Johan Cruyff RIP | Vital Football

Johan Cruyff RIP

nedkelly

Vital Squad Member
Those of us old enough to remember seeing J Cruyff play have been hit hard so far this year. Bowie, Terry Wogan, Glen Frey, Alan Rickman to name but a few.

Until Messi came along it was always who is the best out of Best, Pele, Maradonna and Cruyff?

How he didn't get a winners medal in Germany in 94 is still a mystery as he was head and shoulders above the rest on display. Because of him I think Ajax was everybody's second favourite team for years.

Anybody under 30 on this forum should spend a few minutes on Youtube and marvel at this man. A sad day.

I hadn't realised until I heard some of the tributes of the influence he had on Guardiola and Bergiristrain. Guardiola claims he would never have been given a chance at any other club without Cruyff's insight.

Seems like City may owe him a debt should he manage to take our club to the next level.

An outstanding player, perhaps the most influential European footballer we have ever known. :005:

Netherlands footballing great Johan Cruyff has died of cancer aged 68.

Cruyff, who made his name as a forward with Ajax and Barcelona, was European footballer of the year three times.

He won three consecutive European Cups with Ajax from 1971, coached Barcelona to their first European Cup triumph in 1992 and helped the Dutch reach the 1974 World Cup final, where they were beaten 2-1 by West Germany.

The Dutch FA said: "Words can hardly be found for this huge loss."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35892775