It's really time for Scally to hang up his boots | Page 4 | Vital Football

It's really time for Scally to hang up his boots

Therealwaldo - 28/9/2017 19:03

Wayne, I think it was a bit of a vanity project to start with. What I do know is that he has become much more of a 'fan' than people give him credit for and, yes, that is from personal experience. He had a gambler's instincts in his early years and that included his early big money purchases starting with Akinbiye, Hess etc. It also included knocking down the old Main Stand before he had the funding fully in place for the Medway Stand. What then happened is the club nearly fell to disaster through ITV Digital and our subsequent 'get out of jail free' card through the bank deal. I think these events have scarred him and he is not willing to take the gambles he did in the past. Whether that is right or wrong who is to tell. What is clear is that there are only a couple of ways of moving forward. One is new money either with or without new ownership. The other is a new ground that clearly won't happen without a whole new set up. I think it is clear that Scally sees the ideal position as delivering a new stadium as a legacy project either as a finished thing or in such a stage of development that it has a good chance of completion. At that point I'm sure he'd be happy to move on.
I agree up to a point that is that Scally will first and foremost look after himself .That in itself leaves us the real possibility that Scally will sell to someone who is far worse than himself .Getting Scally out (as many would want almost at any cost )achieves nothing if the person taking over is far worse .There is of course a chance that we could be far better off too .That chance is in many ways the risk all football clubs take .I do think Scally is ready when the council regional planners rubber stamp a plan .I agree there is no way Scally can move forward on the new stadium without another large investor .He may even ask less if allowed to own a percentage of the club .IE 10% of a championship club with a brand new ground and a million or millions of pound maybe worth a lot more than he has now .
It is possible a deal can be done that Scally wants and is good for us .
If the right man was found there is massive untapped potential Scally is unpopular the average Medway football fan has no faith in Gillingham moving above our current level weather they follow us or not .If a chairman could change that maybe by starting to build a new ground and a better side support could grow very quickly .Have money to keep the prices as they are or less .Start saying the right things and there is a chance for the right person .Even if Scally had the funds today he couldn't do it .He has put to many noses out of joint over too many years .I totally agree Scally's days gambling on this or that player or manager are now gone .Unless a new chairman is close it is very unlikely we will get a top name or major money in the near future .But Scally will keep us guessing because have no doubt he will sell now .Where he wouldn't before because he always believed he could go it alone .

Therealwaldo - 28/9/2017 17:48

Just one small point to add. Remember Scally did something that any one of us could have done. He bought the club for 1. He didn't put any money in because he didn't have it to put in. He put together a creditor agreement to write off the bulk of the debt at that time and the rest, as they say, is history. For all the talk from keyboard warriors, Scally was the only person with the balls to save the club. And, just in case you've forgotten, the deal to buy the club was concluded just short of the 24 hour deadline set by the administrators which, if not met, would have led to them formally winding up the club. That's why I'm forever grateful.

Yep, I'd go along with that !!

At the end of the day, no man on earth would take over a club without thinking he could make a few quid along the way, no-one does it for a hobby. Ok, some may question some of his methods but that's just the man, you have to take the rough with the smooth sometimes. I would suggest he hasn't exactly run us into the ground and would also suggest speaking to a fan of Leeds, Villa, Blackburn, Charlton, Coventry etc etc if you want to hear about chairmen/owners who have taken one gamble too many with their clubs.

Just my view

PhilK66 - 28/9/2017 17:37

Hang up his boots? When did he turn out for us?

Didn't he come on as a late sub and take a penalty in the Brian Moore memorial match to mark the opening of the BMS?

IIRC, the "all star" team we were playing against put three keepers in for it and he (unsurprisingly) missed.

I "stole" a piece of the hallowed turf that day (with the permission of an understanding steward) as a new pitch was about to be laid. Aas far as I know, it's still growing in the garden at my old house.

Aaaahhh, happy days

I think we are all thankful that Scally stepped in with his 1, for sure; as has been rightly pointed out, none of us put our hats in the ring. I certainly was not in a position to do anything or indeed had the skills at the time to put a serious offer together.

But he is a long way from being a white knight; over the years he has taken significant cash from the business and lets not start with the extensions to the house. He has earnt that and whilst I'll moan about taking too much cash from the business, certainly in recent years, given the performances on the field.... I dont consider that action to be risking the clubs future.

The asset stripping does however demonstrate a wilfulness in risking the clubs future ... the ground no longer belongs to the club ...... this action is solely to deliver a cash windfall.... does the chairman deserve a good retirement, just like everybody else, of course ..... but in my opinion, not at the expense of destroying our near-term future.

I thought the ground was returned the football club a few years back? I think the three directors have a loan secured with it.

I might be wrong though it's all a bit muddy.

you are spot on markinkent, the ground sits within the ultimate ownership of GFC holdings; once a transaction to move the club takes place, Gillingham Football Club Ltd will end up with little fixed assets, as it trades as a tenant within a new stadium.

Priestfield will be no-more and I wager not a penny received from the asset stripping will make its way on the field.

The ground and the club belong to Scally, it is of course his right to do whatever he wants with either.

When he does finally leave the club ... I wonder how much of a better place we will be in compared to when he took it over. I would wager the circle being completed.

StroodYesAnotherOne - 29/9/2017 16:51

you are spot on markinkent, the ground sits within the ultimate ownership of GFC holdings; once a transaction to move the club takes place, Gillingham Football Club Ltd will end up with little fixed assets, as it trades as a tenant within a new stadium.

Priestfield will be no-more and I wager not a penny received from the asset stripping will make its way on the field.

The ground and the club belong to Scally, it is of course his right to do whatever he wants with either.

When he does finally leave the club ... I wonder how much of a better place we will be in compared to when he took it over. I would wager the circle being completed.

Your right it wont make its way onto the field and it shouldn't - The funds from the sale of Priestfield will be used to fund the new ground.

But even IF we end up where we were 20 years ago I dont see anyone could complain, cup runs, promotions and Wembley appearances all of which were dream 21 years ago.

PS takes a fair salary for the job he does, he is the one who took a chance and backed us so he has every right to benefit in salary and profits, I cant see how anyone can accuse him of asset stripping .

Ok we are are only one division higher than 20 years ago but look how many other clubs have gone backwards, Blackpool, Coventry, Bradford, Orient and poor old R&D to name a few whilst we are surviving - just

I don't think Scally has any other jobs at present? I don't think he needs one, given he's paid himself and his family over 6 million pounds over the past few years.

6m in how many years - not really just a few. And why should he not employ his family?

I wonder how that compares to the earnings of some of the players we had had over the years, none of them should be paid more than the owner of the business.

Don`t forget that PS was a multi millionaire when he purchased the club, as he has run his business and maintained our status he has the right to remain in that wealth bracket.