Jamal Lowe | Vital Football

Jamal Lowe

VitalFootballAdmin

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
We're not into November, with the transfer window not opening against until January, but when it does a deal for Hampton & Richmond's former Barnet forward Jamal Lowe will kick-in.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?573167">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Very impressive record isn't it from the past couple of seasons but can he step up to the Football League?

We'll hope so!

If he's not come in to be involved immediately then why sign him? At 22 he's hardly a kid is he - I wonder who will be on their way out in January as a result...most will think Chaplin but I think he'll stay until the summer (at least) if Smith can be offloaded think he'll go but Hunt doesn't look like he'll play much and will obviously leave in the summer anyway.

IMO always worth taking a punt on a player who has scored that many goals, no matter the level, as it will only be a cheap deal and could land us an absolute gem! Noticed he scored again yesterday so good luck to the kid.

Not exactly short on strikers at the moment.

Chaplin has nailed down his role as lone frontman, and deservedly so. However he rarely plays more than an hour so our back-ups will be important.

Hunt hasn't featured much but came off the bench against Cambridge and looked decent. Held the ball up well and has great experience at all levels.

Main hasn't really done much wrong. He was got his name on the scoresheet a few times and his workrate when he plays is fantastic. The head injury he got pushed him out of the starting XI and has only had a few sub appearances since due to Conor's great form.

Smith offers something a bit different. He can be frustrating to watch when things don't go his way, but as he showed with his hat trick in the Chicken Trade Trophy game against Yeovil he is able to produce moments of quality when given the chance.

Adding Lowe into the mix will probably mean we have to lose at least one of these 4. Like me, everyone will be praying it's not Chaplin. As Rug said Hunt's contract ends in Summer anyway, so he'll probably stick around. Smith is only 25 years old and will be itching to get first team football. If he doesn't get a run in our side between now and January I can see him wanting to find first team football elsewhere.

Of course, another option we might look at is loaning Lowe back to H&R, or another non-league outfit (maybe the Hawks) to get some experience. But either way it's a deal that excites me, I know it's been said to death, but a certain Mr. Vardy was playing at non-league level 5 years ago, when he was Lowe's age, and he's done alright for himself.

I know its not exactly the point of this thread, but I want to know why Chaplin doesn't EVER play a full match. Plenty of youngsters do.

I'm sure he's capable of playing 90 minutes Lorna, but it does seem like he runs himself into the ground at times. Even when he doesn't see much of the ball, he's always making darting runs in behind the back line so his stamina levels would need to be sky high to keep that rate up.

His record would attest to this. I think all of his goals this season have come in the first half of games (mainly because he rarely plays more than 20 minutes of the second half), but you'll notice as well that the runs he makes do seem to be a little more laboured in the second 45.

For me it makes sense to freshen up the front line when we have the options available, and bringing Main or Hunt or even Smith into the fold does give us different options, especially if we're struggling to break down a team.

Completely agree Frippy. Also worth mentioning that he seems to be picking up a lot of silly bookings in games which is another reason to bring him off. Was booked against Plymouth for diving, got booked at the weekend for throwing the ball away and did the same thing against Barnet, I think. He's a young player but he needs to cut that out.

Maybe, I could be wrong, Chaplin's frustration is leading to silly booking? Yep, agree he MUST cut it out as suspension would see us miss out so would he - sitting out could see the door opened to someone else.

I'd be a little frustrated if him as it doesn't seem how well he plays he'll never end a game. Think he's not managed that in ANY game he's started in the league has he?

Having marked his Pompey debut with a goal - within 10 minutes for the reserves against Exeter - Jamal Lowe was on the bench to face Leyton Orient and came on at half time.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?576780">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Pompey forward Jamal Lowe's been waiting for his moment to open his account for the Blues - doing so in front of the Fratton End is never a bad way to go about it.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?580067">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Delighted that Jamal was able to open his Pompey account and it was a well taken goal, not too dissimilar to his wondergoal for the reserves in midweek (albeit beating a lot fewer en route to goal).

Jamal has become the NINETEENTH different player to score for Pompey this season, which in my mind is an outstanding statistic considering we've only used 22 outfield players (Talbot, Davies and Kabamba the three who haven't netted yet).

Talk about everyone pitching in for the team.

Good stats Frippy and it proves the worth of Cookies' tactics of 4-2-4 or 4-2-3-1 as the critics like to call.

It is the formation used my most PL sides and I believe allows you to get more forward thinking players in the side and hence more goal scorers.

Agree with everything already said. I also think it's more effective having multiple goal threats (in our starting line-up and from the bench) as it makes it more difficult for the opposition to shut us down. If we're relying on one main guy, the so called 20 goal a season striker, teams can quite easily target him and put multiple players up against him. With us, you might stop Naismith for example, but then you've got to deal with Bennett/Baker/Roberts/Chaplin/Lowe/etc.

At most points in the season we've had players 'in form' and posing our biggest threat to goal. It was Roberts and Baker in the early part, Chaplin after that, Bennett and most recently Naismith.

We've scored the second highest amount of goals in the league, so as FB says the need for a '20 a season' man is totally unnessessary. We've had strikers that could have fit that role, but didn't fit into our style, the most recent of which was Tubbs.

I'm more than happy to have 4 pontential goal threats on the pitch, with the remaining 6 not shy either.

Like I've said before I, like us all, would LOVE a 20 goal striker but there's a fair few kicking about at Premier League, Championship, league one and league two clubs at clubs doing NOTHING - some going down - so it's better for all to kick in.

As for Lowe, as said, I'm delighted that he's delighted to score that first goal... bring on more.

Hard to justify shoving Lowe straight into the starting line up but I would have him on the bench. I'd play Smith and Chaplin, they have looked dangerous in the limited time they have had on the pitch together. I'd also push Evans up and bring in Buxton, get the back 4 sorted and a little tighter to allow for the extra striker. Smith is no lone striker. I liked Ryan Taylor but his best spell was playing with Tubbs in my opinion. I'd like to see Lalkovic get more game time but if it's 442 then you can't drop Naismith at the moment. So just a couple of changes for me, Bennett for Chaplin, Buxton for Baker, we are then spoilt for choice on the bench, Whatmaugh, Davies, Talbot, Linganzi, Lowe, Hunt, Lalkovic, Baker, Bennett, Roberts... 6 from 10 to sit with O'Brien... or 4 from 6 if you include Whatmaugh and Linganzi as Def/Mid subs (leaving out Davies and Talbot). When I look at this I can't help but think we should have cashed in on Bennett when we had the chance.

Called it exactly as it happened didn't you weller - Smith and Chaplin with Lowe on the bench.

Do agree all in all though that Lowe probably couldn't come straight into the team. Wouldn't call Smith and Chaplin a conventional pairing but it 'seemed' to work on Saturday so hope we see more of it!

Lowe looked good when he came on against Rochdale but his sending off resulted in a ban - this suspension didn't apply to the Checkatrade Trophy when he scored two against Fulham.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?584304">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Chaplin's hat trick and Lowe's debut goal - in the Central League Cup thrashing of Exeter - puts them in contention to face Leyton Orient? Oh, and O'Brien has signed a new Pompey deal.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?576557">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

No, it won't happen - PC won't want the expectation level raised.... 3-6-1 to utilize our squad midfielders, with defenders and mids on the bench in case we score a goal and have to hold on.......

I will gently release my tongue from the cheek in due course :-)