Janssen, Is There A Way Back? | Vital Football

Janssen, Is There A Way Back?

VitalFootballAdmin

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
Top Poster BelgianSpur asks the question

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7523848">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

What's being said in the forum now?
Click to join the Vital Spurs forum!

Is there a way back?

Vincent Janssen was bought by THFC in August 2016, on the back of a very successful season in the Dutch league. At the time, the purchase was intended to strengthen our attacking options.

Hopefully, at the very least, Janssen would provide adequate cover for Harry Kane, and at best, competition for his place.Back then, several questions about his suitability were raised. An evident lack of pace, a very limited experience of senior football, and a very small sample size of success in a weaker league were the main concerns raised.

On the other hand, Janssen's physicality, power, ability to hold up play and heading prowess were signs of hope that he could become a force in the Premier League. As we all know, Vincent struggled mightily in his first season. Some pointed to his lack of opportunities as a reason, while others questioned whether he was ever good enough in the first place.

Regardless of the opinion, Janssen finished the season very short of confidence, which is never a good thing for a striker.During the last transfer window, the club decided to hedge their bets and buy Fernando Llorente on deadline day. Vincent Janssen was unceremoniously loaned out to Fenerbahce in Turkey shortly after.

The loan was intended to help Janssen rediscover his scoring touch, and re-establish his confidence in a weaker league - essentially, recreating an environment similar to the Dutch league, where he had enjoyed success. At best, it would help him become better and give him a path to the first team at Spurs.

In a slightly less positive scenario, the move would at least rebuild his value in view of an upcoming transfer. Yet nobody really wanted to consider the possibility of him failing altogether.Janssen started his Turkish adventure by scoring 2 goals in his first 3 games.

Sadly, he hasn't scored since, and has now gone more than 2 months without finding the net.

The question is: is there a way back for Vincent Janssen?

This article was from and by BelgianSpur

He clearly struggles for confidence. I do however think he is a better fit for us than Llorente. He at least has some pace and movement. As it stands I would rather him here than be left with what we have.

I agree with RD....its always a disappointment when (for example) a prolific goal scorer comes to the PL and hits a brick wall or cant hit a barn door.

I for one do not believe in Janssens case it is just a question of the PL is a step up, yes it is a step up but the goals are in the same place and the same size, therefore given the right service and/or ensuring he is in the right places....he should still be putting a fair few away.

IMO what we did with him and now Llorente is expect them to fit in with us.....now let me make clear I don't expect us to change everything to fit in with someone joining us.....but when we bring Llorente on for example, then surely it isn't too hard to get a few balls into the box for him to get his head to and knock down for runners. Giving him the same balls as we give Harry isn't going to work.

Go back a few years when we had JD & 2MP..... JD isn't going to get the balls that went into the box for Pete is he.

So in a very roundabout way, I do believe he has a future both with us and the PL but we have to be aware of how he plays, as much as he has to be aware of how we play. Just wish he had gone on loan to Brighton/Burnley etc....that would have done us and him more good.

^ Don't agree. It's the player's job to fit the team. It's the scout's job to try to find players that are adaptable to our system.

The way I see it is we have no idea what Poch or anyone come to that says to potential buys.... either a player will say yes to us just cos its us...or actually asks how they see him fitting in...who knows. Yes of course every player in any position has to fit in with the system....but surely we are not so blind that we cannot see that if we have a 10 foot giant, putting balls into the box may work.

Or if we have a striker that is left footed and scores 90% of his goals with his left foot.....putting the ball down his left may be a good idea.

Ultimately yes its down to the player, but its in our interests to have the ability to change a style or mix and match depending who is on the pitch.....that's how I see it

Its a good debate. Do players need adapt to the team or do we buy players that are a correct fit?

I think I agree with '80. You want to join a certain club, then you bloody well adapt to their MO.

Same in business. You join a company, and whilst you bring your style and methods, you need to adapt to their philosophy ( I hate that word) and ethos.

He was less **** than Llorente , but **** nonetheless.

Sack ALL the scouts and everyone involved in both purchases, you could have bought a small nation with the money wasted on these two piles of ****e.

LOL Chiv don't hold back mate.

Would love a striker with some pace and movement. Rashford perhaps......

Replacing Janseen with Llorente was a masterstroke...

We spent a whole year getting him to the fitness level required and adapting hin to the PL and our style of play, only to deny him a second season.

Why would he want to return?

Is there a way back?

Yes, there is. If he can find his goal scoring form, and assuming Llorente’s still as much of a donkey at the end of the season as he’s been thus far, I could see Janssen being brought back, why not?

Only a way back if he comes back a better player than he left. This RVP taking him under his wing thing hasn't born any fruit yet and Soldado and Ade seem to be hitting form in the same league so he's definitely not showing us what we're missing ATM. I started seeing some small green shoots of potential towards end of last season, like he was more physically ready and just needed confidence but I don't think a loan to Turkey shows any belief by the club that he was getting a 2nd chance with us.

I don't know what the answer is striker wise. So many hit form after an extended run in a team but short of a Kane injury that's not going to happen. I think we need someone who can play off Kane in games where he plays and also play up top on his own so he doesn't just rot on the bench if Kane is fit.

Exactly why not have an option that can play alongside him? Why does it have to be a Kane back up and only that?

A striker with pace, movement, mobility would be very refreshing. And yes that type of striker can play against teams that park the bus. Just look at City's lads. Even Zaha was doing it yesterday for crying out loud.

He’s gone

We would have loaned him out to a British team if he had a future here.

He’s utter trash, so it’s not a loss.

Didn’t think llorente did too much wrong yesterday.

Kinygerbils - 26/11/2017 14:48

He’s gone

We would have loaned him out to a British team if he had a future here.
we tried to, he wanted to stay and fight for a place. Then we signed Llorente and the window closed. So only option was Turkey as their window was still open

According to reports we are looking to recall the goal shy forward.

I don't mind recalling Janssen and selling Llorente. Free some cash to get early signings in the summer.

Pollo - 29/12/2017 15:49

I don't mind recalling Janssen and selling Llorente. Free some cash to get early signings in the summer.
Ideally sell both