Joe Taylor... | Vital Football

Joe Taylor...

Impalex

Alert Team
Staff member
Does anyone else think like me that he reminds me of Derek Bell (with City from 1980-83)?

Bell scored a goodly number of goals for City, Wikipedia says 33 but I'd venture it was more than that, and the poacher's style is what makes me think of the connection. Plus the pace, of course.

Comments?

Derek Bell 69 league starts and 14 sub appearances, 33 goals.
Cup games 15 starts and 3 sub appearances, 7 goals

Wish the print was bigger, even with my varifocals I struggle lol!
Missed huge chunks of the 80/81 & 81/82 seasons, just one start in 80/81.
Only started 32 games plus 3 appearances in his golden season in the league, scored 23 but 10 were penalties from memory.

Bell had one amazing season, 82 83 he got 29 and was then sold to Chesterfield!
I remember being amazed as it wasnt that much later he turned up at Spalding Utd. I expected so much more of a glittering career for him but i guess he was very much the beneficiary of playing in such an incredibly talented team when he was here.

He was the replacement already at the club when we sold Tony Cunningham to Barnsley. A like for like replacement - not. Just shows the genius of the Murph, seamlessly replacing a 6' 2" power house with a diminutive goal sniffer.

Bell was about the height of Joe Taylor but nothing like as stocky and muscle bound. He was also very left footed but if dear old Michael Hortin was around in those days he wouldn’t have noticed. If anyone wonders why I mention that listen to the post match interview with MS talking about Mandy.

Yes, Taylor is smaller and more powerfully built; Bell was built like Balsa Boy and was injured almost as often. Besides his short-lived purple patch in 1982, he didn't really do much else.

Only started 32 games plus 3 appearances in his golden season in the league, scored 23 but 10 were penalties from memory.
8 of his 23 league goals that season were penalties.

Nothing like as quick as Joe Taylor. Certainly Gordon Hobson, and possibly Glenn Cockerill were quicker.

Did Bell ever break his leg while with City? I know he had various knee and ankle injuries which kept him out for periods of time.

Admittedly from Wiki:

"At the beginning of his second season he broke his leg, which then led to a succession of injury problems."

So, unless I am mistaken...

Two goals he has set up with back heels straight from the training ground. He did exactly the same for Colchester just before he came to us.

Admittedly from Wiki:

"At the beginning of his second season he broke his leg, which then led to a succession of injury problems."

So, unless I am mistaken...
I see from Wikipedia it also says:

"In his first season with the Imps, he scored 20 goals in 46 games."

Which is clearly wrong - he made his Imps debut in November 1979 and scored 5 goals in 25 games.

He suffered an ankle injury in a league cup game at Hull in mid-August 1980 and missed a few games before returning briefly to the side. He then suffered various knee and hamstring troubles for a good part of the remainder of that season.