It can be done quickly! | Vital Football

It can be done quickly!

Long suffering Imp

Vital Squad Member
Apologies for not posting link but can't get it to copy for some reason, perhaps someone can do it for me, but if you go onto "Peterborough today", posh have announced their moving and it could be completed in just two years. (I doubt it but nevertheless, looks like a very quick turnaround).

Apologies for not posting link but can't get it to copy for some reason, perhaps someone can do it for me, but if you go onto "Peterborough today", posh have announced their moving and it could be completed in just two years. (I doubt it but nevertheless, looks like a very quick turnaround).
It's not the building of it, we know that doesn't take *too* long, relatively speaking. It's all the bollocks before that.

MacAnthony has been wanting to move since he bought the Club. It's taken him 14 years to get to this point.

It's not the building of it, we know that doesn't take *too* long, relatively speaking. It's all the bollocks before that.

MacAnthony has been wanting to move since he bought the Club. It's taken him 14 years to get to this point.

"Our shared vision is to create a stadium that is suitable for the football club in the 21st Century, supporting its aspiration to play at a higher level, and will benefit the city as a whole," he said.

"Peterborough needs a stadium that can be used for conferences, concerts, exhibitions and events, which in turn will attract new business, tourism and investment to the city."

"Our shared vision is to create a stadium that is suitable for the football club in the 21st Century, supporting its aspiration to play at a higher level, and will benefit the city as a whole," he said.

"Peterborough needs a stadium that can be used for conferences, concerts, exhibitions and events, which in turn will attract new business, tourism and investment to the city."

I guess *everyone* says that about a new stadium, though.

The problem we have is that it seems linked to the western corridor development and, I think, may even be part of the last phase of that. Decades away.

I guess *everyone* says that about a new stadium, though.

The problem we have is that it seems linked to the western corridor development and, I think, may even be part of the last phase of that. Decades away.

Indeed, the "bollocks before all that" would manifest into the "bollocks after announcement" and rumble on forever. Poshs new ground isn't a stand alone project though, it's also part of a similar type of development for the embankment area.

Whether or not their ground is built wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, should we ever move.

"One aspect that was very clear when we spoke to supporters was the desire for a potential new stadium to be in a central location to Peterborough within walking distance of transport links, local attractions and links to the amenities that are being discussed as part of the City Centre Development Framework.”

A bloke I know was employed by Peterborough council a couple of years ago in some sort of development consultancy role. (High flying shit). He told me discussions had been going on for quite a while over proposed site for their new ground. So the 'before hand bollocks' has taken time to get to this point. Seems the Council have been and are very supportive. It helps I suppose if the club have got the dosh to pay for a 17000 ground. I presume Macanthony and co-owners can stump up the money which will make the next phase faster (less open to doubt) than might be the case if it's less obvious where the money is coming from ( ie. us).

New stadiums tend to attract higher gates for some reason.. so 17k probably a sensible size. Peterbrough could be getting 10k+ regularly with a bit of rejuvenation.

17k initially apparently, which seems a bit ambitious given their attendances.

17k are they having a laugh! Their average gate despite flying high in League 1 is 7,243 that would make the stadium 42% full. The highest they have had this season in the League is 10,071 which included around 2,500 away fans, that's still only 63% full. Can you imagine what 3,851 (their lowest attendance) would look like that's 22% full. London Road is pretty central and is a pretty decent ground so they aren't going to get that much of a new stadium bump!

They would barely get it half full on average in the Championship. Their best average in the Championship last time was 9,111 and the best average they have had in their entire history is 14,203 in 1961!

There's is future proofing and then there rank over optimism! they would need to be in the PL to fill that and their owners might be rich but are they that rich?

17k are they having a laugh! Their average gate despite flying high in League 1 is 7,243 that would make the stadium 42% full. The highest they have had this season in the League is 10,071 which included around 2,500 away fans, that's still only 63% full. Can you imagine what 3,851 (their lowest attendance) would look like that's 22% full. London Road is pretty central and is a pretty decent ground so they aren't going to get that much of a new stadium bump!

They would barely get it half full on average in the Championship. Their best average in the Championship last time was 9,111 and the best average they have had in their entire history is 14,203 in 1961!

There's is future proofing and then there rank over optimism! they would need to be in the PL to fill that and their owners might be rich but are they that rich?
But I think the argument goes that it's much cheaper to initially build the capacity than have to expand at a later stage. They've expressed an intention to host concerts there which was one of the reasons against developing London rd as it didn't meet h&s requirements. Rotherham are already regretting not making theirs bigger. To be fair, 17000 sounds about right to me, I would hope we'd be looking at about the same, any new stadium for any club could be there for donkeys years and has to have growth capacity, both Lincoln and Peterborough are growing rapidly. I think any less than 17000 is probably a bit short sighted.

Last edited:
I think you can get away with 17k if you two tier it and, if the take-up is low, you can put advertising areas in. There was a Club that were doing it not so long ago, but I forget who.

But I think the argument goes that it's much cheaper to initially build the capacity than have to expand at a later stage. They've expressed an intention to host concerts there which was one of the reasons against developing London rd as it didn't meet h&s requirements. Rotherham are already regretting not making theirs bigger. To be fair, 17000 sounds about right to me, I would hope we'd be looking at about the same, any new stadium for any club could be there for donkeys years and has to have growth capacity, both Lincoln and Peterborough are growing rapidly. I think any less than 17000 is probably a bit short sighted.

Doncaster have 15000 and it’s far more than they need. The Keepmoat feels empty with 8000 in, while Sincil Bank feels full. Doncaster are a similar sized club to us who have already reached the levels we aspire to yet their average gate is still less than ours.
12000 will be ample for the Imps.

Doncaster have 15000 and it’s far more than they need. The Keepmoat feels empty with 8000 in, while Sincil Bank feels full. Doncaster are a similar sized club to us who have already reached the levels we aspire to yet their average gate is still less than ours.
12000 will be ample for the Imps.

I can't agree with you on that one. We're one successful season away from championship football, that's what we aspire to. Just look at the teams we'd be playing. A 12000 capacity would be holding us back from the word go. If we do build a new ground, it might serve us for the next 100 years and we'd have outgrown it from the day we gain the next promotion. Leeds, Florist, and Wednesday could bring 5000 with them if the capacity allowed, and Derby and Barnsley wouldn't be far behind. A 12000 capacity wouldn't begin to cover potential growth of home support. Im not advocating a Darlo or MK scenario but any new ground has to prepare us for the future. If our aim is to carry on as we have done for generations bumbling around the lower leagues then fair enough but I think Clive has other ideas.