John Akinde | Page 2 | Vital Football

John Akinde

2 up front can work as evidenced by our win at FGR in March when it was done as a bit of a surprise. But as we are currently 2nd in League 1 playing with 1 out and out striker I'm inclined to think that our management team know what they are doing in this regard

So, playing two up front then.... which of O'Connor, Morrell or Payne are you dropping?
Exactly. The problem with 2 up top these days is that you’re often overran by a 5 man midfield from the other team. Hence, losing possession, creating fewer chances, and having 2 isolated players up front not getting the ball. Weigh this up with having more possession from your own 5 man midfield, creating more chances, but not always making the most of them as you’re relying on your midfield making it up top to support your lone front man.

I would like big John to be more confident. I love that he is not a selfish striker and doesn't try to take every opportunity for himself even if they are one in a million,

But there was a chance in the MK game where he was close to goal and just had to try a shot with his left foot. No one would have begrudged him missing it, but instead he passed it and the defence have more chance to get into position. I really hope if he gets a goal from open play it increases his confidence and he starts smashing them in.

Loads of good things about his play. He just needs some goals. Hopefully we get to play both Bury and Bolton and he starts up front (no chance!)

I would like big John to be more confident. I love that he is not a selfish striker and doesn't try to take every opportunity for himself even if they are one in a million,

But there was a chance in the MK game where he was close to goal and just had to try a shot with his left foot. No one would have begrudged him missing it, but instead he passed it and the defence have more chance to get into position. I really hope if he gets a goal from open play it increases his confidence and he starts smashing them in.

Loads of good things about his play. He just needs some goals. Hopefully we get to play both Bury and Bolton and he starts up front (no chance!)

Perhaps the problem there is that a vocal minority on social media have affected his confidence. I may be wrong but if it has those that are responsible should consider that when they take to the key board they are directly affecting DC's little percentage gains.

)

The one which he squared to Bruno?

If so I think he chose the right option.. 9/10 Bruno’s first touch would have been right and would have resulted in a effort on target/goal.

Perhaps the problem there is that a vocal minority on social media have affected his confidence. I may be wrong but if it has those that are responsible should consider that when they take to the key board they are directly affecting DC's little percentage gains.

It's true, when we miss a good chance or lose the ball, my immediate reaction is to let out a little groan. Unfortunately that's the same as the other 9,000 (or 1000) people present. I know it doesn't help and so I try and stop it before it happens, or follow up immediately with some support.

But I'm never going to slate a player on social media, Danny's choice and he's got us this far. Big JA was instrumental in our promotion last year, even if it wasn't in the way people wanted (penalties Vs open play). How people think it is going to help the situation is completely beyond me

If so I think he chose the right option.. 9/10 Bruno’s first touch would have been right and would have resulted in a effort on target/goal.

The ball from JA was played just behind Bruno and he didn’t have time to adjust...
For what it’s worth I thought JA played really well when he came on...

Akinde was signed essentially to get us out of League Two. He did that at the first attempt, his nine league penalties earning us eight points we may not have had without him scoring them. For instance, we would have taken one point against Bury instead of four, which would have given Bury the title instead of us. Apparently small margins, but hugely significant. Having a deadly penalty-taker probably got us promotion last season, and he was worth the transfer fee for that.

If Bruno hits that first time - 9 out of 10 times it's in the back of the net. Why he took a touch is beyond me - unless I remember it wrong... Akinde played a perfectly weighted pass accross the pentaly spot and Bruno fluffed his touch?

It's fine margins and maybe Bruno thought he had time/space but to me it seemed easier to shoot as the ball did'nt warrant a touch to control it.

That being said I am no professional footballer and worship Bruno - so he probably (defo) knows better than I?!!

If Bruno hits that first time - 9 out of 10 times it's in the back of the net. Why he took a touch is beyond me - unless I remember it wrong... Akinde played a perfectly weighted pass accross the pentaly spot and Bruno fluffed his touch?

It's fine margins and maybe Bruno thought he had time/space but to me it seemed easier to shoot as the ball did'nt warrant a touch to control it.

That being said I am no professional footballer and worship Bruno - so he probably (defo) knows better than I?!!

I was perfectly in line. It was the correct ball from JA and unfortunately, Bruno messed it up.. It looked like Bruno waited for it to come on his stronger foot, although I always thought he was pretty much two footed.

The ball from JA was played just behind Bruno and he didn’t have time to adjust...
For what it’s worth I thought JA played really well when he came on...

I agree, although the difference in *style* of movement off the ball between him and Walker was noticable. We stopped being able to thread the ball into feet into the space between the back 4 and midfield where Walker was regularly receiving it and playing from there. Given how compressed MK were it wasn't a bad shout to put JA on since it meant we could move Grant into the middle and play with 2 attacking midfielders, 1 of whom was presumably going to occupy the space Walker was using before Andrade came on and they moved Grant infield.

Going back to the Southend game, he held the ball well when he came on keeping 2 or 3 defenders busy at a time. For the last goal he started the run with purpose from inside our half, playing a quick one two with Payne, before setting Bruno up.

Didn't quite go for us at MK, but no complaints here.

Probably isn’t a club in the land playing with a conventional 2 up front. It’s probably how you support the one that makes the difference I think

In the Prem, Burnley tend to play a 4-4-2 with Barnes and Wood up top, while Watford often have two up front but there are not many more. And from memory, only one team in the Champ last weekend played a 4-4-2 formation. 4-2-3-1 definitely seems to be the most popular system nowadays.