It's nearly over | Vital Football

It's nearly over

spireimp

Vital Newbie
On the 7th May 2011 at 5pm I walked out of Sincil Bank in a daze, having witnessed the most abject, spineless performance I have ever seen by a team of professional sportsmen.

I told my daughter that I would not see the Imps play in the Football League again in my lifetime. Given my then age of mid 50's, the turmoil that the Club was in at the time, and the experience of similar clubs (Luton, Oxford, Grimsby), it did not seem an overly pessimistic prediction and I saw nothing in the following 5 years to change my view.

Tomorrow, at a few minutes to 3pm, I shall have a lump in my throat as a team representing Lincoln City Football Club take to the field at Adams Park to once again contest a Football League fixture.

In the last 6 years I have visited some lovely, homely clubs and met many friendly, passionate supporters. I mean them no ill will when I say I hope we never have to go through the pain of those years ever again.

It's nearly over.

197,157,900 seconds
3,285,965 minutes
54,766 hours (rounded down)
2281 days (rounded down)
325 weeks (rounded down)

Between FL games.

spireimp - 4/8/2017 16:55
On the 7th May 2011 at 5pm I walked out of Sincil Bank in a daze, having witnessed the most abject, spineless performance I have ever seen by a team of professional sportsmen.
It's nearly over.

We were certainly not at our best.

I walked out not really knowing what to make of it all.

One of those weird instances where you couldn't quite believe what had happened, yet you could see it coming.