league now is not an option...we are once again at the start of building for the future and that is going to be impacted by both the lack of money and the one or two top class players leaving at the end of next season if not earlier.

The focus of Levy over his entire time in charge has been on building infrastructure and not building winning teams and now the irony of the world class stadium, perhaps appropriately empty of fans, with a second rate football team on the pitch is stark....so once again we have to reset our expectations which seem to get lower every season.

Understand the frustration but to say buy some players if necessary is the understatement of the season....and we all know that being able to buy the quality of player that we need to win the league now is not an option...we are once again at the start of building for the future and that is going to be impacted by both the lack of money and the one or two top class players leaving at the end of next season if not earlier.

The focus of Levy over his entire time in charge has been on building infrastructure and not building winning teams and now the irony of the world class stadium, perhaps appropriately empty of fans, with a second rate football team on the pitch is stark....so once again we have to reset our expectations which seem to get lower every season.
Agree totally Harry. With such improvements as our transfer funds permit (this morning I read an article in which it was indicated that Hojbjerg, Aarons and Callum Wilson are the most likely targets relative to our likely spending) we could challenge for top four again. As you rightly say, the quality of players necessary to make us genuine PL contenders are beyond our reach, and probably wouldn't want to join us in any case. As for the Cups, Jose likes to win things, but he'll need to bring about a massive mentality change in order for us to beat any of City, Liverpool, United, Chelsea or Arsenal in a Cup Final. I do think however that under him, and with the strengthening mentioned, we represent a good bet for the Europa League next season.

With Europa games on Thursday nights and PL the following Sunday. I would be asking Levy what he wants to prioritize because the same team cant compete in both . Unless the right signings come in that is. If Levy does not back Jose up this window it's one or the other IMO.

So on rating Jose for next season so far we have Team Selection, Tactics, Subs and Press Conference. That's 4 elements and seems to cover a fair spectrum. I will start rating him next season after each game. If anyone thinks another element is needed, please put it forward.

With Europa games on Thursday nights and PL the following Sunday. I would be asking Levy what he wants to prioritize because the same team cant compete in both . Unless the right signings come in that is. If Levy does not back Jose up this window it's one or the other IMO.

If Levy won't back him then I hope Jose walks.

If we was after marquee signings i'd have my doubts but we're looking at strengthening the squad's depth which i'd imagine shouldn't be too difficult.

Jose reportedly wants three signings to strengthen the overall squad, a right back, a 'versatile' mid fielder. and a back up/alternate striker. The three names mentioned in one article of Aarons, Hjobjerg and Callum Wilson would I believe make a huge improvement to our squad depth.

Jose reportedly wants three signings to strengthen the overall squad, a right back, a 'versatile' mid fielder. and a back up/alternate striker. The three names mentioned in one article of Aarons, Hjobjerg and Callum Wilson would I believe make a huge improvement to our squad depth.
Depending on who actually leaves.

So on rating Jose for next season so far we have Team Selection, Tactics, Subs and Press Conference. That's 4 elements and seems to cover a fair spectrum. I will start rating him next season after each game. If anyone thinks another element is needed, please put it forward.
Possibly I'd add entertainment level as a fifth Nick. I'm probably in a minority, but the enjoyment and entertainment value I get from watching Spurs is as important as the result. That's probably because over many years Spurs have been a Club who have predominately entertained, which was certainly the case with all the best teams we have had. Last season Jose would have probably averaged around three on entertainment, if we start to see an upward curve here, it will be a sure sign that Spurs are moving in the right direction.

Here's a different question. Would Levy actually know if his manager was picking an eleven and prioritising one competition over another? Has he even got enough football smarts to figure out the trends in a load of team selections over a season?

If I were Jose, I'd already know what Levy wants. He wants CL revenues and high Prem finishes as that is where the money is. Of course he also wants cups as a secondary benefit. Levy will never say it out loud publicly or write it in a comm so I wouldn't give him the ammunition to fire me down the line.

I would just make the right calls at the right time for my players and fans.

Here's a different question. Would Levy actually know if his manager was picking an eleven and prioritising one competition over another? Has he even got enough football smarts to figure out the trends in a load of team selections over a season?

If I were Jose, I'd already know what Levy wants. He wants CL revenues and high Prem finishes as that is where the money is. Of course he also wants cups as a secondary benefit. Levy will never say it out loud publicly or write it in a comm so I wouldn't give him the ammunition to fire me down the line.

I would just make the right calls at the right time for my players and fans.

Levy and the board set general targets - or how else do you judge a manager?- this is obviously discussed at length with the manager; who in turn will have an opinion on what's possible and what isn't given the current squad - he will report where he sees the weaknesses (as per the performance analysts briefings as well).

Levy and the board set general targets - or how else do you judge a manager?- this is obviously discussed at length with the manager; who in turn will have an opinion on what's possible and what isn't given the current squad - he will report where he sees the weaknesses (as per the performance analysts briefings as well).

Given his CV, I think it is obvious to all what Levy and the board are expecting, otherwise they would have hired a different manager.

Personally I saw the hiring of Jose as an indicator that Levy was 'going for it' and was moving towards wanting to win things additionally now that we at least had the stadium as a back up if we dropped out of the CL rather than purely an "achieve top 4" mantra. Obviously covid and the removal of the stadium revenues will have significantly impacted that which begs the question, if Levy had of known that Covid was around the corner, would he still have gone for a Jose style of manager?

Jose is (was?) renowned for being very proactive with substitutes. But he was one of only four managers who never used all five subs during a game since they were allowed after the restart.

At the top end, Graham Potter of Brighton used all five in eight out of the nine games.

Personally I saw the hiring of Jose as an indicator that Levy was 'going for it' and was moving towards wanting to win things additionally now that we at least had the stadium as a back up if we dropped out of the CL rather than purely an "achieve top 4" mantra. Obviously covid and the removal of the stadium revenues will have significantly impacted that which begs the question, if Levy had of known that Covid was around the corner, would he still have gone for a Jose style of manager?

Levy was 'going for it' the record spend last season was the start of the final overall strategy, not the end of it.

Jose was the winner he craved, and Jose was promised all the funds from any sales, plus significant bordering on reckless in some eyes funds again this summer.

Then Covid hit and everyone has had to re-evaluate; the transfer dept essential ripped up the targets for this summer, and Jose and they have had to start again. I know this to be absolutely true.

Jose has a choice now - accept the new financial reality or indeed decide he can't cope with the new financial restrictions and walk.

We are going to undershoot the stadium-related and commercial revenues (i.e. all the events planned and in the pipeline for this year which hasn't happened) by around £155 million - that's not far over what I was led to believe would be made available for transfers - accurate or not, all I can tell you is there is a whole bunch of agents that are utterly gutted at the prospect of whole chains of deals that now won't happen.

I would be surprised to see Jose walk away due to a Covid affected transfer budget. He is on big wedge. Levy and Jose are going to have to be creative in the market with sales and purchases. We are used to that method anyway. I would rather constraint especially when looking back at our previous rash spending on failures.