Johan Lange Thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

Johan Lange Thread

Courtinho ooo aren't we clever getting him. Wow pinching Digne off a struggling Everton, Chambers on a free bargain. Ings who saw that coming. Our recruitment is more about a bargain or clever move and not about a cohesive plan to build a functional squad

Courtinho ooo aren't we clever getting him. Wow pinching Digne off a struggling Everton, Chambers on a free bargain. Ings who saw that coming. Our recruitment is more about a bargain or clever move and not about a cohesive plan to build a functional squad

Up until this summer it looked like a plan and the execution on the field by Smith for the first 6 months was near spot on. This summer we just went completely off the rails. The failure by recruitment to rectify midfield in 2 windows is a cause for concern. Again I don’t think it’s a silver bullet but maybe I’m underestimating what it might do for us.

Of course now the real work starts for Lange. They've (whoever) have got their guy in and that's fantastic, but he should be building up his database and looking for the next guy that will need to be brought in after him starting now.

Of course now the real work starts for Lange. They've (whoever) have got their guy in and that's fantastic, but he should be building up his database and looking for the next guy that will need to be brought in after him starting now.
I think Emery will have enough clout to say he wants a player and Lange goes and gets him, Lange needs to focus on finding future talent. the manager will know who he wants or needs he's managed at clubs the level we aspire to play at

I think Emery will have enough clout to say he wants a player and Lange goes and gets him, Lange needs to focus on finding future talent. the manager will know who he wants or needs he's managed at clubs the level we aspire to play at

True. But the interesting point, for me at least, is that Emery is coming as Manager not coach. Is this a signal that Purslow will be taking a back seat (at last) on the football side? If Emery is taking control then it maybe we will be seeing a number of arrivals and departures (again) as he builds the club in his own image.

Seems like NSWE have had enough of slow progress and there lack of return on their investment and co-incidentally the investment by supporters in higher prices.
(Not sure all of this is in the right thread - apologies Fear et al)

Personally I wonder if Lange's days are numbered. Purslow's Gerrard bus crashed.
Someone usually ends up under them when they do, and not usually CEO's.*

*If only because they don't ride buses as a rule

Personally I wonder if Lange's days are numbered. Purslow's Gerrard bus crashed.

After the result at the weekend, Lange gets a stay of execution from me because its still plausible we haven't completely wasted a few hundred million. Both Dean and Steven definitely did not use the squad to its fullest. Emery will show us who is capable and who isnt.

I was saying before that whoever said we should wait until the season starts and evaluate the squad for new signings is an idiot. I have a strong feeling that person was Lange. After the weekend it looks like he was right and I am the idiot. I think we'll know before the WC starts whether or not we need massive change. I suspect we won't I think we'll be looking at an evolution and not a revolution.

After the result at the weekend, Lange gets a stay of execution from me because its still plausible we haven't completely wasted a few hundred million. Both Dean and Steven definitely did not use the squad to its fullest. Emery will show us who is capable and who isnt.

I was saying before that whoever said we should wait until the season starts and evaluate the squad for new signings is an idiot. I have a strong feeling that person was Lange. After the weekend it looks like he was right and I am the idiot. I think we'll know before the WC starts whether or not we need massive change. I suspect we won't I think we'll be looking at an evolution and not a revolution.

We are short of width in the squad having sold our large collection of erratic wingers. I guess it's the first issue to address. We have players who can do a job in all of the other positions so from there, it's just about strengthening the squad in our push for Europa League dominance.

Lange has made me eat my words on both Dendonker and Young as they now look astute signings. So yeah personally for me he's also gotten a "pardon" and further I don't think massive change will be required as yet.

If they can just ship out those that won't play and replace them with 1st team starters it will be a huge step forward imo.

Probably someone's head needs to roll over Gerrard and if its a toss-up between Purslow falling on his sword or sacking the football man we all know who si going

I think Lange's job should be to identify talent but as with all clubs, any big buys for the starting 11 should be down to the head coach or at least he has the final say.

I always had the final yes or no on anyone who was working on my projects, even though I wasn't in charge of them directly

I agree with the evolution point and don't forget we have a number of youngsters now playing Championship and Scottish Prem football on a regular basis. Surely some thought at least needs to be given to them.

I think Emery sounds like a man who would get along with Lange's data-based approach, and I'd certainly fell more relaxed about Emery having a big say in transfers than Slippy. It should still be a unanimous decision though: Lange + Purslow + Emery and the manager certainly won't end up with players foisted on him like at Arsenal - he would have made that an absolute condition, 100%.

I agree with the evolution point and don't forget we have a number of youngsters now playing Championship and Scottish Prem football on a regular basis. Surely some thought at least needs to be given to them.

Azaz is 22 and if Emery does not think he's better than Buendia Luiz or Kamara in the short term, the lad will move on he's not 18 he needs to play . Tim is 19 and still has a good chance of making it. Kesler has been dropped at Huddersfield .

all 3 plus Ramsey won't make the grade at Villa just yet and there is the problem they need to play but we need to win PL games , hence the loans

I think Emery sounds like a man who would get along with Lange's data-based approach, and I'd certainly fell more relaxed about Emery having a big say in transfers than Slippy. It should still be a unanimous decision though: Lange + Purslow + Emery and the manager certainly won't end up with players foisted on him like at Arsenal - he would have made that an absolute condition, 100%.

Spot on Emery knows players that could go straight into our team , the 3 of them sit down and select who we can afford and the priority. Not buy a left back when we don't need one but we'd like one etc

Will agree to all if you allow me one caveat, Purslow only has a say on the Finance side and to visit and do the "CEO sell" to the player if needed.

Will agree to all if you allow me one caveat, Purslow only has a say on the Finance side and to visit and do the "CEO sell" to the player if needed.
If Purslow tries to overrule or hard-sell a player to Emery I reckon we'd be looking for a new manager sooner rather than later. Purslow must know this.

We are short of width in the squad having sold our large collection of erratic wingers. I guess it's the first issue to address. We have players who can do a job in all of the other positions so from there, it's just about strengthening the squad in our push for Europa League dominance.
True, but this was also Gerrard's choice.

This makes me very curious as to what was going on with Saha when we were in for him. No suprise Gerrard said no.

I suspect Lange and Gerrard were pulling in different directions and Lange has ultimately been proven correct.