Ivan Toney N/G | Vital Football

Ivan Toney N/G

HullGills

Vital Reserves Team
Banned for 8 months from all football activities for breach of gambling rules, can't play again until 17th January 2024

I'd like to think the penalty would have been the same for a Man City player, not convinced. I like NWBluesFan hope he gets help, similarly unconvinced. Does anyone else think a large number of players are regularly gambling on matches?

I'd like to think the penalty would have been the same for a Man City player, not convinced. I like NWBluesFan hope he gets help, similarly unconvinced. Does anyone else think a large number of players are regularly gambling on matches?

Yes. They are just smarter than Tony.

Yes. They are just smarter than Tony.

You’d just get someone else to lay the bet surely? Even easier if betting online. Hope it’s not an addiction as mentioned, and if it is then hope he gets some help.

Last edited:
Harm from gGambling addiction is no joke and often ends up affecting a lot more than just the individual himself. I genuinely hope he gets the help he needs.

Not read the story but is there a side of the story that says it's a problem to him? I assumed the story is footballers are not allowed to bet on matches they are involved in to prevent any risk of fixing by gambling syndicates.

Problem gambling is a problem in the same way problem drinking, eating or any other addiction. Same as everything if people stay in control then its not an issue.

Most problem gamblers don't see it as a problem to begin with. That's why it's a hidden addiction.

Same with any addiction I guess. I gamble every week and like that skybet has a profit/loss graph for week, month and year. That helps me monitor my spend and remain in control

Arguably it is too easy to gamble now and its dangerous to those who dont retain control

I know a few non league boys that got banned for gambling, rather foolishly (& obviously?) their bets moved the market & they got investigated.

yes he may have a gambling addiction but there are thousands of markets out there - why pick (again foolishly) the one that will get him banned from earning a living?

I assumed the story is footballers are not allowed to bet on matches they are involved in to prevent any risk of fixing by gambling syndicates.

Footballers aren’t allowed to bet on ANY football, not just matches they are involved in.

Same for any sports persons in the sport they play. Otherwise they could have all kinds of inside info, knowledge, influence etc.

Most people would think an EPL player's salary was equivalent to winning the lottery already.

Is there something about winning it rather than earning it that stokes their competitive edge? Or is it just too much spare time that they take to rest and boredom sets in?

I have more sympathy for those that gamble because they think a win will get them out of a financial hole or change their life. Gambling is for mugs, though, unless you are Tony Bloom. You never see a poor bookie.

The only times i have been involved with the lottery is when I have been given scratch cards as presents. As far as bets go, in recent years I have only done the Grand National and given the only profits I have made (rare) to charity.

The odds of winning the NZ lottery jackpot is around 38,000,000 : 1.
To be in it to win it buy 1 ticket per year and put $10 (5UKP) a week in a tin and at the end of the year we 'win' our lottery and go out for a slap up meal and generally treat ourselves.

Toney would be well advised to read Paul Merson or Peter Shilton's biographies. If that doesn't wean him off gambling addiction then not much will.

The odds of winning the NZ lottery jackpot is around 38,000,000 : 1.
To be in it to win it buy 1 ticket per year and put $10 (5UKP) a week in a tin and at the end of the year we 'win' our lottery and go out for a slap up meal and generally treat ourselves.

Yes. There is one sure way of winning the lottery/pools/jackpot whatever.

Don’t buy a ticket each week. Instead put the £10 into a high yield account. At the end of 20/30/40 years you’ll have the half or £1mill jackpot guaranteed.

Never managed to do that myself. Still a sucker for the odd lotto ticket. Never win much.