Jim Smith | Vital Football

Jim Smith

The Imposter

Vital 1st Team Regular
Former Lincoln (and Boston) wing half Jim Smith has died. More familiar as a manager of several clubs, including Portsmouth, Derby, Oxford and QPR, but played for the Imps from 68 to 69. Aged 79.

Yes, I remember him well, a big character, played at Right Half?

Also sad because it was part of my formative years. Started going out with my wife in '68, and taking her to matches (I knew how to court a girl!!); have just told her the news and she remembers him. Known as the Bald Eagle?

Yes, I remember him well, a big character, played at Right Half?

Also sad because it was part of my formative years. Started going out with my wife in '68, and taking her to matches (I knew how to court a girl!!); have just told her the news and she remembers him. Known as the Bald Eagle?

Yeh, Bald Eagle indeed. Played in the same Lincoln side as Ray Harford.

Really sad news.

Part of the Ron Gray soccer academy of future managers and coaches along with Mick Brown, Graham Taylor and Ray Harford. You could also include Bill Taylor but he replaced Smith in the side.

I remember seeing him in a match against Notts County. He went through their player (I remember a cartwheel) and the ref just waved play on. From that day on he was my idol until a certain Mr Freeman came along. R.I.P. Jim.

RIP Jim. He was a major player for us and one of the first names on the team sheet. After he left the Imps he went on to have a long career in the game and was always well respected.

RIP Jim. He was a major player for us and one of the first names on the team sheet. After he left the Imps he went on to have a long career in the game and was always well respected.
Honorary member of The 92 Club, the Bald Eagle will be widely missed RIP

https://www.weareimps.com/news/2019/december/191211-jim-smith/

picture here with Harford. also i think... dave smith, peden, phil hubbard. not sure on the others, or where it was taken. assume it was an away game.

Back row left to right: Jack Lewis, Phil Hubbard, Dave Tennant, Jim Grummett, Ray Harford, George Peden, Jim Smith.

Front row left to right: Bobby Svarc, Gordon Hughes, Norman Corner, Dave Smith, Lewis Thom.

I'm pretty sure it's this game. If so, Bobby Svarc was making his debut.

York 14.12.68.jpg

Back row left to right: Jack Lewis, Phil Hubbard, Dave Tennant, Jim Grummett, Ray Harford, George Peden, Jim Smith.

Front row left to right: Bobby Svarc, Gordon Hughes, Norman Corner, Dave Smith, Lewis Thom.

I'm pretty sure it's this game. If so, Bobby Svarc was making his debut.

View attachment 36678
That's definitely York in the photograph, before they filled the paddock in with seats.

It must be the York game. You can see the distinctive white fencing in the background. This was fairly common on pre-war grounds but had mostly been replaced by concrete walls by the 1960s. Bootham Crescent was an exception. Also from the personnel - this was the only occasion this selection appeared. City presumably wore all red as there would have been a colour clash with York wearing all white (both teams wearing white shorts). Picture is from Colorsport although wrongly identified on their website as being taken 1 Aug 1968.