Jimmy Dickinson Statue | Vital Football

Jimmy Dickinson Statue

FACup Triumph

Vital Squad Member
This is as good a time as any to ask for some views on a commemorative statue to Pompey's greatest era.

Jimmy Dickinson is one of a few top players in the Football League's 100 Legends without a public statue. I'm sure this subject has come up before but please share your thoughts with me in any event.

Good idea FACT, but think we need to settle the ownership issue first. I think that's enough to be taking on for now!!

I agree with Tim, we need to make sure we have a club first. something which we are still not certain of.

Gentleman Jim would be turning in his grave if he could see what his championship-winning club has become.

The ownership issue is largely irrelevant and the statue would be good publicity and nostalgia-based marketing that would benefit the club and new owner. I think the best place to situate a statue would be just in front of the Frogmore Road entrance. A lot of public artwork is being stolen for scrap metal these days and it would be safer there.

The ball is rolling on this one so any positive feedback will be gratefully received. Cheers

Great idea. Should certainly be done when everything with the club is sorted.

I reckon though it would be great in the middle of the roundabout near the club shop

FACup Triumph - 21/5/2012 18:04

The ownership issue is largely irrelevant

Disagree. Not much point if there isn't a club! It would stand outside a disused empty stadium!!

The ball is rolling on this one so any positive feedback will be gratefully received. Cheers

So only positive feedback wanted?!

Pick the bones if you want Tim but the club will survive either with the Trust or Balu. Didn't actually specify but positive feedback preferred of course.

As always with your schemes FACT, good luck. I'll look forward to seeing it if you do actually deliver it this time round.

I guess you both have a fair point in the pessimistic sense. Raising £90k as opposed to £25m is a little more achieveable. This scheme UKTony is not by public subscription but by endeavour. The Chairman of the Don Revie statue took 2 years and has said he will help as much as he can.

Any more positive feedback will be gratefully received.

Received a reply from Chief Sports Writer at The News yesterday, who said: "It's an excellent idea". In addition, I have registered the domain name Planet Pompey for this proposal. The working title for the statue is currently "Legacy 50" but if you have a better one do let me know through this thread.

More anon.

Had a meeting yesterday with a recognised scupltor and I'm genuinely excited about moving this forward. The date we are working towards is the 30th anniversary of JD's passing: 8 November 2012.

More anon.

We are not concerned about the site just yet....more focused on the artistic merit of the depiction and the support of the Dickinson family. The club don't pay charities their dues so it it goes without saying the statue will not cost the club.

great idea and something that SHOULD happen - it should have years and years ago!

whilst i applaud the efforts and all i do tend to agree that the future of the club being resolved is the primary issue at the moment. i am also pretty sure that the club will live on, like you are FACT, but i just do not think that you will get the backing on this that you would need until this is the case.

It does appear that FACT likes to come on here every now and again, announcing some sort of scheme or another, will keep talking about it for ages, and then it just disappears. We've had two takeover bids, and now a statue.

What next FACT, will you run for MP???

i agree that a Jimmy Dickinson statue would be a wonderful thing to have, and that we should have had one years ago. But as for this being 'as good a time as any' and that the ownership issue is 'irrelevant' - totally disagree with that.

Any funds or efforts must be put into sustaining the club itself. And then, maybe, if things go well, in a few years time, we might be in a position to start putting up statues.