James McClean | Vital Football

James McClean

Kevin sheldon

Vital Youth Team
For me he has made a significant contribution to our season and definitely one of the reasons why we have won tight games with his assists or quality finishes. A fine piece of business all round.

However, the relentless abuse he receives match by match is a cause for concern. Being the fiery type, he oftens reacts by goading the away fans or home pending where the fixture is. This is understandable although not sure how sensible.

I do however want to bring attention to a club statement a few months ago stating that any abuse aimed at him will not be tolerated. At the time i thought it was a bold stance but a commendable one.However, despite the continued match by match abuse of him, very little seems to have been done by the club.

This is no criticism of the club because i am in awe in so many ways of the season we are having and the many good decisions being made behind the scenes. However, that club statement has been on my mind. Perhaps others on here can enlighten me.

Chicken and egg innit...they give abuse so he acts like a dick or he acts like a dick and gets abuse. The only thing the club can do is tell him to stop acting like a dick. The other night he didn't seem to get any abuse from the small bunch of Crewe fans and certainly nothing that warranted him standing on the half way line gesticulating to them like somebody demented.

Hope this helps pal.

Chicken and egg innit...they give abuse so he acts like a dick or he acts like a dick and gets abuse. The only thing the club can do is tell him to stop acting like a dick. The other night he didn't seem to get any abuse from the small bunch of Crewe fans and certainly nothing that warranted him standing on the half way line gesticulating to them like somebody demented.

Hope this helps pal.
I'll be honest Hindley, he received a fair amount on Tuesday and long before he scored his goal!

I'll be honest Hindley, he received a fair amount on Tuesday and long before he scored his goal!

Honestly never heard any mate. What can the club do though if he goes to take a corner and one person says summat he doesn't appreciate?.... he brings some of it on himself. Best thing he can do is concentrate on helping his team win and cut out all the other stuff.

This is probably his last season anyway if we go up so he won't have to put with it for much longer.

...I do however want to bring attention to a club statement a few months ago stating that any abuse aimed at him will not be tolerated. At the time i thought it was a bold stance but a commendable one.However, despite the continued match by match abuse of him, very little seems to have been done by the club....

I think the statement was specifically to do with online abuse ... not the "gentle" stuff on here, but some of the more vitriolic stuff directed at him - and others - on social meeja.

I could hear a few kids at the top swapping banter with the East stand but honestly it was so quiet I couldn't hear anything in particular aimed at McClean other than a few boos early on.
According to some on Twitter there had been some sort of abuse targeted at him after he had gone in on a Crewe player like a ton of bricks. A chant that has been aimed at football players that committ fouls for ever and a day but instead of a dirty Wigan B or dirty Bolton B or even Scouse, Cockney or Geordie B they chanted dirty Irish B.
Now this could have been it.

McLean probably gets more abuse than any other footballer in the country. Whilst I don’t agree with some of his views, I admire him for sticking up for himself and giving them some back. He isn’t a dick as he’s been described above. 99% of those giving him abuse would shit themselves if he approached them in person to confront them.

It's going to be hard to make out any abuse aimed at McClean from the opposite end of the ground in the home end but i'm sure when he is down the touchline nearer the fans he gets all sorts.

To be honest i think it's like they are lighting a fire under him to make him play better rather than putting him off so it's counter productive for opposition fans to do it.

He might find that chant multiplied several dozen times at the next home game.
Don't doubt it - question is what will be done - can you imagine the scenes if chants were based on sexuality, skin colour or vax status would be stewards and coppers in the stand headlines on the news fines fm the EFL etc etc.
However as it's a white Irish sectarian lens no one gives a toss - double standards as per.
The England team will be playing a tourney in a racist, homophobic, slave labour using misogynistic despotic pit of a country later this year - but that's OK as well apparently- hypocrites the lot of em 🙄

I think McClean has made a significant contribution to Wigan's season and that ultimately is the main thing. I read an interesting comment from a Wigan fan that was at the match on Tuesday 'abusing McClean is like giving Popeye spinach, he thrives on it'. As a person I admire him a person who stands up for what he believes in. However like a lot of people he has done some really silly things in his past (wearing a balaclava while giving his kids a history lesson was plain stupid). Also I think winding up opposition fans isn't smart either and maybe something the club should have a word with him about. Other than that as a Wigan and Irish fan I love his attitude. By no means the greatest of soccer players you have to appreciate his dedication though.

Maybe not but I don't think they put up with his republican views and he was badgered out.
"Republican views"? Are you trying to imply that it's wrong to hold them?

Bloody hell, and there's me thinking it's a free country. Someone had better tell the Scottish Nationalists ... calling for another vote on independence, bloody hell, they're going to get themselves banished ... or badgered !!!