It's Fulham instead of Villa.. | Page 2 | Vital Football

It's Fulham instead of Villa..

If it was Fulham playing SHU it would make a difference? It shouldn't. Also, there are a lot of broken supply chains out there right now because people have failed to adapt to this situation. Singling out the PL when they are largely handling this rather well is, in my opinion, is nit-picking.

I think Parker would have blown a gasket if it had been Sheff Utd, West Brom and Brighton in these next few games. At least with Spurs, Chelsea, Utd he's not expected to pickup too many points in his season plan to stay up.

Might be nit picking to you, but moving to a short term fixed, and mid to long term variable schedule is exactly what football needs to optimise. Lock and loading games so far out is not smart in this environment.

I don't quite follow the argument about the notice given to Fulham in the context of their FAC game v QPR.

Are peeps (and Parker) suggesting that QPR would've fielded a second string team v QPR, i.e, sacrifice FAC to TRY and win some points against us?. They must be shit if their allegedly strong team were held to a 0-0 draw and went on to win in extra time.

Also, Parker is implying that we selected our FAC team based on the upcoming midweek fixture. LOL @ that notion. FFS, we were playing Marine and we applied 'horses for courses' strategy.

I don't quite follow the argument about the notice given to Fulham in the context of their FAC game v QPR.

Are peeps (and Parker) suggesting that QPR would've fielded a second string team v QPR, i.e, sacrifice FAC to TRY and win some points against us?. They must be shit if their allegedly strong team were held to a 0-0 draw and went on to win in extra time.

Also, Parker is implying that we selected our FAC team based on the upcoming midweek fixture. LOL @ that notion. FFS, we were playing Marine and we applied 'horses for courses' strategy.
That fixture I missed Critical QPR v QPR what was the score. lol! Sorry mate only jesting.

True, but we don't know when Parker got his own squad players back on the training ground after their own COVID outbreak and self isolation. We don't even know whether any of them were symptomatic and needed more recovery time than others.

It's not as if he's got great squad depth at the best of times. They played 120 mins and our 2 first teamers had a jog around for 45 :-)

We do need to batter them though.

It wouldn't happen to a big 6 team because they already have midweek fixtures....also they moved Fulham's game against Chelsea which they never would have done for us.

This is just a lot of noise about SFA.

It isn't, Scotty has learned from the master - get your excuses in early and bitch like mad about it at every opportunity.

Who does that sound like?

Scotty's issue is the one of the notice, which I agree with, the notice he's been given, especially under his circumstances is utterly ridiculous.

He has no objection to the game even happening, but telling him on Monday morning is an absolute piss-take, and is disrespectful to Fulham and their position in the PL.

Can you imagine if Jose was given such late notice? he'd be fecking livid.
https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/every-word-angry-scott-parker-19610831

It's quite easy. Just talk to anyone that has ever run a supply chain or manufacturing plant using an ERP system. Talk to the experts who have dealt with way more complexity and variables than the idiots in football. Phone IBM, SAP, Oracle or companies that build this stuff.

The first thing they would do is have a fixed schedule and a variable schedule. So that might be the next 3-4 weeks has to stay locked and loaded and everything after that is able to be recalculated using optimisation algorithms. Every week you change your inputs i.e. teams falling out of cup competitions or having to honour UEFA comps etc. You then make sure every slot is optimised in the football calendar.

Back to today's world, Scotty nailed it with his anger aimed at the PL. If they had made the decision to force him to play us 2 days earlier then his QPR team selection would have been different. He probably would have been upset but importantly he would have been allowed to prioritise some player selections over others. Instead they told him Monday morning and he has a match day squad that have been through 120 mins. He's now got 48 hours to plan for a tough game that didn't exist until yesterday. Utter madness.
So if the Premier League had allowed Fulham to play Chelsea on Friday we would have been faced with 4 games in 8 days at some point. Three consecutive games with 2 days prep. Yes, we would have notice that it's coming but it doesn't really help.

Having said that I have next no experience of supply chain planning so I really can't comment on how the PL compare with industry. Is Covid a typical problem they would face in terms of complexity and variables?

It's quite easy. Just talk to anyone that has ever run a supply chain or manufacturing plant using an ERP system. Talk to the experts who have dealt with way more complexity and variables than the idiots in football. Phone IBM, SAP, Oracle or companies that build this stuff.

The first thing they would do is have a fixed schedule and a variable schedule. So that might be the next 3-4 weeks has to stay locked and loaded and everything after that is able to be recalculated using optimisation algorithms. Every week you change your inputs i.e. teams falling out of cup competitions or having to honour UEFA comps etc. You then make sure every slot is optimised in the football calendar.

Back to today's world, Scotty nailed it with his anger aimed at the PL. If they had made the decision to force him to play us 2 days earlier then his QPR team selection would have been different. He probably would have been upset but importantly he would have been allowed to prioritise some player selections over others. Instead they told him Monday morning and he has a match day squad that have been through 120 mins. He's now got 48 hours to plan for a tough game that didn't exist until yesterday. Utter madness.
Are we saying we shouldn't play Fulham and have no game till the weekend? Should the PL push another Spurs fixture to later in the year when we may have Europa fixtures, I'm really not sure what the PL were expected to do.

Scotty's issue is the one of the notice, which I agree with, the notice he's been given, especially under his circumstances is utterly ridiculous.

He has no objection to the game even happening, but telling him on Monday morning is an absolute piss-take, and is disrespectful to Fulham and their position in the PL.

Can you imagine if Jose was given such late notice? he'd be fecking livid.
https://www.football.london/fulham-fc/every-word-angry-scott-parker-19610831
When should he have been told? Officially when was Villa game called off I can't quite remember?

When should he have been told? Officially when was Villa game called off I can't quite remember?

It was clear the Villa game was unlikely last wednesday, then they should have made a decision, not left it to chance and a final decision should have been made on Friday.

It was clear the Villa game was unlikely last wednesday, then they should have made a decision, not left it to chance and a final decision should have been made on Friday.
That would have been the fairest solution.

I'd be interested to know how many players in the Villa squad had/have the virus. They claimed 10 when the outbreak was announced. That still left more than 14 fit players - the required number to ensure the game goes ahead. Because the announcement was six days ago they will have had time to re-test everyone and separate the negative from the positive. Clearly Villa will have wanted the game postponed. I wonder how strictly the PL are enforcing the 14 fit players rule?

But when was it made? I guess what I'm trying to get at is in all likelihood the PL wanted to give the Villa game every chance to go ahead giving our fixture congestion, I would also point out that if we had known the Fulham game wasn't going ahead may be our team selection against Wolves 3 days earlier might have been different.

I think Parker would have blown a gasket if it had been Sheff Utd, West Brom and Brighton in these next few games. At least with Spurs, Chelsea, Utd he's not expected to pickup too many points in his season plan to stay up.

Might be nit picking to you, but moving to a short term fixed, and mid to long term variable schedule is exactly what football needs to optimise. Lock and loading games so far out is not smart in this environment.

Why would you invest in tech that is most likely needed in a one-off situation unless you planned on naffing over your season ticket holders by regularly changing a significant number of games every year.

There is a reason the word unprecedented is getting used an unprecedented number of times because this situation is unprecedented. If you want to blame anyone blame the Fulham players for not isolating themselves effectively.

Why would you invest in tech that is most likely needed in a one-off situation unless you planned on naffing over your season ticket holders by regularly changing a significant number of games every year.

There is a reason the word unprecedented is getting used an unprecedented number of times because this situation is unprecedented. If you want to blame anyone blame the Fulham players for not isolating themselves effectively.

I can't blame the FFC Covid outbreak on the greater players and staff. Mitrovic was at fault in an isolated incident, but then tested negative.

I might have missed something, but from what I know the rest of the players and their family bubbles were just unlucky with the UK contagious strain, which is trending to 1 in 100. That's why football in England, especially in the South East, should be paused in my opinion. I also see the case for players spending more time away from their family bubbles and staying at club facilities. Every little helps.

As for having more flexible scheduling, I actually don't think season ticket holders would mind too much. My mates have to wait anyway for the broadcasting company's to select the many slots over a slated weekend. That always stops them from making solid plans too far in advance anyway. It turns out that it is not throw away technology, just a modification by the existing tech company, ATOS, that supports a more flexible schedule. It's pointless locking and loading 2nd half of season fixtures when you don't know what teams are in what competitions. It's not just a COVID thing.

There is a way to *cough* tell the piper which tune to play but it does involve giving up the TV revenue. Although Scotty does have a genuine grievance with regard to short notice the solution does solve a problem that was self inflicted.

I thought Parker said he was aware of the potential change last Saturday? At that stage it was only a possibility rather than a confirmation but he could have factored it in.
This is the key point to highlight how Parker is exaggerating the issue. By this point he was aware that it was highly likely to happen. He's just doing the standard approach of saying every one is against us.
There were clearly conversations happening every since villa had the postive results.

However, there's no good reason why this couldn't have been officially decided sooner than it was. It just goes to show the amount of negotiating that the premier league has to do to the TV money gods in order to get anything arranged.

Overall it is a good decision that was made but just should have been done a bit quicker.