Jack Payne Joins Swindon Town | Page 2 | Vital Football

Jack Payne Joins Swindon Town

Jack Payne.
Why?

Well, while Payne occasionally picked the right option, it seemed more by chance than design. In contrast, the less popular Hesketh more often saw and played the first time ball to the benefit of his colleague, when you suspected Payne would be having his sixth touch and embarking on a mazy dribble to nowhere.
Pretty much spot on. Good feet, poor brain.
I'd sum him up with "a touch too many".
Not getting a game in front of Hesketh should be worrying for any half decent player.

It was pretty obvious that Payne wasn’t going to get much game time under MA. Whether or not it’s the right decision won’t alter that, we can make better use of that wage on a player deemed far more likely to get serious game time.

Jack Payne.

Most of the really great players have some trait out of the ordinary, which makes them special. Being extremely small is not often one of them but can be. The only time I saw Paul Scholes in his playing career, he was sub in a not very important Champions League group game and as he jogged by warming up, I could n't believe how small he was.

Being that size, no doubt helped him get the ball under control and manipulate it with ease, aided by such a low centre of gravity.

When Payne first arrived at Sincil Bank there were hints of a L1 Scholes as we thrashed Southend. However, being small in a physical game means you have to be pretty exceptional.

Scholes had brilliant vision and a vast array of passing options and a deadly accurate shot. He always knew what he was going to do with the ball before it was even in his possession.

Now a L1 player does not need all of the talents Scholes had, but when his manager had a choice Payne or Hesketh... he invariably chose Hesketh.

Why?

Well, while Payne occasionally picked the right option, it seemed more by chance than design. In contrast, the less popular Hesketh more often saw and played the first time ball to the benefit of his colleague, when you suspected Payne would be having his sixth touch and embarking on a mazy dribble to nowhere.

Payne's end product we ultimately disappointing. That doesn't mean that Hesketh was any good though.

Sure Appleton picked him, but he almost always took him off. Hesketh gave us nothing in terms of goals or assists and they are pretty much the be all and end all for a 'number ten'.

I think you're being kind to him suggesting he brought his teammates into the game more often than not. I felt he slowed us down and was often bullied.

Given a choice of the two I'd pick Payne. Given a choice of either of them or neither of them I'd pick neither.

There's certainly a decent player in there, but one who perhaps is too much of a luxury in a scrap, and the majority of L1 games end up like that.

Went missing for Bradford and, too often, a blunt instrument for us. Good luck to him, but no loss.

Payne's end product we ultimately disappointing. That doesn't mean that Hesketh was any good though.

Sure Appleton picked him, but he almost always took him off. Hesketh gave us nothing in terms of goals or assists and they are pretty much the be all and end all for a 'number ten'.

I think you're being kind to him suggesting he brought his teammates into the game more often than not. I felt he slowed us down and was often bullied.

Given a choice of the two I'd pick Payne. Given a choice of either of them or neither of them I'd pick neither.
Yeah both were very disappointing to say the least, 3 goals between them, no wonder we struggled to win tight games last season .

As has been said earlier, Payne flattered to deceive.

All the components to be a good player- skill, anticipation, vision - but never seemed to able to put them all together for us and his reputation suggests that has been a problem previously.

Too often he would charge head down into a cul-de-sac. And yes, that goal line 'clearance' at Huddersfield. I often wonder if that had gone in, his confidence in finishing might not have been affected and he might have had a much more productive season, he always seemed to panic when confronted with a chance thereafter - or again, was it always thus?

Hope it goes well for him at Swindon (apart from when playing us), and the budget savings are wisely used.

As has been said earlier, Payne flattered to deceive.

All the components to be a good player- skill, anticipation, vision - but never seemed to able to put them all together for us and his reputation suggests that has been a problem previously.

Too often he would charge head down into a cul-de-sac. And yes, that goal line 'clearance' at Huddersfield. I often wonder if that had gone in, his confidence in finishing might not have been affected and he might have had a much more productive season, he always seemed to panic when confronted with a chance thereafter - or again, was it always thus?

Hope it goes well for him at Swindon (apart from when playing us), and the budget savings are wisely used.
I had money on him to score that night :slap:

Very skilful, he should do well in a team where he is allowed to be a play maker. Thought he turned out in one game and was carrying an injury from the start. It was apparent he was not high in MA’s plans quite early on; therefore in everyone’s best interests that he moves on. Good luck Jack.

Never given any sort of a chance by MA, so best that he moves on. He will do well for Swindon.

It has been said that Payne was not a MA-type player. But its becoming increasingly obvious that the only MA-type players are those signed by him. It wouldn't surprise me to see Grant, Anderson and Bolger also moved on in due course.

Not saying there is anything wrong with that. At least he will have to stand or fall this season on the squad he has assembled, and can't blame things on the players he inherited.

Never given any sort of a chance by MA, so best that he moves on. He will do well for Swindon.

It has been said that Payne was not a MA-type player. But its becoming increasingly obvious that the only MA-type players are those signed by him. It wouldn't surprise me to see Grant, Anderson and Bolger also moved on in due course.

Not saying there is anything wrong with that. At least he will have to stand or fall this season on the squad he has assembled, and can't blame things on the players he inherited.

Think you have a very valid point but can see Grant and Anderson being key next year. In particular Grant. Just need to work out if he plays at CM, in the 10, or out left.

Think you have a very valid point but can see Grant and Anderson being key next year. In particular Grant. Just need to work out if he plays at CM, in the 10, or out left.
Grant is not a winger or a left sided midfield player in my opinion. An important season for young Harry, can he perform consistently for long periods and work out issues on the pitch or is he someone who needs constant coaching and dropping to be able to perform for short periods.

Think Grant is a better all round player than Payne. He's the one that can spot a pass and make it. Free role in midfield, if our system allows it. If not, in behind the front man. He'll do well for us next season.

I thought Payne looked really great in the early games.. went off the boil a bit but was an easy scapegoat. Wouldnt surprise me at all if he goes on to better things.

Tbh the whole of our midfield was disappointing last season bar Morrell. The goal return from that area of pitch has been very low since January 2019, big area for improvement imho.
Harry got his usual 7 goals but no one else got more than 2.

We paid some cost towards the move. I get the impression we had players we couldn’t really afford in the new world. Good that we are sensible in reacting to the current situation. I wonder if we are also buying subsidised players I guess we are.