Jimmy Grummett | Vital Football

Jimmy Grummett

Sorry to hear this. An iconic figure of that era. I seem to remember he had his own "song" (or chant) in the days before players had their own song:

Jimmy Grummett clap clap clap
etc

Don't know if he was still in Lincoln but I remember him living in North Hykeham on Broadway I think, just round the corner from Fosse Way school.

Lincoln Boys c1959-60

Jimmy is the one next to the "big lad" (Keith Fisher). In front of Jimmy is Dave Cullen who was on City's books at one time. Dave died a year ago. That's all I know.View attachment 61256
Brilliant pic. My dad is John Kelly stood to the left of Jimmy as you look. I’ve copied him the pic and hopefully he’ll be able to add to the names.

Stood at the South Park End,I remember once Jimmy Grummett and John Kennedy had a bit of a mix-up which nearly led to a goal. An argument ensued between the 2,when Jimmy turned round and shouted " You said F----ing leave it" !
John let the matter rest after that.

The LCFC twitter says he wore every shirt number (1-11) during his career.

Having nothing better to do I've gone through the Nannestads' book to see when he did so:

1. - He may or may not have worn a shirt with the number 1 on it, but he played half the match in goal v Chester (FA Cup) after John Kennedy went off injured 11th December 1968
2. - First time was v Aldershot 1st May 1971
3. - First time was v Chester 23rd January 1965
4. - His first team debut - League Cup v Millwall 4th November 1963
5. - First time was v Doncaster 21st August 1965
6. - The number most associated with him. First time was v Bradford (PA) 31st October 1964
7. - First time was v Port Vale 12th March 1966
8. - First time was v Chester 10th January 1970
9. - The number second most often worn. His first Football League match - v Oxford 11th April 1964
10. - First time was v Chester 30th December 1967
11. - First time was v Swansea 7th September 1968
Plus:
12. - First substitute appearance was v Stockport 15th March 1966

I've said 'first time', but in some cases (I think 3, 7, 8, 11) it was the only time.

I'll get out a bit more now.