It Is A Miracle We Are Sixth! | Page 3 | Vital Football

It Is A Miracle We Are Sixth!

According to BBC Sport:

The average weekly wage for a Premier League player has risen above £50,000 for the first time, says a new study.

Sportingintelligence's Global Sports Salaries Survey says the average annual wage in England's top flight is £2,642,508 - or £50,817 per week.

The £2.6m average for a Premier League player is more than double the equivalent figure in the German Bundesliga (£1.26m) and France's Ligue 1 (£944,4075). Players in Spain's La Liga earn an average of £1.68m annually, while the figure for Italy's Serie A is £1.33m.

Manchester United's weekly wage bill of £5.241m is followed by Manchester City's £5.235m.

Behind them come Chelsea (£4.451m), Arsenal (£4.037m), Liverpool (£3.649m) and Tottenham (£3.154m).

Well, those figures obviously account for our current 6th in the PL position. (Not!) But fails to explain how we have just topped our CL group with the highest points total of all the CL groups.

Swings and roundabouts!

Matic - 6/12/2017 16:03

Taricco the yid - 6/12/2017 13:52

Matic - 6/12/2017 13:14

Nick Real Deal - 5/12/2017 18:57

80deg16minW - 5/12/2017 18:36

IIRC Sissoko was 100% Pochettino.

Maybe because he couldn't get anyone else.

Poch will have agreed on a plan...

First choice: Mane
Second choice: Zaha
Third choice: Sissoko
etc.

What isn't Poch's fault is that we're being priced out of our first choices by relatively small sums, not being able to match wage demands or by being over-insistent on unattractive payment plans. Liverpool got Mane for £34m. We know we were in for him because he was shown around our training ground. So was it the wages? Was it that Liverpool offered a larger sum upfront?

Why would sissoko even be on that list of attacking players, would be my question.

As for mane, it was obvious it was down to wages. Thats the problem. Mane could have been the difference in both of those season we fell just short. He is exactly what the this club is crying out for. Signing him would have allowed us to push eriksen in to the number 10 role.

Sissoko should have never been on this clubs radar, especially at 30m. He was a panic buy, something I thought poch was against.

I've always said I thought he was a panic buy, but the more I've considered it the more I think he wasn't.

• PL Experience
• International Regular for a successful national team
• Fast
• Powerful
• Fairly decent stats in his 3 previous Newcastle seasons (Mins: 9291, Goals: 8, Assists: 15)

Sh1t...Jeez I didn't realise he was that bad.....works out about a goal every 13 games and an assist every 7....whoever he compares with, we need better than that.
I had hoped tonight he may have been able to up his game as pretty much the most experienced player on the pitch.....but sadly that wasn't to be.

No doubt he is right for someone....but its just never gonna be us

It's not amazingly bad when you consider he did play a lot of games for Newcastle as a deeper CM. He is definitely nowhere near the Mane return though. Shows how much we could (potentially) over pay for Sissoko and how Liverpool actually got a bargain.

Perhaps.......and as I have said before his price tag isn't his fault, but as for potentially overpaying, IMO there is no potentially about it, we have..... there is no way we will get anything like our money back. I would love to know definitely what the rationale was in buying him, I mean was it purely 'this might shut the fans up'. Or did Poch truly believe he was an answer, and if so to what question!

My best guess, and I hope I'm right, is that Poch was confident and arrogant enough to think he could get the best out of him. We've all seen him at his best and if Poch managed to get that form out of him consistently we'd all be here saying what a masterstroke it was. Unfortunately it just hasn't happened. I think we can all agree that he has been a thousand times better than last season (which highlights how vital having a pre-season is) but we have not seen anywhere near what he has been capable of in the past.

Obviously I am not sure what Poch is currently thinking about him, but I hope he doesn't become obsessed with getting him back to what was (in effect) a brief spell of being very good...... I just cannot see anything in him that tells me that he will be as asset, in Jan when some clubs are searching for an answer to whatever situation they may be in....I just hope we get an offer for him that we accept

The ratings generally reflect Sissoko did his job in the middle with Winks.

I saw him put one cross field long pass out of play which he apologised for. Otherwise he put the ball into Son to create the first goal. Run his socks off, have a header attempt on target, direct play by advising others where to pass and make himself available for the pass.

He is not a first teamer when all are fit . But a decent squad player. Think about positions or roles he can cover.The money doesn't matter.

Matic - 7/12/2017 11:04

My best guess, and I hope I'm right, is that Poch was confident and arrogant enough to think he could get the best out of him. We've all seen him at his best and if Poch managed to get that form out of him consistently we'd all be here saying what a masterstroke it was. Unfortunately it just hasn't happened. I think we can all agree that he has been a thousand times better than last season (which highlights how vital having a pre-season is) but we have not seen anywhere near what he has been capable of in the past.

His best was never going to be good enough for us. Even if he was more consistent he would never be a master stroke signing. He doesn't have the ability to be that guy.

If Poch was thinking he had the ability to be the man to bring out the best in him it just shows Poch doesn't have a clue what was needed.

Stop making excuses for him and call it as it is. A dumb ass panic buy which has cost us massively.

Nick Real Deal - 7/12/2017 12:29

I saw him put one cross field long pass out of play which he apologised for. Otherwise he put the ball into Son to create the first goal. Run his socks off, have a header attempt on target, direct play by advising others where to pass and make himself available for the pass.

He is not a first teamer when all are fit . But a decent squad player. Think about positions or roles he can cover.The money doesn't matter.

I think we all know that's the best we can ever hope for from Sissoko now; it's a shame, but all he has ever done is prove my original assessment about him to be deadly accurate.

He has a role to play, but when all are fit, it will simply be one of being a late sub or an alturnate in domestic cup games....

Put it this way, if he has a good World Cup - and I'll lay money on him being in their squad - and someone comes along and offers good money for him, we'll rip their arms off.

He'd do well in Italy and perhaps even Spain.

Not quite sure we were watching the same game..... 'Direct Play'....no no no not as you suggest, yes he pointed out passes, but no I don't see that as directing play....more ensuring the ball doesn't get passed him. I will admit that I did say a couple of times after the 72nd minute where he actually moved to be in a position to receive a pass, by that I mean not just standing next to the guy with the ball. Before that absolutely numerous times he was running around in places where if he was passed to all he would have to do is pass back again OR pass backwards...

There was no running into space demanding the ball, making angles, finding good space etc.

As for run his socks off......No No No....he is a ball watcher and a game watcher.... I haven't ever looked at stats re distances etc....but even if his was high, then it would be to ensure he was getting away from the ball, not finding the space to open the game up.

I had hoped last night he would have stepped up his game, bearing in mind the quality of the opposition and his experience compared to virtually all our team......but no.

He is never ever going to be a solution to anything for us....never ever. Unfortunately.

total spurs - 7/12/2017 14:27

Not quite sure we were watching the same game..... 'Direct Play'....no no no not as you suggest, yes he pointed out passes, but no I don't see that as directing play....more ensuring the ball doesn't get passed him. I will admit that I did say a couple of times after the 72nd minute where he actually moved to be in a position to receive a pass, by that I mean not just standing next to the guy with the ball. Before that absolutely numerous times he was running around in places where if he was passed to all he would have to do is pass back again OR pass backwards...

There was no running into space demanding the ball, making angles, finding good space etc.

As for run his socks off......No No No....he is a ball watcher and a game watcher.... I haven't ever looked at stats re distances etc....but even if his was high, then it would be to ensure he was getting away from the ball, not finding the space to open the game up.

I had hoped last night he would have stepped up his game, bearing in mind the quality of the opposition and his experience compared to virtually all our team......but no.

He is never ever going to be a solution to anything for us....never ever. Unfortunately.

How did he get in position for the header on target.? He ran into the box and asked for the ball. Selective memory to say he made no runs. He put the ball into Son for Llorente to score . He was in position to create the move close to their box. Biased and unfair assessment. He did a job for us in MF . Created a goal, had a good attempt himself and contributed all over the pitch. He lasted the whole game and looks fitter than he was.

Well NRD I guess we have to agree to disagree.....the ball was put on his head so he had no choice but to head it.... yes he put the ball to Son who passed to Llorente etc... I don't think I have ever said he does nothing..... I just say what I see and I think that for 90% of the game he does nothing that improves us.... where you really do seem to saying

'Sissoko kicked the ball last night, he cant be all that bad'

My assessment is my assessment....biased hmm, possibly slightly, I do tend to notice what he doesn't do.....but that's only because he doesn't do more often than he does do...

You see him making runs....I see nothing of the sort till the last third of the game and then only a couple..... I saw others making runs and calling for the ball.....but him I saw running near to an opponent and pointing for it to be passed away from him....and as I have said before YES that is also part of a game....but not the whole game..... whether it is confidence, well lack of, or he really thinks that he is doing what a job....who knows.......

But if I am biased then I guess you must be his agent.......... and if you really are please arrange a sell in jan.....

He did have a responsibility of working with Winks in MF so was not going to leave him exposed on his own by making frequent forays up front.

I have repeatedly stated he is not a first teamer. If we sell him for decent money all well and good. But it's destructive to slate him all the time when his performances are improving. He has his limits and has to be utilized accordingly. His ratings are consistently 6 or 7 .

Right now if I had to choose between Sissoko or Dembele to play alongside Winks I'm struggling. So maybe it's just as well he is available and fit.

Well I don't see it as destructive.....more constructive..... Do I wish he was right for us....absolutely

Do I wish his performance warranted an 8, 9 or 10...... absolutely

I think he is performing at a 5 or 6, even with what I consider to be his limitations I cannot see him going past a 7...

As for the dembele/sissoko question.....for me its Dembo all day long, not for how he is playing, but in the hope he can get back to near or at how he was playing..... I just don't see sissoko being able to add to what he is, or isn't doing.

Lastly as for his role with Winksy..... even when winks was operating from in front of the defence Sissoko still didn't make himself available as an attacking force

But we are not going to agree...except that he isn't first team material..

Once he goes I will 'wish him well in his future endeavours'

Fairly sure I was sat in front of one of you lot during the game. A geezer going on for about 86 minutes of the game (when he left to beat the rush to the station) constantly about Sissoko to anyone around him who would listen. "Why did we sign Sissoko" "Look he doesn't know what he's doing" and ironic cheering whenever Sissoko made a mistake. Asked two girls next to him who their favourite players were, when they answered (Kane, Alli and Dier) his response was "the one I don't understand is Sissoko"

We were winning a game 3-0 and all he could comment on for the entire game was Sissoko. Did my nut in.

The way I see it... Sissoko was a mistake but if you look at when that deal got done, we weren't chasing him for the entire window with any seriousness. We clearly had 2,3 maybe even 4 or 5 other options that wouldn't come off for whatever reason and Sissoko was the only one left. So my best guess Poch took him as a calculated risk as he didn't believe he had a better option.

Aside from France, also look what he did to us in the 5-1 - he was deadly on the counter in that game, and I now think that's where he's most useful when in form. Unfortunately for him and for us, majority of games we play in he won't have the opportunity to make his powerful runs into space - and what I've noticed is that on the occasions he does, he doesn't have the other pacey players alongside him to give the ball to/split the defenders so often he's either on his own (and is terrible in such scenarios) or tries to pick a pass through defenders he's already overtaken - to Kane, Eriksen or whoever is following behind.