Jeff Stelling - Soccer Saturday | Vital Football

Jeff Stelling - Soccer Saturday

astonion2

Vital 1st Team Regular
The international break is with us again so not much happening. :grinning:
Jeff Stelling is leaving Soccer Saturday. Having done it for 25 years he has said its time to call it a day. Someone said he was not happy when they replaced the last pundits who he classed as his best mates.
For me Jeff IS Soccer Saturday and somebody suggested after he goes they should call it something else. Dont know what else you could call it but its who gets the job after he's gone. My guess is it would be Julian Warren, the bloke who usually does it when Jeff is not there. I have heard it said the Clinton Morrison is being lined up for it. Really.
Anybody any thoughts on this.

Not watched it in years. I think I realised watching a load of blokes watching football games and giving largely illiterate and uninsightful commentary/ updates wasn't really for me anymore.

The international break is with us again so not much happening. :grinning:
Jeff Stelling is leaving Soccer Saturday. Having done it for 25 years he has said its time to call it a day. Someone said he was not happy when they replaced the last pundits who he classed as his best mates.
For me Jeff IS Soccer Saturday and somebody suggested after he goes they should call it something else. Dont know what else you could call it but its who gets the job after he's gone. My guess is it would be Julian Warren, the bloke who usually does it when Jeff is not there. I have heard it said the Clinton Morrison is being lined up for it. Really.
Anybody any thoughts on this.

Jeff Stelling helps make that programme what it is/was, it wont be the same without him. The sudden replacement of all those pundits was just Sky pandering to the PC brigade and to be honest I've only watched it a few times since they changed them. If Clinton did get the main presenting job, they would lose a huge chunk of viewers - he struggles to string a sentence together

Jeff is soccer Saturday, and unlike the Merse’s and Morrison’s of the world whom Pangloss describes which is very true, he is smart, clued up on the game and witty.

I don’t get how someone like Lee Hendrie who played a few uefa cup games as a sub for us as a career highlight, gets to do punditry on these shows and big games.

No doubt the other reason sky want to make these changes is they have a host and panel of 40+ Year old white men so it’s an opportunity to be more diverse in a game which is very diverse in terms of nationality, sex and colour.

Last edited:
Jeff Stelling helps make that programme what it is/was, it wont be the same without him. The sudden replacement of all those pundits was just Sky pandering to the PC brigade and to be honest I've only watched it a few times since they changed them. If Clinton did get the main presenting job, they would lose a huge chunk of viewers - he struggles to string a sentence together
It used to be compulsive viewing but the changes they made were awful. When they started having the likes of Pullis and Neil Lennon, well it really is bad.

I've read that Stelling is leaving because all his mates were fired in the summer.

The amount of preparatory work he puts in is impressive.

EDIT: SD beat me to it.

Jeff is soccer Saturday, and unlike the Merse’s and Morrison’s of the world whom Pangloss describes which is very true, he was smart, clued you and witty.

I don’t get how someone like Lee Hendrie who played a few uefa cup games as a sub for us as a career highlight, gets to do punditry on these shows and big games.

No doubt the other reason sky want to make these changes is they have a host and panel of 40+ Year old white men so it’s an opportunity to be more diverse in a game which is very diverse in terms of nationality, sex and colour.
I think this is a good point.

The show is very much him, without him, would anyone really care? Inherently the format and concept is stupid, especially in an age where you can just go and stream any game you want.

Without him and other 'personalities' on there the ratings will bomb. That's what people really tune in for rather than to get legitimate updates on scores.

The show is very much him, without him, would anyone really care? Inherently the format and concept is stupid, especially in an age where you can just go and stream any game you want.

Without him and other 'personalities' on there the ratings will bomb. That's what people really tune in for rather than to get legitimate updates on scores.

No, is the answer. The BBC version with Dan Walker and Garth crooks, is nearly as bad as BT sport with Gobby Cabbage, Owen and Chris Sutton (who I hate more than Savage which is tough going).

Yes, it has definitely run its course. Should have canned it when they got rid of Thompson, Le Tiss et al.

Love Jeff, only really watched it to see him at work in any case.

Remember moaning about the changes on here myself, it's just completely sanitised now and car crash tv for me even if Jeff is still trying is best. Wasn't surprised to see him make the announcement.

I rarely tune in now to be honest.

I'll probably get banned for saying this but IMHO Morrison only got the job for reasons of Political Correctness. And he's not the only one.

What would be the odds for Stelling getting the MOTD gig?

Last edited:
They could call it Saturday Soccer ,jobs a good un 👍mind you with Jeff leaving Soccer AM will have to find something else to fill 10 minutes

Is Soccer AM still on??? I thought that had been put out to pasture, Is Helen still on it?

It's obvious what line the PC mad Sky will go down with replacing him.

If BT Sport had any sense (which they don't) they would employ Stelling and the guys who got the boot as they would take a lot of viewers from Sky as a result.

There's always Countdown for him of course. The execrable Anne Robinson is there now. (I only watch it for the lovely Rachel).