'It's a super club' - Gareth Ainsworth 'proud' of his association with Lincoln City | Vital Football

'It's a super club' - Gareth Ainsworth 'proud' of his association with Lincoln City

Jules

Website Owner
Staff member
"Lincoln City legend and Wycombe Wanderers boss Gareth Ainsworth on his former club's success, the prospect of "two horrendously tough games" this season and why the memories of his time at Sincil Bank are still fresh.

It's almost 22 years since Gareth Ainsworth donned the red and whites stripes of Lincoln City for the last time.

For someone who has gone down as an Imps legend, his spell at Sincil Bank was relatively brief at just under two years."

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/its-super-club-gareth-ainsworth-3119492

He was a good player that did well for us and moved on! That’s it.
I really hope this isn’t the start of feathering his nest for the future-surely we have just got rid of that style of football.

I really hope this isn’t the start of feathering his nest for the future-surely we have just got rid of that style of football.
It may be that you were around when Gareth Ainsworth donned The Imps shirt and if so that is your opinion but one I feel is disrespectful. It wasn't just his ability that marked him out, it was his integrity and attitude that made him the complete package. He is the only non Taylor or Murphy player that makes it into my all time Imps XI albeit I'm hopeful that one or two Cowley players will yet break into my thinking for such a dubious honour.

Strange comment...Im pretty sure it wasnt his idea or decision to do an interview for the echo

It may be that you were around when Gareth Ainsworth donned The Imps shirt and if so that is your opinion but one I feel is disrespectful. It wasn't just his ability that marked him out, it was his integrity and attitude that made him the complete package. He is the only non Taylor or Murphy player that makes it into my all time Imps XI albeit I'm hopeful that one or two Cowley players will yet break into my thinking for such a dubious honour.
No Alexander players in there? (Taylor and Murphy were before my time so my team would be pretty much 50/50 Alexander and Cowley.)

Living close to Wycombe, it is not hard to appreciate the immense respect the locals have for Gareth Ainsworth as a manager. That, inspite of us trying to educate them that he is actually Lincoln, through and through.

A delightful guy, who has always worked on a tight budget; he is a humble man who knows how to get the best out of the resources at his disposal. A top Imp who still appreciates his time at Sincil Bank.

The fact that he is the second longest serving manager in the top 4 divisions at nearly 7 years and the Wycombe fans still like and respect him as manager tells you everything you need to know about him.

Comes across as a nice chap and a top player for the Imps. The match wasn't pretty against Wycombe but he does a professional job on limited resources.

Should we ever get to the point when we play pure tippy tappy football like Barcelona, Mansfield and all the other League 2 clubs I hope we don’t insult other teams about their style of football. It’s boring if everyone plays the same and it would be up to us to overcome the opposition.
Sir Gareth was brilliant for us and is a brilliant manager with Wycombe punching far above their weight budget wise. We are still far more Wycombe than Barca and I have no problem with that.

He was an icon at a time when we had precious few of those. I really don’t understand the reason for the snarky comment.

Does anyone follow wycombe’s performances in L1? Or is this view of Ainsworth’s tactics based on a 0-0 draw two seasons ago...

Living close to Wycombe, it is not hard to appreciate the immense respect the locals have for Gareth Ainsworth as a manager. That, inspite of us trying to educate them that he is actually Lincoln, through and through.
I know he’s highly respected at Port Vale too and they consider him one of their own.

Popular guy and with good reason from what I understand.

No Alexander players in there? (Taylor and Murphy were before my time so my team would be pretty much 50/50 Alexander and Cowley.)
The Taylor and Murphy players set the bar very high. Then again my Dad would say The Anderson players topped them. It's probably a generational thing whether you go with Andy Graver, Percy Freeman or Gary Taylor-Fletcher. I don't think there is anyone left to fight the corner for Alan Hall.

The Taylor and Murphy players set the bar very high. Then again my Dad would say The Anderson players topped them. It's probably a generational thing whether you go with Andy Graver, Percy Freeman or Gary Taylor-Fletcher. I don't think there is anyone left to fight the corner for Alan Hall.
The Tilson/Sutton generation are going to have to keep quiet!