Jason Shackell | Vital Football

Jason Shackell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real shame as he was superb for the club last season. Just think he doesn’t fit in with MA’s plans and he certainly appears uncomfortable in the current regime of playing it out from the back. Question is, is that down to him or the players around him who also can’t play the system and just make him look worse than he is. Don’t know, but whatever I just want to thank him for his valuable contribution to the club’s continued progress and wish him all the best for his future plans, whether they be in the US or still in the UK.

Did well for us last season, but has looked very shaky at times this.
Agree, but he’s lost Toffolo at LB and no consistent replacement, his midfield has changed shape and structure and he has Bolger alongside him, who always makes me feel uncomfortable at the back trying to bring the ball out - always wants more time than he has. Great defending, but no good playing out - doesn’t have the vision or decision-making ability to play the ball out to team-mates in space - often seems to play balls to team-mates under pressure, putting them in a very difficult position. I understand entirely if that’s part of the reason Shacks has struggled this year.

I think he's been one of the victims of all the changes and effected by it the most.

I hope that he's remembered for last season, and the first half of this, rather than the last two or three months, though. Aside from a silly couple of sending offs, he breezed through last season and was a cut above L2 level - in my opinion the best in the division.

Perhaps this season has been a year too far, a level too high, too unsettling or a combination of all three but his overall contribution certainly isn't accurately reflected in his final appearances for us.

Fine player for us last season and certainly a big part of the reason we won the league. A season too far this and probably best he can make early arrangements over his future now.

I do have a slight niggle over this announcement though as in effect we have 3 experienced members of the squad, all of whom have played with distinction last season and previously who have in effect been sidelined from first team duty with a clear directive that they will never pull on a City shirt again. I have no doubt that all 3 will be behaving professionally as they all seem that kind of person, but such isolation could have an unsettling effect on the whole squad.

I'm probably reading too much into it and I understand that preparations for next season are underway already it's just a little thing which is nagging away at me for the future

Agree, but he’s lost Toffolo at LB and no consistent replacement, his midfield has changed shape and structure and he has Bolger alongside him, who always makes me feel uncomfortable at the back trying to bring the ball out - always wants more time than he has. Great defending, but no good playing out - doesn’t have the vision or decision-making ability to play the ball out to team-mates in space - often seems to play balls to team-mates under pressure, putting them in a very difficult position. I understand entirely if that’s part of the reason Shacks has struggled this year.

Don’t think you can blame Bolger for Shack’s poorer performances - plus he is as guilty as Bolger for mistakes playing from the back.

Great for us overall though and best of luck to him - if I was him I would have been in America last season when he got the chance.

Just seen Mark Whiley’s article on Shackell and his departure. Sorry Mark I have to say that is one of the worst articles I’ve ever read. Talk about kicking someone when he’s down. I hadn’t realised his below-par performances had resulted from an injury - first I’ve heard that one as a justification. Just assumed It was down to the managerial change and the change of tactics, etc and the timing is right for them. If he was not fully fit he shouldn’t have been in the team. You don’t become a bad player overnight. I can to an extent understand the criticism of him not fronting for interviews as Captain, but not just as a player. Bossie very rarely gives interviews but nobody criticises him. Sorry Mark - you need more balance in your articles (and spellchecking/proof-reading very often).

Fine player for us last season and certainly a big part of the reason we won the league. A season too far this and probably best he can make early arrangements over his future now.

I do have a slight niggle over this announcement though as in effect we have 3 experienced members of the squad, all of whom have played with distinction last season and previously who have in effect been sidelined from first team duty with a clear directive that they will never pull on a City shirt again. I have no doubt that all 3 will be behaving professionally as they all seem that kind of person, but such isolation could have an unsettling effect on the whole squad.

I'm probably reading too much into it and I understand that preparations for next season are underway already it's just a little thing which is nagging away at me for the future

It has been nagging away at me too, particularly the Freck and Pett situation, two good honest pros who have, in effect, been ostracised for, seemingly, no other reason than they do not fit into the manager’s plans. They could both be playing a part on the pitch, and it is not like the team have been playing really well in their absence. We could yet get dragged into a relegation scrap and their nous and experience could give us that extra little bit needed to see us through. Their morale, though, must be pretty low although of course there could be things going on we are not privy to.

It has been nagging away at me too, particularly the Freck and Pett situation, two good honest pros who have, in effect, been ostracised for, seemingly, no other reason than they do not fit into the manager’s plans. They could both be playing a part on the pitch, and it is not like the team have been playing really well in their absence. We could yet get dragged into a relegation scrap and their nous and experience could give us that extra little bit needed to see us through. Their morale, though, must be pretty low although of course there could be things going on we are not privy to.

Off topic here a bit, but like you I dont know how we can just ignore Freck and Pett when the team is lacking in experience, but the ordinary supporter have been told nothing as to their situation. I presume they are fit and being paid good money so imo should be part of the squad to get us out of the current situation. Both have given their all over the past few seasons and contributed to our success, and to treat them like we appear to be doing is wrong. Maybe some on here know more than they can say.

Off topic here a bit, but like you I dont know how we can just ignore Freck and Pett when the team is lacking in experience, but the ordinary supporter have been told nothing as to their situation. I presume they are fit and being paid good money so imo should be part of the squad to get us out of the current situation. Both have given their all over the past few seasons and contributed to our success, and to treat them like we appear to be doing is wrong. Maybe some on here know more than they can say.

On the basis of MA’s interview I’d presume that some took to a change in regime positively whilst others may not have.

There may have been a clique of players that challenged MA when he arrived which has resulted in some being sold and others being ostracised.

Complete speculation though, however they didn’t become bad players overnight so something must have gone on.

If both Freck and Pett are now fully fit again (and I don't know if they are) but if they are then they must at least warrant a place on the bench. But we shall see.

Possibly a certain number of games and they get a contract extension?!. If they are high earners, money we dont want to fork out?.

Unless Frecklington’s clause was ‘play 2 games and we’ll give you a new deal’, I can’t see appearance clauses being a factor. Similar with Pett... he can’t have appeared in much more than 5-6 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.