Jadon Sancho | Vital Football

Jadon Sancho

Hominid

Vital Squad Member
I see that we are in imminent danger of losing Jadon Sancho from our academy, with both Arsenal and Tottenham interested in him.

This really upsets me, as he is English and one of our hottest prospects.

i came across this article which expresses how I feel about the issue; our youngsters need to see a route to the first team if we are going to keep any of them. Also, a young player coming in and doing well is a boost for the whole team - just look at the reaction to Foden's debut last night!

Fortgot the link - sorry!

http://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/07/21/jadon-sancho-may-quit-manchester-city-for-arsenal-or-spurs-but-could-anyone-blame-him/

I can't see him breaking into the first team any time soon and so perhaps its for the best.

I can't agree that it's for the best, Tudor - or are we resigned never to see an academy graduate as a first team regular?

Hominid - 21/7/2017 16:57

I can't agree that it's for the best, Tudor - or are we resigned never to see an academy graduate as a first team regular?

It 'grinds my gears' as well Hominid - we're on the same page on that one. I know Pep loves to bring on the youngsters and so perhaps its about time he did something about it.

Hominid - 21/7/2017 16:57

I have watched him on several occasions and he is a gem, but we could lose him, but if he signs for any other top Club he will be in the same situation and financially worse off, so I expect him to sign and be loaned out unless Chelsea offer him better money or a guarantee

Not many 17 year olds get first team action in the Prem. None of the Spurs kids lauded in that article did, 1 still hasn't. Hopefully our 'B' team in Girona will prepare some of these kids for the step up

That article does indeed sum up the dilemma - promising youngsters vs a manager "under pressure to deliver instant results." Pep has little leeway for youth trials which must frustrate him immensely. The margins are wafer thin in the PL and you just know he would get eviscerated if he played Sancho or Foden or Diaz and lost three games in a row. I would hate to lose him too but we need to find a way - maybe the League Cup could be the route?

We have to start playing the youth sometime. Otherwise the academy is a waste. I still can't believe we paid 50mil plus for Walker.

What I don't understand is why he left him out of the tour was it to punish him for being too cocky?
I understand this is why Sturridge left ok under different manager hut it appears to be following him

I read (don't know if any truth in it) that we told him he wasn't going if he didn't sign the deal on offer. Now, you can look at that two ways. We're either 'blackmailing' the kid into signing or making a sensible decision not to include him in our plans if he's not going to commit to being here

The Academy isn't a waste as it will continue to develop players before sending them out on loan/putting them in the shop window and as such will provide revenue that can be spent on buying proven young players from abroad.

As for Sancho (or Foden, Diaz) playing in any of the cups - we have Sane, Silva (x2), Sterling, Red Kev, F25, Yaya, GJ33, Aguero, Delph (F6? Navas?) - to keep happy/active/motivated/ not bored. I know not all of them play in his position but they will all need game time to keep them reminded what their day job is.

And Garcia too, would like to see him more involved this term.

I have to say that I agree with this article - I really think our youth policy needs to change. There has to be a route to the first team, or we really are just a 'hollow youth farm'.

http://www.punditarena.com/football/sokeefe/chelsea-man-city-academies/

Sorry Hominid, I want to see our own youth in our side just as much as the next City fan but that article is just a scathing attack on City and Guardiola, probably penned by a rag.

First up Guardiola was at Barcelona for 5 years and more pertinently spent one of them years with Barca B playing senior football with the youth (cop out my arse) , some of whom he then trusted to promote to the first team, see the difference in our operation where these kids aren't getting the experience of senior football at the club. That's where Girona comes in and why Maffeo still has a chance of making it with us.

What does the author expect? Does he want us to replace seasoned internationals with untested youth players? Come on now, we want to challenge for trophies, that idea is just not feasible.

Does he expect Guardiola to come in and just wave a magic wand after one year in charge to bridge the gap between our academy and the senior squad? A bit unfair that even if it was allegedly foretold ( seems to me there's a lot of things foretold about Pep, just who is doing this foretelling I've no idea).

It's a work in progress. Give him time and let's see what happens.

I was just thinking about this and Neville's snipe at Pep, Chelsea have won the youth Cup three seasons on the trot, you don't see their first team bursting at the seems with their academy players.

Maybe the fact that some youth players train with the 'group' is a sign of a possible avenue of progression?

Agreed that it is possibly unrealistic to replace seasoned performers with untried youth but it would be nice to see a balance where next season for instance Gunn was promoted to back up keeper - or Tosin was named as one of our four centre halves this term - or Angelino (I know he's out on loan) was named as reserve left back.

I think when these lads get their chance they really need to shine, Garcia and Maffeo did alright in the brief playing time they got last season but being alright isn't enough, they need to grab their chance and stand out.

Hopefully Foden can do that this season and make it difficult for Pep not to select him regularly.

Again from the brief edited version, Foden enjoyed playing with better players, found himself some space and tested both rag keepers, but can he do it in a serious game and consistently and will Pep be prepared to gamble.

I suspect that the youth will only get games in the early rounds of the domestic cups and the u23 group which we have entered for the first time.